Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 04:23 PM

21 posts, read 45,587 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I lived in Atlanta for awhile but I don't know it inside out. I moved to Toronto and loved it! But sure enough my work is in Atlanta, and the winter season is about to set in so I'm trying to head back South. The problem is I don't know where to move to.

When I lived in Atlanta I found a cute little area called Inman Park/Old Fourth Ward. Yeah I was on the cheaper O4W side, but I had a two bedroom for roughly 1600a month. Now I loved the area, but i didn't love the people. However, i couldn't complain about the pricing of the apartments. 2 bedrooms, covered parking garage, well run maintenance crew. For such an apartment building I was surprised that it wasn't filled with low-income or drug dealers. It was filled with regular yuppies. I appreciated the covered parking deck the most.

I guess my question is, where can i find a low cost apartment that is filled with yuppies and not college students and drug dealers? I was searching for places near Whole Foods but it's so hard to use the computer when you don't know the area inside out. I could recommend my old apartment, but I don't want to go back there.

I want to know a few places to research so that when I come to atlanta next week I can spend a day or two visiting them and quickly signing a lease.

Anyway, my budget is say 800-1100 for a 1 bedroom. I would love to have a washer and dryer in my unit but I can make do without. I just want a nice looking place that is affordable and has regular joes. cheaper the better. but I'm scared to waste time going to a place that says 700$ and being surrounded by loud and obnoxious kids or scary individuals that partake in ganja.

-800-1100$
near whole foods
yuppies
safe
not too family oriented
close to 85 (my work is at spaghetti junction)- i'm willing to drive 20minutes to it.
could be in atlanta, could be anywhere near a whole foods and with people similar to me (not married with kids)

THANKS SO MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,306 times
I'm not sure how long ago you lived in Atlanta, but O4W and Inman Park still sound like your place. Here would be my apartment recs for before you come down, so that you can choose what to visit.

Inman Park:
Highland Walk
Highland Steel
Mariposa Lofts

All of those are great apts, in very safe areas, full of young educated adults. Great walkability, access to transportation, great restaurants, etc.

O4W:
Alexan 360 - Cheaper due to location, but nice apartments. The area is a little rough around the edges, but it's generally safe and getting better by the day. Great walkability to good bars and restaurants, very close to the highway.
Pencil Factory Lofts - might be more of a yuppie/student mix because of proximity to GSU, but great location on MARTA line. Good restaurants in Grant Park and O4W nearby, and in the building is a great corner store with an awesome beer selection. Might want to check it out.

Also check out the new buildings along Glen Iris in o4w. One of them is called Bohemian house, I'm not sure of the others off the top of my head. They should be renting soon, though I'm not sure of their timeframe. Might be worth looking into if you have some time.

There are many more locations/apts that others will chime in with, but this could be a start for your search in areas you already know you like.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM

thanks for this! I lived in Highland Walk, so I know that area really well. I'll look into Pencil Factory and Bohemian House. Are there any places outside of the city, or any niche areas? I'm not opposed to Midtown, Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Druid Hills, and anywhere else a Whole Foods is near by
But those are the big areas. I felt like Inman Park/O4W was a niche area that tourist wouldn't know much about. I'm curious to find out if there's more of those types of areas somewhere

But I'm willing to live in Midtown, or Buckhead, but from what I've seen Id have to spend a good deal not be with students or dealers. Are there any affordable places that I don't have to spend an arm and a leg yet is somehow devoid of said types?

Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,535 times
Oxymoron? Cheap Yuppies.

You can always come up to DC. We have every Ivy leagues people in DC, living with roommates! And some of us who went to a good art school, just live in a tiny little plastic box (that costs equals to a $600k house mortgage) with our pets, with $1000 suits hanging in our tiny little yuppie closets... :.-(

Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,675 times
You can either move to Sandy Springs, Buckhead or right outside of Midtown. I think you would like living outside of Midtown near Inman Park and Virginia Highlands. You will have the reverse commute going to work. Traffic shouldn't be too bad if you learn the back streets.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 PM

do you know any specific apartment buildings that i should look into?

Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,675 times
Visit Promove when you get here. They will give you a list of apartments that are in your price range

Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 PM

Are there no hidden gems?? C'mon atlanta, don't be tight lipped. Lemme know that one nice apartment complex like highland walk in a different area.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:22 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simensays View Post
Are there no hidden gems?? C'mon atlanta, don't be tight lipped. Lemme know that one nice apartment complex like highland walk in a different area.
Look in West Midtown, also. There are a TON of new apartments going in, but there are also nice existing buildings. If you don't know, West Midtown isn't directly in Midtown - it is separated from Midtown by 75/85 and located more behind GT and Atlantic Station. Traffic is getting bad, but it's close to the highway, and there are many restaurants and bars to walk to in the area. For that area, look at apartments near and along Howell Mill. Some complexes are 1016 Lofts, Alexan MetroWest, Apex, Tavoli Tenside. There are plenty of others, just look them up. Look through these forums for new apartment buildings, and you'll see a lot going up in West Midtown with varying opening dates - you'll have to check them out one by one. Just go over to that area while you're here, park and walk up and down the roads there and stop in to see the many apartment buildings. It might also be worth checking if any condo owners in places like White Provision are renting out their condo.

Also, Atlantic Station is turning into a great place. Transit, bike lanes, more local restaurants and stores moving in. I'd take a look at the apartments there, too. Just google Atlantic Station apartments and they'll show up.

Look up apartments in Virginia Highland, Cabbagetown, and Grant Park.

Good luck. Sorry, I don't know anything in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta