Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:39 AM

227 posts, read 494,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
You mean when uppity white people think Clayton County.

Pretty Much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Cwkimbro good stats. Thank you for sanely explaining why the county does not attract more wealthy people. However, other than that if you do have money then your fine. Beautiful Homes, Safe Neighborhoods, Great Ethnic Culture,and Great Parks. Other than the fact there were problems with the school board, a large minority population, and a retarded BOC, the county is a nice place to live. Thanks to ajc and other regional sources they do a great job at hyping up the dirt of the county and they tend to ignore the good things that go on. Which to some people, it may be a surprise that good can occur in the county. Please don't say its crime ridden because it is not. Its not true, simple as that. Out of the top 5 most populous counties in Atlanta metro ( Fulton, Gwinnett, Dekalb, Cobb, and Clayton) Clayton has the least crime.

http://gbi.georgia.gov/vgn/images/portal/cit_1210/13/41/1598322302009%20Summary%20Report.pdf (broken link)

So people whine and complain saying that the county is a horrible place and have never even been there. As I have said in another discussion, the ARC would be remiss for not accounting for the geographical wealth that the region has to provide. There are too many amenities in the county for Clayton not to be an important asset to the Atlanta Metro region. Quite frankly, I think the decade long slandering of the county was and is simply to help lower property values across the area so that developers can snag great deals once everything is in place. I mean think about it. The county is close to being a logistical masterpiece when it comes to transport of regional and national goods.

You don't think that Hartsfield became the world's busiest by being an airport with no roads or rail? No it was the connectors and rail lines that ran through the county that helped transport goods across the state and country in an orderly and timely fashion. Clayton literally is Atlanta's gateway to the world. So moan and complain about the one bad experience that you had while dealing with a rude cashier you met in Clayton or when you saw that particularly ghetto minority that made you stiffen with fear while driving through the county. Or better yet listen to the AJC's or WSBTV's frantic screams that essentially say Clayton is the worst, most dangerous, impoverished area for metro Atlantan's to inhabit.

Despite these experiences or these claims, that doesn't discount the fact that you can find beautiful lake front properties in the county that have homes that range in the millions, or that it has a internationally recognized water system or the fact it has the country's most diverse university, or that it is home to the Southern National Archives... I mean the list goes on. The reason why it is still growing is because people who move to the county realize that it is not as bad as the world makes it out to be. My advice as always for current Clayton residents. Stay. If you believe the mess and flee from the county because of "nonsense news" you will regret it. Because once you leave it will be hard to get back in.

I like this.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:10 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
Its a good county with some good parts but a lot of areas of opportunity. They do have some great reservoir parks and great water system. Downtown JB looks better.

Its growing b/c its cheap there and you actually get a plot of land, unlike some other counties with more expensive homes that are built on top one another.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:59 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
I noticed in 1st post you cherry picked only population and housing prices but mentioned unemployment only for Douglas County. Sure cheap houses are nice if you can simultaneously have a job and buy the home but if the jobs aren't there, houses aren't of much use.

Population:
Gwinnett/Fulton both grew a lot more than Dekalb/Cobb while you can see Forsyth accelerated rapidly from 2000 forward. Clayton growth fell off rather quickly in the post '05 area.
U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division - Google public data

Income per capita:
Clayton trails in this area by far at less than 1/2 of Fulton.
GDP and Personal Income of the U.S. (annual) - Google Public Data Explorer

Unemployment:
Unfortunately this isn't pretty for anyone but is still worse in Clayton.
Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer

Based on fairly objective metrics, Clayton isn't doing well. The area has high unemployment and low income. Housing is dirt cheap but will remain that way as long as income remains low. Generally the sustainable pricing for housing is ~3-4X income and they're already around there. Yes, the county grew but it was possibly a byproduct of people getting priced out of Fulton/Dekalb etc more than Clayton offering anything beyond cheap housing. I could try to pull more stats on education level but I suspect that the more middle class area has lower % of college degrees and that segment of the population got hit hardest w/ unemployment and wage cuts which would explain a lot of the issues w/ the area.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
As of 2010, Clayton County's population is 277,819 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 17.45 percent.

The median home cost in Clayton County is $72,760. Home appreciation the last year has been -18.26 percent.

Compare that with Douglas County:
As of 2010, Douglas County's population is 132,208 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 43.57 percent.

The median home cost in Douglas County is $118,400. Home appreciation the last year has been -13.31 percent.
The unemployment rate in Douglas County is 11.20 percent(U.S. avg. is 10.20%). Recent job growth is Negative. Douglas County jobs have Decreased by 6.39 percent.

Yeh another Clayton County post.There is so much negativity about this county so I was curious as to if the image is so bad,why is it not loosing population.All of its cities re steady or growing modestly from the estimates I saw.If someone know more please tell me the latest.

I have family in Rex and Jonesboro.Those arees where they live seem like any other suburb and none of them have had any unusual occurances of high crime.I know as well as everyone else of all the reasons why it has had bad press.Alot of it deserved.So I ask why people are not fleeing the area?

I also noticed that the poverty rate is not much higher than other counties.There seems to be clean streets, infrastructure is good,water department is considered the best in the metro area.
I was in Morrow and the area around Clayton State University.The National archives is also in the area.Its really nice.
Its actually VERY simple, the people that want out cant get out! They either walk away from them their home or they rent it out to get destroyed by some low life tenant. SO they are in a no win situation. Many have just decided to stay.

Also the county gained people because of the over abundance of rental options in Clayco. Very few counties have the amount of vacant homes and apartments at the prices that Clayco does. Free rent here, NO security deposit there. Rent to own, this kind of stuff is virtually ALL over Clayco.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
I noticed in 1st post you cherry picked only population and housing prices but mentioned unemployment only for Douglas County. Sure cheap houses are nice if you can simultaneously have a job and buy the home but if the jobs aren't there, houses aren't of much use.

Population:
Gwinnett/Fulton both grew a lot more than Dekalb/Cobb while you can see Forsyth accelerated rapidly from 2000 forward. Clayton growth fell off rather quickly in the post '05 area.
U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division - Google public data

Income per capita:
Clayton trails in this area by far at less than 1/2 of Fulton.
GDP and Personal Income of the U.S. (annual) - Google Public Data Explorer

Unemployment:
Unfortunately this isn't pretty for anyone but is still worse in Clayton.
Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer

Based on fairly objective metrics, Clayton isn't doing well. The area has high unemployment and low income. Housing is dirt cheap but will remain that way as long as income remains low. Generally the sustainable pricing for housing is ~3-4X income and they're already around there. Yes, the county grew but it was possibly a byproduct of people getting priced out of Fulton/Dekalb etc more than Clayton offering anything beyond cheap housing. I could try to pull more stats on education level but I suspect that the more middle class area has lower % of college degrees and that segment of the population got hit hardest w/ unemployment and wage cuts which would explain a lot of the issues w/ the area.
I didnt Cherry pick anything.That is so annoying for you you say.The only reason i gave was a few stats just to get a basic idea.I don't believe anyone who lives in the metro Atlanta area does not know of Claytons ills.However I find it fascinating ,that even on C-D you have people so "anxious" and "eager" to give their opinion as to why its so horrible. Thats NOT what the thread is about.

Douglas County was used because I was not gonna do every county and every last detail.Why should I have compared it to Cobb or Gwinett?Would that hae met your approval?Damned if I do ,Damned if I dont.
There are 28 counties in the metro area.Not to mention Clayton is not even near the bottom in Georgia.
If you wanna give the facts fine but please make sure it gives reasoning for the question asked.

The county with all its ills seems to be "by appearance" well taken care of.You would think that a county with such bad stats.I know people and buisness are not flocking there but you dont hear of mass layoff and companies moving away either.

Last edited by afonega1; 03-31-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I didnt Cherry pick anything.That is so annoying for you you say.The only reason i gave was a few stats just to get a basic idea.I don't believe anyone who lives in the metro Atlanta area does not know of Claytons ills.However I find it fascinating ,that even on C-D you have people so "anxious" and "eager" to give their opinion as to why its so horrible. Thats NOT what the thread is about.

Douglas County was used because I was not gonna do every county and every last detail.Why should I have compared it to Cobb or Gwinett?Would that hae met your approval?Damned if I do ,Damned if I dont.

If you wanna give the facts fine but please make sure it gives reasoning for the question asked.

The county with all its ills seems to be "by appearance" well taken care of.You would think that a county with such bad stats.I know people and buisness are not flocking there but you dont hear of mass layoff and companies moving away either.
Douglas is well on its way to becoming the NEXT Clayco. EVERYONE I know that lives anywhere near Douglasville AND is white wants out like today!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Its actually VERY simple, the people that want out cant get out! They either walk away from them their home or they rent it out to get destroyed by some low life tenant. SO they are in a no win situation. Many have just decided to stay.

Also the county gained people because of the over abundance of rental options in Clayco. Very few counties have the amount of vacant homes and apartments at the prices that Clayco does. Free rent here, NO security deposit there. Rent to own, this kind of stuff is virtually ALL over Clayco.
I have a home that my parents gave me in Rex.The neighborhood is still nice like it was when i lived their as a teenager.The hurt will come after Ft.Gilem closes.Many military families in the area.I thought about moving their but I prefer my house in the city.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Douglas is well on its way to becoming the NEXT Clayco. EVERYONE I know that lives anywhere near Douglasville AND is white wants out like today!
Douglas was never great to begin with.Clayton never was either.It was always the lagger of the bunch in the metro area

Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
You mean when uppity white people think Clayton County.
Oh come on...you're better than that. "Uppity white people?"

I think we've all seen Clayton County at work. The School Board, the former Sheriff Victor Hill, the dysfunctional county commission, Jewell Scott the dysfunctional DA with corruption and scandal in her wake. Clayton has been anything but a model of good government.

Add to that the rampant crime, and you have a more complete picture. You can add race into the picture, but I would just submit the facts into evidence that I stated. Black or white doesn't matter, but had I stated that many of the individuals involved are indeed black....would that matter? Would it be a racist statement on my part?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta