Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:47 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

People have called Atlanta an island of blue in an ocean of red, meaning that Atlanta is pretty liberal, but the rest of Georgia is conservative. But within the Atlanta metro area, are there certain areas to target or avoid? I've heard good things about Decatur, which some have described as the Berkeley of Atlanta. I won't argue whether that's accurate or not. I'm just looking to get an idea of where a nonreligious progressive would have an easier time and where he definitely would not want to be in Atlanta. I'm looking for something more specific than "stay inside the perimeter" or "avoid going too far north". I've heard these answers before, but they're a little too vague. Also, I'm in my 30s so age is another dimension to my question. Obviously, I'd feel out of sorts in area that was nothing but 20something college kids or 60+ retirees. Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
About 5 miles north of Decatur you could live happily believing whatever you believe.
Actually I have lived in many parts of the city and rarely found any problems.

I know that if I worked in Marietta I wouldn't live in Lawrenceville.

Does a work commute matter?

Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
About 5 miles north of Decatur you could live happily believing whatever you believe.
Actually I have lived in many parts of the city and rarely found any problems.

I know that if I worked in Marietta I wouldn't live in Lawrenceville.

Does a work commute matter?
Yes, thanks for bringing that up. I would say being close to MARTA and/or the freeways is very important along with demographics. No kids so quality of schools isn't a huge issue, though it probably will be later on if I wanna buy a place with good resale value. Long-term, the top 4 potential places I could end up working based on my line of work is downtown Atlanta, Alpharetta, Norcross, and Vinings.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
As liberals it seems like we should be able to live around any type of people...isn't the basic liberal doctrine one of acceptance and tolerance? To me, that includes tolerance of all people - including conservatives and radical right-wingers. If you are truly a person is comfortable with who you are and your personal beliefs, I don't see the need to live among people who automatically agree with you.

Of course, each of us is different and I know it may be important to you, but I just wanted to put this out there and see what you think. You may have your reasons for wanting to reside around those who think the same way you do, but remember how important diversity actually is and how much we can learn from those who believe differently from us.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:20 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Yes, thanks for bringing that up. I would say being close to MARTA and/or the freeways is very important along with demographics. No kids so quality of schools isn't a huge issue, though it probably will be later on if I wanna buy a place with good resale value. Long-term, the top 4 potential places I could end up working based on my line of work is downtown Atlanta, Alpharetta, Norcross, and Vinings.
In all of those areas you would be fine.
Vinings might go at the top of the list for an easy commute to downtown, young professional community and access to outdoor recreation near the Chattahoochee River.

To illustrate how the 'Believe As You Will' attitude has caught on take a look at this website>>>
http://www.12stone.com/
The Lawrenceville/Dacula area would be considered 'Conservative' but it is also Progressive.

FWIW--I am personally more of a Moderate, maybe a Libertarian of some kind --socially liberal/fiscally conservative. 'Tolerant'--tried to find common ground of some kind wherever I happened to be.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
In all of those areas you would be fine.
Vinings might go at the top of the list for an easy commute to downtown, young professional community and access to outdoor recreation near the Chattahoochee River.

To illustrate how the 'Believe As You Will' attitude has caught on take a look at this website>>>
12Stone® Church | Lawrenceville, Hamilton Mill, Flowery Branch
The Lawrenceville/Dacula area would be considered 'Conservative' but it is also Progressive.

FWIW--I am personally more of a Moderate, maybe a Libertarian of some kind --socially liberal/fiscally conservative. 'Tolerant'--tried to find common ground of some kind wherever I happened to be.
You stated in one sentence what I stammered around in my previous post...thank you.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
As liberals it seems like we should be able to live around any type of people...isn't the basic liberal doctrine one of acceptance and tolerance? To me, that includes tolerance of all people - including conservatives and radical right-wingers. If you are truly a person is comfortable with who you are and your personal beliefs, I don't see the need to live among people who automatically agree with you.

Of course, each of us is different and I know it may be important to you, but I just wanted to put this out there and see what you think. You may have your reasons for wanting to reside around those who think the same way you do, but remember how important diversity actually is and how much we can learn from those who believe differently from us.

I agree with your thoughts. But applying them in the real world can sometimes be a tough go.

This severe recession is taking a huge toll on people. That in itself is very stressful.

It's difficult to find a good job, a good boss, and a good company these days. Striving to be good at what you do is stressful. Worrying about being laid off is stressful. Worrying about a possible foreclosure is stressful. Worrying about mom and dad's health in their twilight years can be stressful.

Finding quiet time for yourself is difficult. And you're not going to find that during rush hour.

The dating scene can be stressful. It takes a lot of time to find the right person. Fifty-percent of all married couples will eventually divorce. That's stressful.

Finding the right place to call home is a hit and miss proposition. Generally! Sometimes you're lucky and sometimes you're not.

Living with like-minded people can be nurturing and supportive. I would not like to come home at night and have to deal with people unlike myself. Life has enough hurdles without possibly burdening yourself with even more hurdles.

Yes, some people might want to learn more about gays and lesbians. But maybe not. Yes, some people might want to hear someone witnessing for Christ. But maybe not.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
I agree with your thoughts. But applying them in the real world can sometimes be a tough go.

This severe recession is taking a huge toll on people. That in itself is very stressful.

It's difficult to find a good job, a good boss, and a good company these days. Striving to be good at what you do is stressful. Worrying about being laid off is stressful. Worrying about a possible foreclosure is stressful. Worrying about mom and dad's health in their twilight years can be stressful.

Finding quiet time for yourself is difficult. And you're not going to find that during rush hour.

The dating scene can be stressful. It takes a lot of time to find the right person. Fifty-percent of all married couples will eventually divorce. That's stressful.

Finding the right place to call home is a hit and miss proposition. Generally! Sometimes you're lucky and sometimes you're not.

Living with like-minded people can be nurturing and supportive. I would not like to come home at night and have to deal with people unlike myself. Life has enough hurdles without possibly burdening yourself with even more hurdles.

Yes, some people might want to learn more about gays and lesbians. But maybe not. Yes, some people might want to hear someone witnessing for Christ. But maybe not.
I have found myself in an environment recently where the opinions are very different from my own - and I'm not in it by choice but by necessity. But I've found it very possible to find common ground with folks that are almost on the opposite end of the spectrum from myself...and it's actually kind of refreshing. It's difficult at times, but I truly value diversity and really don't want to shield myself from people with opposing viewpoints. But I understand the propensity of some to do so...it's much easier to be around people who agree with you.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:35 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,078 times
Quote:
I have found myself in an environment recently where the opinions are very different from my own - and I'm not in it by choice but by necessity. But I've found it very possible to find common ground with folks that are almost on the opposite end of the spectrum from myself...and it's actually kind of refreshing. It's difficult at times, but I truly value diversity and really don't want to shield myself from people with opposing viewpoints. But I understand the propensity of some to do so...it's much easier to be around people who agree with you.

I'm glad that you have found a niche in a place that didn't look so welcoming initially. That's nice. Liking where you live is so important.

I think older people may have a more difficult time finding that niche. A lot of things are so much easier when you're younger.

Older people do gravitate to retirement communities because they can blend into the community so well.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:

I agree in acceptance and tolerance. But it doesn't always go both ways. You can tolerate someone who doesn't share your views, but what if they don't tolerate you? I've been in situations like that. It's fine at work or some other public place because you can always walk away from them if you need to. But at home, I want to feel like I'm at home and comfortable with my surroundings, not feel like I'm in a foreign land. Wanting to be in an area with more liberals isn't about being intolerant of conservatives or wanting to isolate myself from them. It's more for the social aspect. The friends you make and the people you date are a function of your environment. Imagine if all the people you'd want to be friends with or date lived clear on the other side of town. Makes it kinda hard to spend time with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta