Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 PM

8 posts, read 22,129 times

Advertisements

If you are a salary worker and your office was closed due to the storm are you getting your full salary? Do you have to use personal/sick or vacation time for the days off?
We are debating what's legal. In a private business not a government/state job.
Can your (salary) pay be docked or can you be forced to use vacation days if you were told not to come in/the office is closed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:10 PM

397 posts, read 843,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob62 View Post
If you are a salary worker and your office was closed due to the storm are you getting your full salary? Do you have to use personal/sick or vacation time for the days off?
Can your (salary) pay be docked or can you be forced to use vacation days if you were told not to come in/the office is closed?
What's legal? I don't have to pay you at all for work you did not do. If the office was open and you didn't make it, I can not pay you without any legal problems at all OR pay you but charge it against one of your paid time off days. Or, still being legal, I can fire you.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:11 PM

32,029 posts, read 36,813,277 times
I'd say you should not get paid if you didn't work.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:18 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,312,947 times
Probably depends on the size of the company. I'm not gonna debate the merits of whether or not it's right for companies to give administrative leave.

I will simply say that if employers don't see any obligation in compensating their employees for being out on snow days then they (the employers) should be equally willing to sacrifice their own unearned benefits as well.

But I won't hold my breath waiting for THAT to happen...

Quote:

Old 01-14-2011, 07:29 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,947,551 times
It depends on your company. If my office closes, we still get paid regardless and don't have to take vacation days because my department does not allow for us to be assigned laptops. So, we can't actually work at home. But, if a company does assign laptops, you can work from home then you should. If you refuse to, or don't then you should absolutely be expected to use vacation or sick time. If I could have worked all the days my office has been closed due to inclement weather, I sure would have but we handle sensitive information and the powers that be decided that it wasn't necessary to be able to do our work remotely. We certainly didn't miss the amount of days I heard most in the Atlanta area did, but it makes me wonder if a lot of companies will rethink their telecommuting optoins for employees in the future.

I think that the situation in Atlanta probably will never happen again after all the criticism about their response to just a few inches of snow. It is still amazing to think that so little snow shut down a city for nearly a week! I would have been such a happy kid growing up because we would have had snow days all the time. We only got them when we had a few feet of snow!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawk View Post
What's legal? I don't have to pay you at all for work you did not do. If the office was open and you didn't make it, I can not pay you without any legal problems at all OR pay you but charge it against one of your paid time off days. Or, still being legal, I can fire you.
The office was NOT open. The choice to close was made by the company owners

Old 01-14-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd say you should not get paid if you didn't work.
What about the overtime hours I work with no additional salary?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Probably depends on the size of the company. I'm not gonna debate the merits of whether or not it's right for companies to give administrative leave.

I will simply say that if employers don't see any obligation in compensating their employees for being out on snow days then they (the employers) should be equally willing to sacrifice their own unearned benefits as well.

But I won't hold my breath waiting for THAT to happen...
I get that times are tough for small businesses, but if I'm expected to work overtime if needed with no additional pay I feel like if I work less hours I should still get a full salary. To me that's a benefit of being salary over hourly

Old 01-14-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
It depends on your company. If my office closes, we still get paid regardless and don't have to take vacation days because my department does not allow for us to be assigned laptops. So, we can't actually work at home. But, if a company does assign laptops, you can work from home then you should. If you refuse to, or don't then you should absolutely be expected to use vacation or sick time. If I could have worked all the days my office has been closed due to inclement weather, I sure would have but we handle sensitive information and the powers that be decided that it wasn't necessary to be able to do our work remotely. We certainly didn't miss the amount of days I heard most in the Atlanta area did, but it makes me wonder if a lot of companies will rethink their telecommuting optoins for employees in the future.

I think that the situation in Atlanta probably will never happen again after all the criticism about their response to just a few inches of snow. It is still amazing to think that so little snow shut down a city for nearly a week! I would have been such a happy kid growing up because we would have had snow days all the time. We only got them when we had a few feet of snow!
we were told to monitor our emails/voicemails from home, problem was EVERYTHING was closed so we really didn't have to do anything

We'll get another storm like this in 5 or 10 years, and everyone will react the same way lol. It really doesn't pay for the state to buy equipment for a storm that comes every few years

Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,098,926 times
Quote:
We just telecommuted in my office, but I see no reason why an employer couldn't force people to take vacation or even unpaid time if you didn't have any vacation left. It might not be nice, but neither are a lot of businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta