Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:05 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times

Advertisements

We have the World's largest Airport and it is becoming even bigger with the expansion of the new international terminal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 AM

257 posts, read 470,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Florida is warmer, more beaches, better roads.
Also has no economy.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Cape Cod in the summer is Massachusett's only redeeming quality.

I attended the Boston Architectural Center in 1999-2000, and I despised Boston's weather. Always windy, chilly from October thru May, antiquated city streets that are very unpleasant to navigate, meter maids hiding around corners ready to issue multiple tickets for double-parking when you don't have any alternatives....

NYC is always about 10 degrees warmer than Boston, which seems to be affected by Canadian/Nova Scotia weather patterns rather than those in the US

People seemed unfriendly or unhappy or both...

Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
I lived in Boston's Back Bay for four or five years. There are few places like the Newbury / Comm Ave district, the harbor, Harvard Square (yes, folks, I do know that is in Cambridge), etc. There are also few things like Boston winters. I'd say this: if you don't live in Boston proper, then you will likely find Atlanta to be a great place. If you live in Boston proper, you will find Atlanta to be, well, different. Personally, now that I have a family and am older, I prefer Atlanta to Boston, but there is still nothing like wandering through Quincy Market on a spring weekend morning and winding up with a pastry and espresso in the North End.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:06 PM

255 posts, read 464,178 times
One thing that nobody has mentioned is the humidity.

The summer temperatures may not be all that bad, but our humidity is just off-the-scale. You need a shower ten minutes after getting out of the shower in July.

And can't say enough about pollen and allergies. Just absolutely a killer if you have any sort of allergy.

But finally, and this is probably the worst part, I don't know Boston, never been there and have no idea what sort of city it is to live in, but the City of Atlanta (not metro Atlanta) just sucks. Unless you really like smelling urine and being hit up by beggers, there's no walking around in Atlanta and even if you didn't mind those distractions, there's not much to walk to or from. The northern cities I've been to seem to have a lot more neighborhood attractions; neighborhood bars and restaurants, little stores, ice cream shops, etc....things that made it fun to walk around in. With a few exceptions like Little Five Points, there aren't many such areas in Atlanta. When you want to go to a bar, you get in your car and drive ten miles to a bar. When you want to go to a restaurant, you get in your car and drive ten miles to a restaurant.

Don't expect to get to know your neighbor either. He won't be there in two years.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:27 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Cape Cod in the summer is Massachusett's only redeeming quality.

I attended the Boston Architectural Center in 1999-2000, and I despised Boston's weather. Always windy, chilly from October thru May, antiquated city streets that are very unpleasant to navigate, meter maids hiding around corners ready to issue multiple tickets for double-parking when you don't have any alternatives....

NYC is always about 10 degrees warmer than Boston, which seems to be affected by Canadian/Nova Scotia weather patterns rather than those in the US

People seemed unfriendly or unhappy or both...
First lesson to you is that it is always better to use the phrase "In my opinion, ......" when stating something, as it is just your opinion. There are in fact many redeeming qualities that many people can find about Massachusetts. The North Shore, the historic towns, the islands, the Berkshires, etc. etc. just to name a few. It would be strange if I said that Piedmont Park on an Autumn afternoon is Atlanta's only redeeming quality, wouldn't it?

Second lesson: NYC is on average about 2 to 3 degrees warmer than the city of Boston. I have followed the weather around the northeast for many years. Sometimes there is a 10 degree difference (not often) and many times there is no difference (or Boston is in fact warmer ahead of a cold front that has already passed through NYC). I'm sure many New Yorkers wish they were 10 degrees warmer than Boston on average, with the way they've been getting clobbered with snow this winter and the last. Also, the weather that affects Boston comes from the south, west and northwest, but not from Nova Scotia. Sometimes, there can be backlash events from the Gulf of Maine, but that is about it.

Third Lesson: It is not always windy and chilly from October through May .. that is an exaggeration. The weather is variable in October and May with some chilly periods and some warm spells. November can be fairly mild as can April, with the latter seeing the occasional warm day. The winters last 3.5 months - Dec through middle of March.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:46 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
One thing that nobody has mentioned is the humidity.

The summer temperatures may not be all that bad, but our humidity is just off-the-scale. You need a shower ten minutes after getting out of the shower in July.

And can't say enough about pollen and allergies. Just absolutely a killer if you have any sort of allergy.

But finally, and this is probably the worst part, I don't know Boston, never been there and have no idea what sort of city it is to live in, but the City of Atlanta (not metro Atlanta) just sucks. Unless you really like smelling urine and being hit up by beggers, there's no walking around in Atlanta and even if you didn't mind those distractions, there's not much to walk to or from. The northern cities I've been to seem to have a lot more neighborhood attractions; neighborhood bars and restaurants, little stores, ice cream shops, etc....things that made it fun to walk around in. With a few exceptions like Little Five Points, there aren't many such areas in Atlanta. When you want to go to a bar, you get in your car and drive ten miles to a bar. When you want to go to a restaurant, you get in your car and drive ten miles to a restaurant.

Don't expect to get to know your neighbor either. He won't be there in two years.
No, Atlanta is not as pedestrian as Boston. But it certainly doesn't suck, as you put it. I live in Midtown, have known very many of my neighbors for well over 17 years and frequently walk to numerous restaurants, bars, symphony, High, etc. Like any city, your experience all depends on where in the city you live. So, while your negative experience may be true for you, your statement is not only an exaggeration, but quite misleading and doesn't reflect the experience of very many, many, many people. And, trust me - Boston's July / August weather can be just as hot and as humid if not more humid than Atlanta's. I do agree with your allergy statement, though.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:03 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
As far as the OP is concerned I think his priority should be to determine if there is a chance for gainful employment in Atlanta. He may not care for the weather in Boston but he has a stable income there and for most of us that has to be the deciding factor.

I've seen several house hunting episodes on HTV featuring Atlanta --I know the Decatur area has been featured and some part of midtown---without knowing what interested him beyond the price of the houses then it's almost impossible to offer advice.

If he really liked what he saw on episode that featured Decatur--sadly, no, he won't find that in other parts of the metro area.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:11 PM

227 posts, read 494,793 times
If whether is you're biggest issue you may want to reconsider your options. It does get pretty cold in Georgia in the winter and you may not be happy with your move if they is your concern. If your are looking at warmer year around temperatures I say look at California or Florida.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
4 seasons
Translation:
New England 4 seasons = furnace on for six months
Atlanta 4 seasons = air conditioner on for six months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta