Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,495,144 times

Advertisements

Howdy ATL forum...Good friends of ours are moving to Atlanta next week and they don't know many people. We would like to send them our support in the form of a house warming gift (we live far, in Chicago). They are big wine fans and I wanted to send them a nice bottle in the mail. I know a national type wine delivery service, but is there any local options in Atlanta? I know some nice wineries out here will ship a bottle via just regular fed ex.

Any local wineries that I can order and ship from, or am I better off buying a bottle of wine up here and shipping it myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 AM

47 posts, read 110,478 times
I believe GA is one of the states that doesn't allow you to order wine online, but they allow wine gift baskets. Usually the websites state the laws on them. If you were looking to send GA wine to them, I'd call up the winery directly and ask them the laws. You can find them by googleing them Im sure.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:56 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,095,674 times
This might be a good option for you as it is a local winery. I have not tried their wines but I have friends that said it was very good.

The Winery – Montaluce Winery and Estates (http://www.montaluce.com/our_wines.html - broken link)

I am sure whatever you chose to do will be a wonderful and thoughtful gift.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlR62 View Post
I believe GA is one of the states that doesn't allow you to order wine online, but they allow wine gift baskets. Usually the websites state the laws on them. If you were looking to send GA wine to them, I'd call up the winery directly and ask them the laws. You can find them by googleing them Im sure.

That changed in 2008.

Georgia Wine Shipping Laws

Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 AM

47 posts, read 110,478 times
I guess the rule is different for the website I order from. I like to order from mywinesdirect.com. They only ship gift packs to GA. but Im glad to see the rule changed! Thanks for posting that!!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlR62 View Post
I guess the rule is different for the website I order from. I like to order from mywinesdirect.com. They only ship gift packs to GA. but Im glad to see the rule changed! Thanks for posting that!!
No problem - it was an asinine law anyway.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:20 AM

143 posts, read 346,186 times
I interned at Chateau Elan after college, they do in-state wine shipping: Chateau Elan :: North Atlanta Hotel, Winery, Golf, Spa. Premier Meeting and Wedding Destination.

They're the biggest winery in Georgia, but their wine is kind of...mediocre. Here's a listing of some smaller Georgia wineries and their websites:

Georgia Wineries and Vineyards | Winegrowers Association of Georgia

Old 07-22-2010, 11:09 AM

17 posts, read 41,353 times
Georgia now allows Wine delivery since the law change, since visiting the Santa Barbara area, we have had excellent wines delivered from the Foley, Mosby, Hitching Post and Fess Parker Vineyards.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:23 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,307,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post

Any local wineries that I can order and ship from, or am I better off buying a bottle of wine up here and shipping it myself?
Although Georgia wines have improved in quality in recent years (from grape cool-aid to slightly better than, say, Tellow Tail), our wine is still nothing that would impress a "big wine fan."

If you know of a winery that produces excellent wine, I'd send your frind some of their bottles.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,814,822 times
I don't know if Monteluce has gift cards, but going there is the real treat. Beautiful setting with a a great view of the vineyard and a little lake. The food is fantastic and the wine I tasted was fine. A nice little day trip from Atlanta (about an hour or so depending on where you live).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta