Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 4,157 times

Advertisements

My husband will be going to school in Suwanee, and I will (most likely) be working in Sandy SPrings. I have heard that traffic is quite the challenge there, so I am looking for suggestions on where to look for housing. We are going to rent, and We need something accessible to both places....we are thinking Norcross?? We definately want a nice safe neighborhood for our family. We are going there in April to househunt, and would appreciate any suggestions about where to get started looking. THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,814,062 times
Do you have a job and if so, where? What ages are your children and are you thinking public or private schools? What is your price range?
Also, where are you moving from?
Traffic is a huge concern here in the Atlanta area so it helps to look at the map and figure out what your comfort level is regarding time spent in the car each day. Commute time varies by how far you are from highway exits and what those roads are like during your commute time. When we first moved here we lived in Alpharetta and I was driving to Roswell High School, which looked pretty easy except that the traffic getting across 400 was totally miserable in the mornings.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Do you have a job and if so, where? What ages are your children and are you thinking public or private schools? What is your price range?
Also, where are you moving from?
Traffic is a huge concern here in the Atlanta area so it helps to look at the map and figure out what your comfort level is regarding time spent in the car each day. Commute time varies by how far you are from highway exits and what those roads are like during your commute time. When we first moved here we lived in Alpharetta and I was driving to Roswell High School, which looked pretty easy except that the traffic getting across 400 was totally miserable in the mornings.
We are moving from AZ, the Phoenix area. I am an RN, and I am likely going to be working at Northside Hospital Womens Center in Sandy Springs....I will work the NIGHTSHIFT, 7pm-7am. I have had two phone interviews already, and I am going for a face to face in April....I feel confident about getting that job. I am not certain of what the pay will be, so I am thinking to keep the rent under $1300/mo. We have 3 children ages 14, 12, and 8. So, one high school, one middle school, and one elementary. They have always been in public school here, so I just assumed I would go that route there.....but maybe not??

Hopefully that info will help.....

Old 03-04-2011, 08:55 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,256,929 times
Depends on where in Norcross. It's not so bad if you head west of Peachtree Industrial towards Roswell/Alpharetta/Johns Creek anything east you will find quite a few dodgy areas but there are some nice spots in there too.

Johns Creek/Suwanee/Lawrenceville-Suwanee are nice quiet areas but these areas are pricey and the very reason why I am heading into Atlanta soon (Brookhaven area). If you like lots of wooded areas and outdoors then out here would be good for you. Nice neighbors, big yards, active communities. I wonder where you will be going to school in Suwanee?

Traffic is a horrible mess all over. There is no place where traffic is any better and it is very stressful. You have to experience it in order to understand. Accidents, stalled cars, people who don't know how to drive, slow cars, lack of merging abilities, too many cars and not enough lanes, etc.

The only way to get a better picture of things is to visit for at least 2 weeks before moving the family down here. Hope things work out for you all.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:01 PM

141 posts, read 421,916 times
Ok - so, this is interesting: I'm also in AZ (Gilbert), and we're moving to Suwanee in June (maybe July, but no later than July).

I work 1.1 miles from the hospital you hope to work out.

Your kids are older than ours - my wife and I have two kids. The oldest is 7 (a boy) and our daughter is 4.

We opted to live in Suwanee (despite the commute) because we just felt that the community is outstanding. We really like what we've seen (what I've seen, I should say - my wife has never been there, yet), what we've read about the area, and what I've "felt".

We'll be in the North Gwinnett school district. From what we understand, it's a great public school district. High School, Middle, and Elementary are supposedly very good schools.

Based on your work schedule, I don't think you're going to have a concern about rush hour traffic. Your schedule will be great for that: You'll be going counter to rush hour both on your way to work and your way home, if you were to live in Suwanee. Based on what you've shared, I'd suggest you find a place to rent there. I'm sure you'll find a nice place to rent, and from what I've read, I think you'll be happy with the school district, as well (and it's public - no need for private school in that area).

As a specific reference point, we'll be living in the area near the intersection of Suwanee Dam Road & Peachtree Industrial Blvd. Lots of nice places to live up Peachtree Industrial Blve, and we really fell in love with the area a mile or so to the southwest of that intersection. That's my 2 cents on where you might look to live.

Go to zillow.com - search on the zip code 30024 and see what rentals come up.

It sounds like we have an awfully lot in common - if you want to "compare notes" between now and your move, my wife and I would be happy to chat with you. And your 8 year-old...happen to be a boy?

Last edited by vagabundo94; 03-04-2011 at 09:10 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,319,131 times
The north-south roads that will take you from the northern suburbs to Sandy Springs/Perimeter are:

Peachtree Industrial -- you could live in Suwanee. Schools very good.

Peachtree Pkwy / Medlock Bridge / 141 -- you could live in Johns Creek (as south as possible. 1500 should be able to get you a decent house or a nice townhouse). Schools top notch.

[NOTE: Peachtree Indl and Peachtree Pkwy merge at some point going south. So it really is not that different traffic wise.]

GA 400 -- you could live in Alpharetta close to GA 400 (but this may be too far for the Suwanee job)

I think you could choose Suwanee or Johns Creek for your needs. Schools in the northern suburbs are good, so public schools should work fine.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
I wonder where you will be going to school in Suwanee?
Philidelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
College of Pharmacy
625 Old Peachtree Road NW
Suwanee, GA 30024

Old 03-05-2011, 07:52 AM

THANKS everyone!! Your answers are very helpful!! If anyone has other input, I love to hear as many opinions as possible!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta