Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:20 PM

17 posts, read 29,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
As great as Buckhead is, it needs to realize its' full potential and continue to strive to be better before it is copied and emulated anywhere else. Don't you think?
I agree with you, I believe that buckhead has alot of potential that we have yet seen. As a city (Atlanta) needs to strive for the best in order to lead the rest! I do see Atlanta rising more in the future, The best has yet to come. With the airport expanision and urban living, Multi developments. We will be the gateway city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 11:26 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,860 times
I always thought of Cobb/North Fulton as similar to OC. West Cobb/South Cobb being similar to Anaheim and Santa Ana areas, and East Cobb/Alpharetta/Roswell area similar to south OC where large McMansions are and a more suburban feel. Buckhead similar to Beverly Hills, although BH is far more residential than Buckhead. Buckhead also has a large biz district.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Who are these morons sending me these stupid PMs?

"are you seriously out of your mind? Atlanta is too ghetto and too redneck and too Southern to ever capture the natural beauty of California."

"keep dreamin dude. move back to chicago. atlanta is doomed to fail."

Stop PMing me and let's take it out to the public forum.

I am confused, you started this thread and then you say this??? Have you had your pills today?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:28 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
I don't think Milton will be a destination for out of towners and even people from other areas in Metro Atlanta, unless there is something there that isn't somewhere else.

I think Beverly Hills is a stand alone area. I suspect that Milton will just be a nice part of Metro Atlanta.

Ninety-nine percent of the time when companies and corporations relocate to Metro Atlanta they end up outside city limits, but they always announce they are moving to Atlanta.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Why do we have to compare Atlanta and the metro area to California, or anywhere else? Atlanta can't win. Some of you think it should be more like LA, while others can't believe that we don't have a MARTA stop on every corner with high rise buildings, like in NYC.

I don't like everything about Atlanta, but it's damn sure better than some other places I've been and lived. Atlanta isn't southern California. There is little in common between Atlanta and SoCal, except for maybe the car culture.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Thank you Neil. I was thinking the same thing. I don't see much point in all these comparisons the OP keeps looking to make either.

But, Milton does not seem destined to become either Buckhead-like or Beverly Hills-like, IMO. There are many, many natives in this city, living in small older homes on large pieces of land, planting their gardens every spring and selling vegetables, manure and firewood to make some extra money. Not every home here is massive, there is a nice mix. I don't consider the larger homes here Mcmansions either. To me that denotes a big house on a tiny plot. The minimum lot size here is one acre, so you can put up a pretty big home without crowding out your neighbors.

Milton is semi-rural, and I hope it remains that way.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:58 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
But, Milton does not seem destined to become either Buckhead-like or Beverly Hills-like, IMO. There are many, many natives in this city, living in small older homes on large pieces of land, planting their gardens every spring and selling vegetables, manure and firewood to make some extra money. Not every home here is massive, there is a nice mix. I don't consider the larger homes here Mcmansions either. To me that denotes a big house on a tiny plot. The minimum lot size here is one acre, so you can put up a pretty big home without crowding out your neighbors.

Milton is semi-rural, and I hope it remains that way.
Beverly Hills is just that...hills. Many of the homes belong to the truly "rich and famous" and many of the homes are actully not all that big or on a big lot. They are just in a great zip code with a great view, and many times have been renovated very nicely.

Milton is just a suburban community with some nice homes. I honestly don't see even a remote comparison.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times
I lived in Pacific Palisades, CA (in the hills between Santa Monica and Malibu) and it was very very beautiful. But, all in all, I much prefer Atlanta- it is, for me, a much more livable area with lots of down-to-earth people, great schools, a lot to do and fabulous place to raise a family.

The many, varied communities in the Atlanta area provide something for everyone whether is be a Buckhead mansion, midtown condo, Milton horse farm or intown bungalow or a good ole tract home in a suburban subdivision.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:46 PM

187 posts, read 404,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I lived in Pacific Palisades, CA (in the hills between Santa Monica and Malibu) and it was very very beautiful. But, all in all, I much prefer Atlanta- it is, for me, a much more livable area with lots of down-to-earth people, great schools, a lot to do and fabulous place to raise a family.

The many, varied communities in the Atlanta area provide something for everyone whether is be a Buckhead mansion, midtown condo, Milton horse farm or intown bungalow or a good ole tract home in a suburban subdivision.
I dont know what your definition of tract homes are, and I am unfamiliar with Milton. I just wanted to add that these kinds of neighborhoods are what makes Atlanta great to raise a family: Swim and tennis neighborhoods filled with large homes (4 bedrooms) on one-acre lots. Think East Cobb, Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Dunwoody, Norcross, and Sandy Springs. Not to mention that many of these neighborhoods are built upon rolling hills with lush tree coverage (near the river: added bonus).

The subdivisions of the Northern Suburbs are beautiful, both in the architectural style of the homes and in the topography and fauna of the land. I didnt realize how unique this is until I visited other cities!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times
We moved from the Palisades because, although I loved the area, did not think that it was the best place to raise our children. From there we moved to Connecticut.

We moved to Roswell less than a year ago and love the area; it is a great place for families. If only we were on the ocean....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta