Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:39 AM

16,699 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone (especially those with experience with the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic/New England Corridor)!

I'm moving to Boston in little less than a month and I'm looking for some advice/recommendations. Yes, I'll be driving.

I've done the East Coast I-95 thing several times in the past. But, I've recently learned from earlier threads that I-81 through Virginia and Pennsylvania is the best/quickest route (plus, I've never been this way...and I get to go through West Virginia for the first time!). However, I have a few questions once I reach central Pennsylvania:

To get to Boston, is it best to...

1. Take I-84 (from the Scranton area) through central New England on in to Boston?

-or-

2. Take I-80 or I-78 to the NYC Metro Area and then I-95 up into Boston?

*Any and all information and advice (traffic patterns, mileage, scenery, etc.) is welcome! Thank you in advance!

**Oh, one more thing...is it best to reach I-81 using I-77 (from Charlotte) or I-26 (from upstate South Carolina)???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 02:02 AM

34 posts, read 112,926 times
Well its probably less miles if u take I-78 and go through NYC, but i dont know bad the traffic is in that area. It may take less time if u take I-84 since you dont have to drive through NYC and there won't be as much traffic. To reach I-81 it would be best to go through Charlotte using I-77. If you take I-26 you have to go through alot of mountainous areas and that can take a long time.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:03 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
I'd get to 81 via 75. Take 75 up to Knoxville, then take 40 across to 81- that will avoid the Charlotte traffic. From 81, the 84 trip will be less trafficy, but will be longer (not much)- it'll also be more scenic, so you may want to take that into consideration.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:27 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
Take I-84 from Scranton right up to the end of the route in MA, then take the Mass Pike over to Boston. It's the best route.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:37 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Hello Everyone (especially those with experience with the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic/New England Corridor)!

I'm moving to Boston in little less than a month and I'm looking for some advice/recommendations. Yes, I'll be driving.

I've done the East Coast I-95 thing several times in the past. But, I've recently learned from earlier threads that I-81 through Virginia and Pennsylvania is the best/quickest route (plus, I've never been this way...and I get to go through West Virginia for the first time!). However, I have a few questions once I reach central Pennsylvania:

To get to Boston, is it best to...

1. Take I-84 (from the Scranton area) through central New England on in to Boston?

-or-

2. Take I-80 or I-78 to the NYC Metro Area and then I-95 up into Boston?

*Any and all information and advice (traffic patterns, mileage, scenery, etc.) is welcome! Thank you in advance!

**Oh, one more thing...is it best to reach I-81 using I-77 (from Charlotte) or I-26 (from upstate South Carolina)???
First, you lucky baaastaard
Depends on where you are, if your close to I-85, then 85 to 77 to 81 to 84.
You will bypass all the large metro areas.
If you take 95 you must be careful of the times. Washington and N.VA is a real pain, think 85 Atlanta at rush hour, then NYC

You could take the NJTP to the Tapanzee, or stay 95 over the GW.
I prefer the lower level, a little nutty, but it seems faster as the trucks always take the upper. Also the 95 route is toll city.
Tolls at:
Baltimore Tunnel, MD
Cecil County Bridge, MD
Delaware Line
NJTP ouch!
GW Bridge ouch ouch!

The other way, no toll.

Good Luck, let me know if you need any locations for a sandwich.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 AM

Hello georgiaguy08, Mr. Kovacs, wxjay, and Georgia...

Thank y'all for all of the above information! I've decided on a route and all of y'all's information was very helpful.

I'll be a "Bostonian" come mid-August...weird (but, I'm excited).

Old 07-23-2008, 04:14 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Enjoy the Lobstah Rolls!
Also, get ready for the cost of living in the Boston area in comparison to Atlanta, however, the New England quality of life is grand.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:19 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Don't take I-95 up from NYC to Boston.... Lot's of trucks and other commercial vehicles, plus an ugly drive. Get on the Hutchinson River Pkwy from I-95 and that will turn into the Merritt Pkwy at the CT line and then become the Wilbur Cross Pkwy a few miles later. No commercial vehicles allowed, gas and rest stops every few miles, and a nice tree lined drive with very few, if any, cops around. The WCP will dead end into I-91 south of Hartford. I-91 intesects with I-84 in Hartford and you take it all the way to the end and then the MA Pike on into Boston.

It sounds complicated, but it's not, and you'll have a much better (and shorter) ride. I did this drive many, many times, and I-95 always took me longer.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Don't take I-95 up from NYC to Boston.... Lot's of trucks and other commercial vehicles, plus an ugly drive. Get on the Hutchinson River Pkwy from I-95 and that will turn into the Merritt Pkwy at the CT line and then become the Wilbur Cross Pkwy a few miles later. No commercial vehicles allowed, gas and rest stops every few miles, and a nice tree lined drive with very few, if any, cops around. The WCP will dead end into I-91 south of Hartford. I-91 intesects with I-84 in Hartford and you take it all the way to the end and then the MA Pike on into Boston.

It sounds complicated, but it's not, and you'll have a much better (and shorter) ride. I did this drive many, many times, and I-95 always took me longer.
OK, thanks!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Enjoy the Lobstah Rolls!
Also, get ready for the cost of living in the Boston area in comparison to Atlanta, however, the New England quality of life is grand.
I already know about it...I've been bracing for it for a long time! You don't even want to know the cost of my apartment...!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: