Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:16 PM

217 posts, read 409,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Look, if you let these pro-gay types start expressing their opinions, they're liable to argue with everybody who feels that they should just go away and be quiet. Can't gays simply pay their taxes and silently accept the fact that a lot of people, including Chick-Fil-A, are opposed to them having the same rights as the rest of us?

Instead you've got certain ones who go around fussing with just about anybody who points out that they are second class citizens. Why do they feel the need to oppress everyone this way?

It's gotten to the point where a legitimate business can't donate money to an anti-gay organization without some gay person popping up and saying, "That's anti-gay." Whatever happened to the freedom of Americans to say or do anything they want without fear of somebody criticizing them?
I must express my dismay at seeing such well-honed sarcasm flying over people's heads. Think of all the poor children in the world who have no sarcasm at all and here we have it such abundance and fail to appreciate its bounty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Man, Atlanta Greg you have some WEIRD logic -- choosing not to ever eat at CFA because their being closed on Sunday inconveniences you is like not ever shopping at Publix because they're not open 24 hours. But you're entitled to your opinion and I respect that just as I fully respect and support CFA's right to operate as they please.But you're only cheating yourself out of a really tasty sandwich.
This is actually one of the 2 things I really really respect about Chick-fil-a, the other being superb customer service (ie: saying "My Pleasure" as you thank them for promptly and politely taking your order). I don't really give a chicken's butt as to why they close on Sundays, but I think in this day and age of corporations in all industries lowering wages and eliminating benefits to increase profits plus combining jobs duties due to layoffs, it's very refreshing to see a major company like CFA giving employees an entire day off per week to spend with their families or worship if so desired. Newsboy mentioned Publix and that made me remember that Publix pays $1.00 per hour more to those working on Sundays. Same idea but $8.00 extra to give up a Sunday is not worth it, but I guess it's the thought that counts. I've worked too many places where it's expected of you to work every and all weekend plus holidays.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Just saw this story hit online... Barbara Bush (George W's Daughter) apparently just did a TV ad (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110201/ts_yblog_theticket/breaking-with-her-father-barbara-bush-voices-support-for-gay-marriage - broken link). I'm guessing after watching it that she doesn't eat at Chick-fil-A now. LOL.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Hey Greg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Just saw this story hit online... Barbara Bush (George W's Daughter) apparently just did a TV ad (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110201/ts_yblog_theticket/breaking-with-her-father-barbara-bush-voices-support-for-gay-marriage - broken link). I'm guessing after watching it that she doesn't eat at Chick-fil-A now. LOL.
The real entertainment came as I scrolled just a little ways down the comment page for that piece...Wheeeeeoohhhh---the things folks will say in the supposed anonymity of the internet

Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Bottomline, Gays and THEIR intolerance for ANYONE who disagrees with their agenda loose and Chick-fil-a wins. Chick-fil-a wont feel the economic impact of any of this and will most definetely see thier bottomline increase because of the attention that this ridiculous story is generating.
That's exactly right. If you support gay marriage (which isn't 'marriage' anymore than someone who hops the boreder is an 'immigrant'), you're not intolerant of those who happen to oppose gay marriage. In fact, you're to be applauded if you support gay marriage. If you oppose gay marriage, then you're the devil and your business should be shut down, family harassed, whatever it takes to shut you up.

That said, it didn't take this story to illustrate that liberals are the least open minded and least tolerant people in our society. It's just more evidence.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Newsboy mentioned Publix and that made me remember that Publix pays $1.00 per hour more to those working on Sundays.
Is this true? I've never heard of any business doing this.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Is this true? I've never heard of any business doing this.
Yes, back when I was working for Winn-Dixie in management griping about the hours and low pay lol, we were always praising Publix for at least putting their money(change) where their mouth is regarding Sundays. Oh and just heard on Real Radio in Orlando (XM Channel 152 nationally) that Chick-fil-a is dropping support for the anti-gay organization.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Cue The Music---Here We Go Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
That's exactly right. If you support gay marriage (which isn't 'marriage' anymore than someone who hops the boreder is an 'immigrant'), you're not intolerant of those who happen to oppose gay marriage. In fact, you're to be applauded if you support gay marriage. If you oppose gay marriage, then you're the devil and your business should be shut down, family harassed, whatever it takes to shut you up.

That said, it didn't take this story to illustrate that liberals are the least open minded and least tolerant people in our society. It's just more evidence.
First off, Scooby, if you happen to read this, then you understand why I have no beef with you, on this or a whole lot of other issues...you and my other 'sparring partner' know how to dialogue with me, and we can disagree with each other without throwing out the usual 'names' (conservative, liberal, etc)

However, to steal a line from Popeye, 'that's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!'

I don't know about anybody else, but I get danged sick of all these Whining Willie Wieners who get their boxers in a bunch and start having hissy-fits when things aren't done exactly their way...

Quiet as it's kept, I personally don't have a problem with anyone who opposes gay marriage---they are utilizing their basic rights as an American to voice their opposition to something they don't agree with...same as I don't have a problem with those in favor of it either...they're using that same right...

What I DO have a problem with, though, is those who feel that their opposition comes in hand with the right to pass judgement, and to try and tell folks how THEY think they should live their lives...as I said in a previous post, I'm not gay, don't have a desire to be gay, nor do I know what it's like to be gay...but at the end of the day, gay folk are my fellow American citizens, and as such have a right to have their voices heard...that's why my self and several members of my family served in the Armed Forces, so that the voices of ALL citizens can be heard...

Maybe I might be a bit out of touch, but I can't recall seeing or hearing about people's businesses or families being harassed, or anything else of that nature, based strictly upon their opposition to gay marriage...

Here's the main equation...people have the right to OPPOSE gay marriage, without fear of retribution or harassment...people also have the right to SUPPORT gay marriage, without being subjected to a bunch of fat-mouthing from people who feel it's their mission to tell everybody else how to live...

And I'll close with this...I myself am a Democrat, if you want to be technical...I respect the opinions of my conservative brethren, even when I don't agree with them...I'll listen, and dialogue, and swap ideas and opinions with them all day, without once stooping to calling them some knee-jerk codespeak name...but I will get profoundly upset if someone uses the word 'liberal' as some blanket denunciation of anyone who isn't in their camp...

I strongly suspect sometimes that labeling someone a liberal is a viable alternative to realizing that what you're selling isn't being bought

Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM

444 posts, read 703,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
I must express my dismay at seeing such well-honed sarcasm flying over people's heads. Think of all the poor children in the world who have no sarcasm at all and here we have it such abundance and fail to appreciate its bounty.
There's poor children in China with no sarcasm...

...and no Chick fil A either....

Old 02-01-2011, 04:34 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
This is a very easy response for me.
I don't eat at Chic-Fil-A as I cannot be a traitor to my favorite chicken fast food spot aka Zaxby's! Yep, Zaxby's baby

I bet this whole thing is a conspiracy theory. Yep! it's those darn chickens getting back at the cows for puttin' up all those billboards and TV ad's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta