Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:02 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaDawg View Post
Deacon's assumptions certainly may apply to the predominantly white gay communnity (where they own their own establishments), but they do not apply to the predominantly African-American gay and lesbian community. There are a few black-owned and operated gay bars and clubs in Atlanta and most other large cities,
Dumb question, but why is that? You would think that in a city like Atlanta with a majority African American population and a large gay population there would be a ton of bars for the African-American gay and lesbian community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:16 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Man damn that... Miami has some of the finest women in Atlanta in there on any given night. The rest I can pretty much agree with. LOL @ central station... the worst of the worst.
Funny you mention that, my bf's Indian friend discovered a new found love for Black women after going to Miami, he always insists we go there because of that, lol! So yeah, I heard this through the grape vine myself. However, for a SBF that is probably not gonna be a draw for her :-)

Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Dayum I swear anything that mentions race in these threads hardly address the actual question.

As some have helpfully mentioned, you can find them everywhere. Atlanta is different because, unlike NYC or DC, you don't have the professional crowds entirely separated from the not-so-professional crowd. I think it keeps things from being too elitist, so I don't mind. However, there are spots to go to where you'd be more likely to find it:

- Castleberry Hill neighborhood- 255 Tapas, M Bar, and Slice among the spots; leans blipster, younger and artsier
- Luckie- later at night on Friday though, before that tends to be a little to Uncle Ray-Ray and 'dem
- Rare Soul Food Tapas- nice lounge/bar in midtown with a hip, professional crowd. Probably the highest concentration of professionals.
- Steel- 5 words: Free sushi Thursday happy hour!; nice midtown spot
- Compound- IMO, THE best club in the city. Fairly mixed with professional and non, but I'd say it's the classiest and the dress code weeds out the nonsense
- Apache- leans artsier/edgier than the above. More neo-soul/conscious rap type of scene than HBCU sorority scene
- Any of the W bars- midtown (whiskey park), buckhead (whiskey peach), or downtown (drinkshop)
- Shout- midtown
- Twist- Buckhead
- FAB- French American Brassiere- look them up for their professional events
- Sundial on top of the Westin- same as FAB, as both are restaurants that frequently host professional mixers/parties

Places I avoid b/c it's not my cup of tea and probably wouldn't be yours:

-Central Station- never go under ANY circumstances. hood to the max and I can only take my hood in doses
- Esso, Echelon 3000 and Velvet Room- strip mall clubs take away all the sexy by virtue of being in a strip mall
- Club Miami- all of the above applies

Mixed bag, but still fun, so go
-Wet Willies
- Tongue and Groove- night club (Monday nights will surprise you with how hype a club can be on a Monday night)
- Opera- nightclub; Thursdays
- The Ultimate Bar and Grill- leans more bou-ghetto than all the above, and leans toward not being my cup of tea, but I do have fun there. I just don't make it my regular spot. Again I can only take the hoodness in doses
- Primal (midtown)
- Sutra (midtown)

And of course other options where we tend to scatter are in racially mixed places in East Atlanta, VA Highlands, Buckhead, and Inman Park.

Nice list and here is a list of the REAL Atlanta parties/events that most people don't know about

Old School Saturday www.oldschoolsaturday.com
5pm Playground Schedule - *
Sunset Lounge www.sunsetloungeatl.com
Zodiac Day Party * - Home
SpreadLove DJ KEMIT PRESENTS SPREAD LOVE
Sweet Thursdays http://madmimi.com/system/promotion_images/0066/5807/STSTRIP0826.png (broken link)
Sol Fusion https://img1.stun1.com/myImages/3354/sol-MJe.jpg (broken link)
First Friday FIRST FRIDAY ATLANTA: KING OF THE JUNGLE: LEO CELEBRATION... - Eventbrite
Professional Relaxation

FYI

Monday: Justins (Happy Hour) + Gold Room
Tuesday: Havana Club
Friday: MJQ

Old 08-25-2010, 08:49 PM

34 posts, read 66,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Dumb question, but why is that? You would think that in a city like Atlanta with a majority African American population and a large gay population there would be a ton of bars for the African-American gay and lesbian community.
It's pretty much the same in every major city with a large enough black gay population. The few bars and nightclubs that are exclusively gay or lesbian and black-owned and operated go wayyyyyy back, like 20 years. I can probably name them all in the USA on both of my hands. Nowadays, it's just cheaper (in the short term), and probably less hassle, for a gay black promoter to rent out an already established spot that needs the business and the crowd. And keep in mind, the crowds, especially the young ones, get fickle and want something "new", moving the party around gives off the mystique that it is new.

Plus, unlike in the predominantly white gay community, there usually isn't one concentrated area of town where black gays live, so there's not much point in always placing our clubs and parties in the gayborhood. You'll find black gays and lesbians in the ATL will have parties anywhere from midtown to the Perimeter to Buckhead to downtown to Decatur to Bankhead. Whereas the white gays stay in the gayborhood.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:05 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,466 times
Good you posted this. Atlanta is a promoter city. So the promoter is just as, if not more than, important as the venue itself. You can go to sutra and it be completely whack one night and hype the next. It's all in who the promoter's clientèle is.

So 5 stars to First Fridays. Those never let me down (and my homie promotes with them, so nice lil hook up :-)!

I would've mentioned MJQ, but that vibe isn't "professional" per se. It's where you go when you ain't tryna be cute and just wanna throw down. And that is definitely a club you want to go to on the right night, because otherwise you'd never be inclined to return *cough* a whack ass, weird ass Saturday techno fest me and my girls got caught up in *cough*

And ilag, Gold Room/Tongue & Groove on Monday? Por que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilag View Post
Nice list and here is a list of the REAL Atlanta parties/events that most people don't know about

Old School Saturday www.oldschoolsaturday.com
5pm Playground Schedule - *
Sunset Lounge www.sunsetloungeatl.com
Zodiac Day Party * - Home
SpreadLove DJ KEMIT PRESENTS SPREAD LOVE
Sweet Thursdays http://madmimi.com/system/promotion_images/0066/5807/STSTRIP0826.png (broken link)
Sol Fusion https://img1.stun1.com/myImages/3354/sol-MJe.jpg (broken link)
First Friday FIRST FRIDAY ATLANTA: KING OF THE JUNGLE: LEO CELEBRATION... - Eventbrite
Professional Relaxation

FYI

Monday: Justins (Happy Hour) + Gold Room
Tuesday: Havana Club
Friday: MJQ

Old 08-26-2010, 05:41 PM

364 posts, read 717,837 times
Quote:

I would've mentioned MJQ, but that vibe isn't "professional" per se. It's where you go when you ain't tryna be cute and just wanna throw down. And that is definitely a club you want to go to on the right night, because otherwise you'd never be inclined to return *cough* a whack ass, weird ass Saturday techno fest me and my girls got caught up in *cough*

Yeah Saturday's at MJQ are wack. Fridays are better, but over the last year its lost a little of it's quirkiness and its starting to look more like most of the other clubs here in the A. IMO that weird vibe is what made MJQ fun, thats why I like Wednesday nights at MJQ better. Noni's on Edgewood is owned by the same person who owns MJQ and its like the new "in spot", since allot of the MJQ regulars kinda stopped going in the last year or so. Edgewood has a couple of new spots that jump off that allot of folks aint up on yet really.

And there is always Smokers Retreat Fridays at Onyx!!!!!!! Cant beat it, from dope boys, to rappers and atheletes to the 9-5 cats, everybody is in there, and believe it or not there are plenty of females who aren't dancers who go in there just to chill.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:49 PM

65 posts, read 181,263 times
I grew up in the Atlanta area and can tell you that there are young black professionals everywhere in the metro area. I would suggest joining a couple of meetup groups that are based in Atlanta and also google Young Professionals Association in Atlanta. I'm sure you already know this, but Atlanta has a huge metro area and it's sprawled out like many urban southern cities. So you may need to check out some of the suburban communities as well. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:39 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Quote:
Good you posted this. Atlanta is a promoter city. So the promoter is just as, if not more than, important as the venue itself. You can go to sutra and it be completely whack one night and hype the next. It's all in who the promoter's clientèle is.

So 5 stars to First Fridays. Those never let me down (and my homie promotes with them, so nice lil hook up :-)!

It's PACKED in both clubs. Check Atlpics.net for pictures of GR on Monday and check alltheparties.com for pics of T&G on Monday.

If you all havent been to Sol Fusion, Old School Saturday, Sunset Lounge, Zodiac Day Party, etc you are missing out!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,112 times
Default I second the rec'd of Gold Room and Tongue & Groove on Mondays.

Quote:

I'm surprised you didnt know about those Bizzie...those spots are jumping on Mondays and is a good mix of Entertainment Industry and Black Professionals mixed in.

And your right in your observation that Atlanta is a promoter driven city where venues & nights are subject to change.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:04 AM

123 posts, read 380,493 times
definitely not at swinging richard's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta