Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:43 AM

32 posts, read 77,924 times

Advertisements

I say tear down the area around Renaissance Parkway and build a lake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 03:02 PM

396 posts, read 601,746 times
nah - i saw we go all in and replace the connector with a river, à la the cheonggyecheon restoration project in seoul. never gonna happen in my lifetime of course, but one can dream...

(source)

actually, this is something i've daydreamed about myself. i've always felt like a natural (or any) body of water somewhere near the CBD is something clearly missing here. almost every other [truly] world-class city has in some form or another, whether a river (through paris or london, etc) lakefront (chicago) or harbor/bay. (sydney, sf, tokyo, etc)

http://www.fastcompany.com/1550925/i...-into-a-stream (video in link)

Old 10-30-2010, 04:00 PM

281 posts, read 617,499 times
The entire Fourth Ward.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:12 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
nah - i saw we go all in and replace the connector with a river, à la the cheonggyecheon restoration project in seoul. never gonna happen in my lifetime of course, but one can dream...

(source)

actually, this is something i've daydreamed about myself. i've always felt like a natural (or any) body of water somewhere near the CBD is something clearly missing here. almost every other [truly] world-class city has in some form or another, whether a river (through paris or london, etc) lakefront (chicago) or harbor/bay. (sydney, sf, tokyo, etc)

Inspired Ethonomics: Seoul Reengineers a Freeway Into a Stream [VIDEO] | Fast Company (video in link)

Key word: restoration

This was a former river. The Downtown Connector and this project are not comparable.

Cheonggyecheon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americancoffee View Post
That's not natural.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:

I think the most logical idea would be to "flood control" Peachtree Creek between mid-Buford Highway and Atlanta Memorial Park (this would have flood control benefits further downstream as well).

The flood control area could then be re-made into a series of RiverWalk-like areas a la San Antonio. Easy flowing stream, narrow lakes with southern-esque gandolas, boats, canoes, etc. (reminiscent of the juke joint scene in The Color Purple).

In "Buford Valley," Peachtree Creek would be lined with Latino/Asian bars, restaurants, outdoor cafes, pubs, etc.

In "Armour Valley" and "Peachtree Valley," a unique scene would be created--saloons, bars, outdoor cafes, pubs, and restaurants based on the Country Soul genre or a newly-created genre/scene known as Southern Fusion.

Yes, this is away from the core CBD, but it is central enought to give Atlanta a nice, new feature. Remember people...think outside of the American city box. Go to or read about places like Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Bogota, etc...and you will be able to understand the concept/idea I outlined above.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:

...And Atlanta doesn't need a water feature that is not natural to the area.

We should just enhance and embrace and improve upon the unique, natural (and beautiful) features we already have.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:23 PM

106 posts, read 232,494 times
Instead of building a lake or whatever, why don't they focus on improving water quality in Atlanta. Anyone else noticed the high amount of iron and other metals in the city water?

Old 11-01-2010, 03:09 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
It would be cool to have a lottery. You lose, and your hood gets drowned.

I'm just saying if I were king we'd get things done.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:48 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
...And Atlanta doesn't need a water feature that is not natural to the area.

We should just enhance and embrace and improve upon the unique, natural (and beautiful) features we already have.
There aren't any unique, natural, and beautiful features in the city proper. Marthasville was a railway crossroad built at an ordinary, uncharacteristic place. Atlanta should have been built around Stone Mountain. Although, does Stone Mountain give off radiation? Or dam the Chattahoochee and create another lake like Lanier but Alabama and Florida won't be keen on that idea while it is filling up. Guess a lot of people would be displaced but I think entire towns were put under water as Lanier was filling up and were briefly uncovered when Lanier's levels dropped (weird sort of time capsules).

Pittsburgh gets little respect but it does have a nice view with an actual city center.

Post-Gazette NOW - Local News - Pittsburgh Panorama

Click on full screen to get the full effect. And it looks good in the daytime too.

Anything That Floats race, North Shore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta