Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:15 AM

16,715 posts, read 29,564,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
I just read this shortly before you posted it on here. It was an interesting read, especially considering how much both schools and society as a whole has changed over the years.

Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,306,065 times
Default Dumbing it down would be part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
...but who is he trying to impress with the big words?
He has a B.A. from Georgetown and a Ph.D. from Yale. Maybe that is just the way he writes. I don't think he should be derided for his vocabulary. If there is a word that you don't know, look it up on dictionary.com. Then there will be even more people that are familiar with each word!

Old 01-22-2011, 04:44 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,540,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
As a former DeKalb County educator and the ex-husband of a current DeKalb County educator, I can attest that this article is accurate. The bureaucracy and top-heaviness that I saw in DeKalb was one of things that drove me out of the field.
Sadly it reminds me of this scene in Wall Street where Gekko is saying how the company has 30 something VPs and he can't figure out what the hell they do.

Dailymotion - Gordon Gekko "Greed Is Good" Full Speech High Quality - a Film & TV video

Old 01-25-2011, 11:12 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,502,804 times
Who is SACS, and where did they get all this power? *| ajc.com

'But it is the school boards, not teaching and learning, that have drawn so much of SACS' attention in metro Atlanta.

DeKalb and Atlanta’s problems are similar to those in Clayton, which in 2008 became the first school system in the nation in nearly 40 years to lose accreditation. All of the problems in these systems are about board governance, power struggles and unethical behavior – not teachers or lack of funding, Elgart said.

“Not one of these systems can say they lack resources. All of the metro systems are well funded,” he said. “It has nothing to do with race or whether a child comes from poverty. It’s how you use those resources to meet a child’s needs.” '

Old 01-25-2011, 01:48 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,104,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Who is SACS, and where did they get all this power? *| ajc.com

'But it is the school boards, not teaching and learning, that have drawn so much of SACS' attention in metro Atlanta.

DeKalb and Atlanta’s problems are similar to those in Clayton, which in 2008 became the first school system in the nation in nearly 40 years to lose accreditation. All of the problems in these systems are about board governance, power struggles and unethical behavior – not teachers or lack of funding, Elgart said.

“Not one of these systems can say they lack resources. All of the metro systems are well funded,” he said. “It has nothing to do with race or whether a child comes from poverty. It’s how you use those resources to meet a child’s needs.” '
Management is failing and isn't being replaced.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Management is failing and isn't being replaced.
In DeKalb --The Manager/Superintendent certainly did fail--forthcoming trial for fraud and fiscal negligence and a laundry list of other charges--and the search is on for a replacement.

I don't even try to keep up with all that goes on with the School Board--expecting a strong reaction from many citizens when the proposal to close 14 schools is finalized.

Lifting my eyes to the heavens--mortal and flawed as we may be surely we can do better than this.

At some point--when the price is right--the DeKalb BOE can at least sell the Briarcliff High School property for a tidy profit--how slowly the wheels of progress turn. My alma mater--fwiw. Not looking too good these days--may it RIP.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:01 PM

'Legislators Target DeKalb Board'
DeKalb school board's size under legislative fire *| ajc.com

<The growing belief that the nine-member DeKalb County school board is too large has hit the state Legislature, where two bills could reduce its size.
House Bill 22, sponsored by state Rep. Mary Margaret Oliver, D-Decatur, would let voters decide in a referendum whether the board should be kept at its current size or cut to seven or five members. The county’s legislative delegation must approve the proposal as local legislation.
As a backstop measure, state Rep. Mike Jacobs, R-Brookhaven, has filed HB 63. It applies only to school boards in counties with a Homestead Option Sales Tax and education tax -- which is only DeKalb -- and mandates a seven-member board.>

Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM

Looks like 'It's On' for DeKalb---

DeKalb removes 24 educators from classroom *| ajc.com

'DeKalb removes 24 educators from classroom
Reassignment linked to CRCT cheating investigation'

^^^^
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has learned that DeKalb’s interim superintendent notified the employees Thursday that they will be re-assigned to other duties while the state investigates their certification.

This afternoon, the district will deliver those findings to the DeKalb district attorney.

“No cheating has been proved and no one has come forward and admitted to cheating," schools spokesman Jeff Dickerson said. "It’s just to keep the district attorney comprised of actions.”

Dickerson said he does not anticipate criminal charges, but it is up to the district attorney if he wants to investigate.

^^^
I suspect that by this time next year--maybe sooner--DeKalb will also be on probation for accreditation. I shudder to think what the next step might be.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 01-27-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-27-2011, 12:53 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,623,081 times
Quote:
"It’s just to keep the district attorney comprised of actions.”
COMPRISED???? COMPRISED???? COMPRISED???? COMPRISED???? And this from the spokesman? Dear God I've got to get out of this town.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,895,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
COMPRISED???? COMPRISED???? COMPRISED???? COMPRISED???? And this from the spokesman? Dear God I've got to get out of this town.
I doubt it's just the town, unfortunately. The dumbing-down of America is proceeding at a clip that's starting to seem frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta