Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,714 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Atlanta this August and we need some direction on where to live. He will be attending Georgia Tech as a doctoral student and I will be looking for a job in the legal field (paralegal, etc...). Any help in finding us a great neighborhood would be highly appreciated

So... a little about us...

We are a 25 year old couple who love to adventure, are accustomed to a little grime (hey... we're from Buffalo), and like a lot of culture. We love festivals, microbrews, artsy scenes, and eclectic neighborhoods. We will have one car between us so being close to the MARTA (at least within biking distance) is a necessity. We would like to spend approximately $1000 a month (or hopefully less) for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. We don't care for the new complexes that clutter the online apartment search on a daily basis but would settle for that type of housing if need be. We like old buildings with character and charm in neighborhoods that mirror the people who inhabit them.

I have been reading a few of the posts listed on this site and have a rough idea of the neighborhoods that are most likely suited for us. I guess it would help us the most if specific street names were given. For example, I know areas like Midtown, Decatur, Little Five Points, and Virginia Highlands have been thrown around a lot but housing types and specifics on where within these neighborhoods would be helpful.

Being almost 1000 miles away and not wanting to spend a ton of money looking for an apartment in person, is there an easy way to do this kind of thing? We had an idea of finding a short term apartment and using that time to look for a better living situation but am open to suggestions! Thanks in advance,

ExcitedToMove
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 PM

697 posts, read 3,021,331 times
North High Ridge | Home Page

It sometimes seems like everyone in Atlanta who came here as a struggling student and had any sort of artistic or literary bent lived in a unit at North High Ridge at one time or another. Two blocks from Ponce (convenient to the #2 bus, which gets you to either North Avenue station or downtown Decatur and the Decatur station) and the #16 bus through Va-Hi to downtown runs right in front of the units on Highland. Catercorner from Manuel's Tavern. Easy walking distance to Little Five Points or Virginia-Highland, not to mention everything along the eastern end of Ponce de Leon (Publix, the Plaza Theater, the Majestic, etc.).

Hardwood floors, french doors, screened porches. Tiny kitchens and bathrooms, though.

I loved the 2 BR unit there for the couple of years I was there in the late 1980s -- finally got tired of roommates and there were no 1 BR units available so I moved to another building managed by the same company, near the Clermont Lounge on Ponce.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron3000 View Post
Hi,

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Atlanta this August and we need some direction on where to live. He will be attending Georgia Tech as a doctoral student and I will be looking for a job in the legal field (paralegal, etc...). Any help in finding us a great neighborhood would be highly appreciated

So... a little about us...

We are a 25 year old couple who love to adventure, are accustomed to a little grime (hey... we're from Buffalo), and like a lot of culture. We love festivals, microbrews, artsy scenes, and eclectic neighborhoods. We will have one car between us so being close to the MARTA (at least within biking distance) is a necessity. We would like to spend approximately $1000 a month (or hopefully less) for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. We don't care for the new complexes that clutter the online apartment search on a daily basis but would settle for that type of housing if need be. We like old buildings with character and charm in neighborhoods that mirror the people who inhabit them.

I have been reading a few of the posts listed on this site and have a rough idea of the neighborhoods that are most likely suited for us. I guess it would help us the most if specific street names were given. For example, I know areas like Midtown, Decatur, Little Five Points, and Virginia Highlands have been thrown around a lot but housing types and specifics on where within these neighborhoods would be helpful.

Being almost 1000 miles away and not wanting to spend a ton of money looking for an apartment in person, is there an easy way to do this kind of thing? We had an idea of finding a short term apartment and using that time to look for a better living situation but am open to suggestions! Thanks in advance,

ExcitedToMove
TWO WORDS: Home Park

This place is on the up and up and is gentrifying around the fringes. It is right across from GT so he can walk there and back (no car needed). If he needs some exercise, this will be an added benefit. You can have the car and drive to wherever your office is. This is a nice, multicultural, diverse and increasingly safe neighborhood home to a large Georgia Tech graduate student community. Coming from Buffalo, you'll like the change - green, leafy and hilly. You can use short term rentals in Home Park as a stepping stone perhaps. And you will surely get your dose of grime there lol .... which you wouldn't get in some sleek, new complex east of the interstate or in Buckhead. Just to give you an idea, the two ladies that I'm currently involved with have no problem coming over to my place in H.P. even though it has that "rough around the edges look". (BTW, when's the last time the Bills beat the Patriots? LOL)

Old 04-04-2011, 12:05 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,390 times
You sound like you'd like Decatur, but I too would recommend you take a hard look at the Westside (which contains Home Park). You'll be right next to Georgia Tech, and there's definitely a diverse, artsy, well-educated, yuppie and hipster flavor to this part of town. The MARTA connections aren't as ideal (there's no rail connection), but you'd be able to walk/bike to Georgia Tech easily. There are lots of artists and designers on this side of town; the feel is "industrial chic." There will be some grime, so it's good to hear you're cool with that.

Now, I should also mention that Home Park has had some relatively recent issues with crime. But it's not the residents as much as bad folks from outside coming into those neighborhoods. And plenty of areas in ATL have crime, so it's not unique to Home Park. What's more, there are plenty of Georgia Tech students and faculty who continue to live in this area, so it's not like people are fleeing. (For a start, check out apartments on Howell Mill, Marietta Street, Northside, and house rentals in Home Park.)

Midtown near Georgia Tech may also interest you, though much of it is very high-rise-y.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
I'm thinking Old Fourth Ward/Sweet Auburn. It's a very historic area that has gentrified to a degree but still has an edgy side. Lots of lofts around here. Look at areas along Edgewood Ave.

Cabbagetown or Reynoldstown could be options (biking to a MARTA station in these neighborhoods would be safe, since the station can be accessed by sidestreets). Both are very young and artsy. You'd probably be able to find a rental in an old shotgun house or duplex well within your price range. Cabbagetown is farther along the gentrification path than Reynoldstown.

Inman Park/Candler park are also great areas that would be relatively safe to bike within and are close to stations. They are close to the retail district Little Five Points, which pretty much typifies eclectic. These are historically pretty wealthy areas with some large houses, so you're more likely to find an apartment in a divided house rather than a stand-alone house.

Grant Park is great too, but the MARTA access is a lot worse.

When I think eclectic, Virginia Highland doesn't really come to mind fwiw.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:59 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
I'd also give consideration to neighborhoods on the northside like Underwood Hills, Loring Heights, Berkeley Park, etc. I'd also look at some of the aprtements along Peachtree up through the Buckhead Village. Many of the older ones are very cool and the surrounding areas are quite eclectic and convenient.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM

285 posts, read 876,484 times
Castleberry Hill has grime and culture out the wazoo...

Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,411 times
Yeah, I immediately thought Castleberry Hill too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta