Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 15,081 times

Advertisements

Since Atlanta is one of the many places I am researching for relocation, I would love to hear from transplants. Feel free to report what you like. Following are some general questions, if you aren't sure how to get started: Do you like it? Why/why not? What surprises have you had (good and bad)? Do you plan on staying in Atlanta? If so, why, and if not, why not? What has been the biggest change for you? What advice do you have for people considering moving there? How is the dating scene for the 30-45 yr olds?

Thanks for your input! I look forward to reading your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 03:29 AM

88 posts, read 491,573 times
Hello Joi1,

I am a transplant from overseas. I have been used to a little more modern/upscale and busy life. Coming to Atlanta was the biggest shock to me, although I visited last december for 4 days. I am trying to adjust as I am not used to the "laid back" "traditional look of the scenery. It is not my old neighborhood and It is not Miami which I am very much used to. It is quiet, but beautiful....it is also more country than I thought. By the second day of my arrival, I was in tears wondering why I came here so far away when my family resides in Florida. But as the days passed by, I started to appreciate the beauty and the comfort of quiet living. My children are very happy and that is a big plus. The good thing is that I live in Duluth, we just rented a home in a very nice area (Hamilton place), so that kind of makes me feel in my element. I know that we are staying a year here....but experience will tell if by the end of the school year if I am staying or not. An advice that I will throw is that whether you plan on purchasing or renting, you need to come out and do thorough visits. We trusted a realtor/friend with getting a 4 bedroom with basement and yard for us before we arrived. He did good, but the day before we moved, I went to visit and I did not like the house. We lost our deposit, but it was worth it, because I like the house we are getting way much better. Also having a job secured before the arrival is a plus. I am banking on my MBA to find a good job, but it sure is taking a while and the pay is not awesome.

Good luck on your research!

Old 07-15-2007, 08:13 AM

826 posts, read 3,122,809 times
I like Atlanta in general. Its a major city but is still very affordable. I do not like the traffic and the limited public transportation. I believe these two problems go hand in hand. I am suprised at how spread out the burbs are, and at the segregation here. My neighborhood( ITP) isnt really segregated, but alot inthe burbs are. We plan on staying in Atlanta, we both landed great jobs who corporate headquarters are in Atlanta. The biggest change is living in a city where there really isnt much going on downtown. We are from DC though so I guess it may be unfair to compare the two. If you are considering moving here, rent first to determine what area you like. I am married so I have no idea about the dating scene.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:50 AM

563 posts, read 2,775,085 times
I generally like the metro area. I relocated from South Florida (born and raised in Miami, lived in Pembroke Pines immediately before moving) in 2003. I absolutely love the fact that it's more affordable to live here vs. South Florida and Hampton Roads, VA (I lived there for a year 05-06). As an educator, the pay is higher here, and my dollar stretches further. As far as nightlife/entertainment...there is always something to do, and I love the fact that I have a ton of choices when it comes to what I'd like to do.

The things I dislike about the area:
-voluntary segregation. Ever since college I've lived in multicultural communities, and I love it.
-school quality. While the majority of the schools are better than what I left in South Florida, living in Virginia for a year truly spoiled me. The closest I seem to get to VA school quality is Cobb County...and they can be spotty at times.
-lack of decent public transportation.
-traffic

I don't really know about the dating scene, since I didn't meet my significant other here. My best friend doesn't seem to have a problem meeting men here, but she meets most of them through the organizations she's a member of, so I guess that kind of breaks the ice.

I must second renting first. I also recommend getting to know the entire metro area when you begin looking for a home...or at least your region.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:16 AM

75 posts, read 233,856 times
Don't care for it myself. Weather in the summer is awful, I basically have to give up running in July and August for hte heat, humidity, and bad air quality. Traffic is horrendous. Drivers are on average, discourteous and many times, rude and aggressive. Taxes are way higher than I had expected (you pay property taxes on cars, which runs us about $700 a year on 2 cars), and the services you get in return, not very good. In all, I we are not big fans after 5 years, and plan on leaving in the next year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta