Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:15 PM

470 posts, read 1,278,773 times

Advertisements

We will be moving there soon (hopefully) but I am concerned about the commute from decatur to GT. I tried it this morning and from downtown decatur to ponce took 45 minutes - it was backed up on ponce.

Can anyone who normally does this tell me of alternative routes? dekalb ave??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 01:20 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Is this to the campus of Tech or near it?

If it's to the campus the easiest, by far, commute would be:

1. Take the Blue line train from Decatur Station to Five Points Station
2. Walk downstairs
3. Take the Red or Orange line train north to Midtown Station
4. Walk upstairs
5. Take the Tech Trolley to your final destination

If you must drive, then Dekalb Avenue to Marietta street to Northside to 14th street will be the easiest probably.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:30 PM

We will have to drive because of daycare - yes, it is to campus. the Civil building...

How long is the dekalb ave route?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
We will have to drive because of daycare - yes, it is to campus. the Civil building...

How long is the dekalb ave route?
Ah, ok.
Not sure how long it, but I know Dekalb Ave. never gets as congested as Ponce does in the morning and afternoon commutes.

An Eastsider will have chime in with that.

The Marietta Street and Northside Drive legs of the trip should be a cake walk (unless there is an event Downtown). I'll correct myself though on part, taking 10th street rather than 14th street once you are on Northside is probably easier to get on campus.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:08 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
W Ponce to Coventry
Coventry to E Clifton
E Clifton to Clifton
Clifton to Oxford
Oxford to N Decatur
N Decatur becomes E Rock Springs
Veer left onto Morningside Dr
Morningside Dr to Piedmont
Piedmont to 14th
14th to Tech campus

Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Ah, ok.
Not sure how long it, but I know Dekalb Ave. never gets as congested as Ponce does in the morning and afternoon commutes.
This is usually true, but never say never. My commute incorporates Ponce and Dekalb Ave. There have been several days in recent months in which Dekalb Ave. near Candler Park station has turned into gridlock.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,117,325 times
If in rush hour, take Clairemont to N Decatur Rd and take a left. Follow this as it passes Briarcliff and then take a left on Highland. Follow this through the lights (this road can be semi-congested) and take a right on Virginia Avenue. This will dump you at about 10th Street, which you can take to Tech.

I feel sorry for you because the road system in Atlanta is the worst in the country and the lights aren't timed right. You will drive yourself insane with this drive if you have to make it during afternoon rush hour everyday. The light at Ponce/Moreland/Briarcliff makes me want to scream at the top of my lungs. It's a short light and favors directions with no traffic. This will be your experience.

Don't you wish there were a grid and timed lights? Yea, fat chance in Atlanta. Traffic in the whole city makes you just want to pull your hair out because it doesn't have to be so bad.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Why not take dekalb in stead of that n decatur route jsimms3? Is it faster?

We will be coming and going during rush hour times because of daycare - so..

One reason we want to move there is a better commute, are u saying the commute is horrible? Can you give me time periods for how long the commute is?

Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
If in rush hour, take Clairemont to N Decatur Rd and take a left. Follow this as it passes Briarcliff and then take a left on Highland. Follow this through the lights (this road can be semi-congested) and take a right on Virginia Avenue. This will dump you at about 10th Street, which you can take to Tech.

N. Decatur Rd. leading to Clairemont in the evening rush hour is worse than suicide.

EDIT: What you will need to do when you get here is get a good road map of city streets. Map out a bunch of different routes and try them all until you find one you like. This will also help you out with alternate routes and how to get around a mess, which is extremely difficult if you don't know where all our winding roads will take you.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM

504 posts, read 1,546,139 times
I took DeKalb Ave for over 10 years from different areas of Decatur (and City of Decatur) to my job downtown. I'm voting for it over any other route (with exception of maybe going to I-20 and then to GA Tech.). It can get congested of course, but I think it runs smoother than any other major road going that direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta