Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:33 PM

339 posts, read 696,142 times

Advertisements

Markesha,

Please take what I am about to say in the spirit of an "older" sister or mentor type...Based on your posts I don't believe you have done enough research in your goal to move to Atlanta.

First, the job situation...the internet makes it easier than ever to look for jobs from out of state. Based on what you are saying your skill set is, the type of job you are looking for believe it or not will not be that easy to find. By that I mean, the pay will not be great (probably under 10/hr), probably part time, limited benefits, and competition for the job will be fierce, as with most jobs now..

Unemployment makes people take jobs that they may not normally consider taking and jobs like the one you are considering are not plentiful and pay is not great, especially when consider you have children to support.

You can do a job search now from where you are in MD via the internet with or without the assistance of these forums.

Second, you have high hopes on your signing career and you may be talented, but like a "regular" job search...competition is fierce...You may have better luck trying to get on and winning American Idol than just moving to Atlanta and putting it out there that you are an exceptionally singer. Again there are alot of exceptionally talent singers out here and I know a few of them who have been at it for years and have connections, write their own songs and play their own musical instruments and they are at best, at this point in their careers, local or regional "names"

Again you can do research on the internet, besides here on these forums, to find out where and who to send your demo cd to. Faith is fine and belief inthings unseen is what faith requires, but faith also requires hard work, dues paying, luck and circumstance.

It's great to have a demo, but what else is on your musical resume? Toured with any bands? Had any club dates?
Do you have a myspace or web page to showcase your singing where you can maybe post a video or you performing live? These are things you can do now from where you are in MD to at least give you a presence and get feedback from people who visit your site. Faith with works at least gives you a chance, faith without works, well...

I am not trying to dash your hopes but you need to look at your competition and the music business as a whole. Can you be discovered with a blank or minimal resume? Sure it can happen, but the what are the realistic chances? But to improve your chances you may have to be a bit more proactive.

Third, although Atlanta has Marta and it does a job, it can be limiting. It does not run 24/7 and some routes only run during rush hour or no weekend service. or stop running early evening. Marta just cut service July of last year and they re-visit their service at least once a year. Sometimes there are no cuts sometimes there are. Not trying to scare you just trying to let you know Marta works, but it has it limitations.

Will 800.00 a month get you a 2 bdrm apt...sure, but where will it be located? You can probably find one in a decent area but will it be on a bus route? I also doubt you will find day care on premises at that rent price. (to be fair, I am not sure how popular on-premise day care is at apt complexes)
In terms of rent continually climbing, that happens here in Atlanta as well. When you renew your lease, the rent goes up..Now how much that increase will be that depends, rent will increase here as well.
Again salaries here are not necessarily comparable to MD. True the cost of living is a bit less than up North but will you be living large either on a greeter or receptionist salary here. I doubt it.

I sense you want a change in your life and that is fine, but unfortunately economics and other factors at this point in time may not make this the time for you to make the changes you think you need.

I feel you need to do more research about not only Atlanta, but the music business in general using the internet as a whole for inquiries. And of equal importance is to ask yourself some questions including why Atlanta and why now? especially when it seems that this would not be the best move right now given the economy of this city at this moment in time.

Once you have your employment situated it would be easier to ask for advice on where to living here.

Like I stated at the beginning of this post I am only writing this in "big sister" or mentor mode. Good luck to you

Last edited by NYPeach; 04-10-2011 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 01:34 PM

75 posts, read 118,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Apartment complexes, large or small, are unlikely to have day care provided. That is almost unheard of here.

Atlanta's unemployment is high and the type of job you are speaking of does not pay as well here as it does in many places in the country.

You need to secure employment first, so you can live near your job. Public transportation is not extensive here.

Good luck!
Well this makes me think. If the jobs pay less and the rent is less than in Maryland why does everyone keep moving to to Atlanta? It seems evenly split between the rent and the salarry. I guess the lack of diversity in the DC area is causing many of us to be around our own kind more and more. Castleberry apparently is the place where the action is and where I could metwork with the musicians and other talented singers.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:45 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,102 times
Just keep in mind that ATL is saturated right now. You will be competing with people who live in Atlanta who are looking for jobs as well. Also, salaries are low in Atlanta compared to DC/Maryland. I'm not really sure why people keep moving to Atlanta or Texas for that matter. Most companies are on hiring freezes in these areas and are only looking to hire very essential personnel. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:45 PM

75 posts, read 118,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPeach View Post
Markesha,

Please take what I am about to say in the spirit of an "older" sister or mentor type...Based on your posts I don't believe you have done enough research in your goal to move to Atlanta.

First, the job situation...the internet makes it easier than ever to look for jobs from out of state. Based on what you are saying your skill set is, the type of job you are looking for believe it or not will not be that easy to find. By that I mean, the pay will not be great (probably under 10/hr), probably part time, limited benefits, and competition for the job will be fierce, as with most jobs now..

Unemployment makes people take jobs that they may not normally consider taking and jobs like the one you are considering are not plentiful and pay is not great, especially when consider you have children to support.

You can do a job search now from where you are in MD via the internet with or without the assistance of these forums.

Second, you have high hopes on your signing career and you may be talented, but like a "regular" job search...competition is fierce...You may have better luck trying to get on and winning American Idol than just moving to Atlanta and putting it out there that you are an exceptionally singer. Again there are alot of exceptionally talent singers out here and I know a few of them who have been at it for years and have connections, write their own songs and play their own musical instruments and they are at best, at this point in their careers, local or regional "names"

Again you can do research on the internet, besides here on these forums, to find out where and who to send your demo cd to. Faith is fine and belief inthings unseen is what faith requires, but faith also requires hard work, dues paying, luck and circumstance.

It's great to have a demo, but what else is on your musical resume? Toured with any bands? Had any club dates?
Do you have a myspace or web page to showcase your singing where you can maybe post a video or you performing live? These are things you can do now from where you are in MD to at least give you a presence and get feedback from people who visit your site. Faith with works at least gives you a chance, faith without works, well...

I am not trying to dash your hopes but you need to look at your competition and the music business as a whole. Can you be discovered with a blank or minimal resume? Sure it can happen, but the what are the realistic chances? But to improve your chances you may have to be a bit more proactive.

Third, although Atlanta has Marta and it does a job, it can be limiting. It does not run 24/7 and some routes only run during rush hour or no weekend service. or stop running early evening. Marta just cut service July of last year and they re-visit their service at least once a year. Sometimes there are no cuts sometimes there are. Not trying to scare you just trying to let you know Marta works, but it has it limitations.

Will 800.00 a month get you a 2 bdrm apt...sure, but where will it be located? You can probably find one in a decent area but will it be on a bus route? I also doubt you will find day care on premises at that rent price. (to be fair, I am not sure how popular on-premise day care is at apt complexes)
In terms of rent continually climbing, that happens here in Atlanta as well. When you renew your lease, the rent goes up..Now how much that increase will be that depends, rent will increase here as well.
Again salaries here are not necessarily comparable to MD. True the cost of living is a bit less than up North but you will be living large either on a greeter or receptionist salary here.

I sense you want a change in your life and that is fine, but unfortunately economics and other factors at this point in time may not make this the time for you to make the changes you think you need.

I feel you need to do more research about not only Atlanta, but the music business in general using the internet as a whole for inquiries. And of equal importance is to ask yourself some questions including why Atlanta and why now? especially when it seems that this would not be the best move right now given the economy of this city at this moment in time.

Once you have your employment situated it would be easier to ask for advice on where to living here.

Like I stated at the beginning of this post I am only writing this in "big sister" or mentor mode. Good luck to you
Why thank you for that. Maybe I need to spend some more times, do some Google research. I've got much of my things packed up and am ready to move at any given moment when oppurtunity comes knocking. If anybody knows any openings or jobs or singing jobs please, please pass the 411 my way. My boys need people that speak English to play with so I need to head down that way as a lot of people at the club keep telling me they're planning on moving themselves. I know I will be in good hands. I have my faith that tells me big things are on the horizon in Atlanta for me.You just don't have any idea how frustrating it can be up here. Everything is changing so fast from the Maryland I grew up, and now we have to live two families to a one bedroom apartment to pay the rent. Too expensive and too many people with no one speaking English. Please anyboyd find me a job. Thanks and have a blessed day.

~Markesha

Old 04-10-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkeshaThnx4Lyfe View Post
Well this makes me think. If the jobs pay less and the rent is less than in Maryland why does everyone keep moving to to Atlanta? It seems evenly split between the rent and the salarry. I guess the lack of diversity in the DC area is causing many of us to be around our own kind more and more. Castleberry apparently is the place where the action is and where I could metwork with the musicians and other talented singers.

In my opinion...

Some people move down here with their job, they get a job transfer so they are more than likely to transfer their salary with them and their company probably pays for their moving or at least helps to subsidize the expense.

Some people move here without a job but they have deep pockets. In other words, they have at least a year or so of savings so they can survive without employment for that length of time. Usually these people have a viable back up plan along with the savings...they have a spouse or partner that has a job lined up here so although they have to dip in their savings, the dip is not as deep, it is subsidizing one missing salary instead of the whole thing.

Some people move down here without a job, but they have a relative(s) who will support them for a certain amount of time. They may take a part time job while they hunt for a full time job. At the end of that time their relative gives, if the person does not have a job, they will probably move on or back to where they came.

Another thing with people in this situation, they usually fall in these categories.... a) they are single with no children, no debt and possibly a degree or a skill that will get them employed relatively quickly with a decent salary for a single person

b) married couple- one partner is working and the other partner will search when they arrive here and they have some saving to supplement income. They probably have limited to no debt and possibly one child

c) Other that move here still believe that Atlanta is a mecca and move here with no realistic plan or savings or job and believe things will fall into place easily...

There are probably other "categories" of who or why people still move here, but category "a and b" usually have a workable plan of action and have done their homework prior to moving here (or anywhere for that matter).

Just my thoughts..

Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 PM

311 posts, read 844,100 times
Quote:
Hi Markesha,

I AM currently in DC and moving to ATL in 4 months....however I am originally from South GA.....I'm gonna tell you point blank you need to save enough to survive before you move AND already have a slight buzz or you (and your boys) are gonna be eaten alive...

ask yourself this and if you're not prepared use the resources you have available in DC to PREPARE...I know DC/MD is getting rough(esp with high crime/rent/cost of living) but you need a better plan esp with 2 boys(btw-i was homeless in NYC tryna follow my music dream.........
1-Do I have enough savings for me and my children to survive for 6 months-1year with enough left for emergencies
2-how am i gonna handle health insurance for me and my boys
3-Do I have a professional portfolio of my work if im tryna do hair---do you even realize the stiff competition not JUST amongst musicians but hairstylists as well? Heck, lol, thats why i LOVE getting my hair done in GA.....girls seem to be trained from birth how to hook up some hair.
4-What resources in DC can I use to help with networking in ATL---Getting a membership with the Grammy 365 or if you're black, NABFEME(national association of black female executives in music and entertainment) is a start......links below.....
NABFEME
About The Recording Academy | GRAMMY365

Old 04-10-2011, 02:47 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Markesha... Atlanta is not the place for you. Here is why:

1.) Our unemployment rate is sky high. There is a huge oversupply of people looking for jobs like you are. How will you support yourself with no job?

2.) If you're moving to escape Hispanics, Atlanta isn't the place. Atlanta has the fastest growing Hispanic population in the country. At that price point, your apartment complex will be majority Hispanic or at least half. Your kids will be in school with Hispanics.

Try Charlotte or Raleigh. Much better opportunity for you there and a lower cost of living.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Why thank you for that. Maybe I need to spend some more times, do some Google research. I've got much of my things packed up and am ready to move at any given moment when oppurtunity comes knocking. If anybody knows any openings or jobs or singing jobs please, please pass the 411 my way. My boys need people that speak English to play with so I need to head down that way as a lot of people at the club keep telling me they're planning on moving themselves. I know I will be in good hands. I have my faith that tells me big things are on the horizon in Atlanta for me.You just don't have any idea how frustrating it can be up here. Everything is changing so fast from the Maryland I grew up, and now we have to live two families to a one bedroom apartment to pay the rent. Too expensive and too many people with no one speaking English. Please anyboyd find me a job. Thanks and have a blessed day.

~Markesha

If you are moving here to get away from diversity, you will be in for a rude awakening...this is a multi-cultural/ethnic country and although Atlanta does have a rich African-American history and culture here, but it is diverse and you will not be able to "escape' multi-culturalism. If this is what you seek, then really you won't be happy in Atlanta, although I feel with or without the multi-cultural factor, Atlanta is not for you, especially at point in time.

Your boys are lucky they have friends that can speak a language other than English, your sons could learn to respect and learn about other cultures and become bi-lingual and that can be an asset in their futures. Let your seeds grow where they are...it can be a blessing and sprout something nice...

Old 04-10-2011, 04:03 PM

311 posts, read 844,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Markesha... Atlanta is not the place for you. Here is why:

1.) Our unemployment rate is sky high. There is a huge oversupply of people looking for jobs like you are. How will you support yourself with no job?

2.) If you're moving to escape Hispanics, Atlanta isn't the place. Atlanta has the fastest growing Hispanic population in the country. At that price point, your apartment complex will be majority Hispanic or at least half. Your kids will be in school with Hispanics.

Try Charlotte or Raleigh. Much better opportunity for you there and a lower cost of living.
AMEN--However unemployment is sky-high Everywhere...heck ward 8 in DC has the highest unemployment in the country...No matter where you move you need a solid plan AND savings...heck when i was homeless in NYC, I was a single girl (just turned 21) and no obligations....I couldnt imagine moving to a new place with no job AND 2 kids..

BTW-i'll also throw in my hat and say Nashville would be a good choice as well and a nice drive from ATL

Old 04-10-2011, 04:33 PM

439 posts, read 852,748 times
Quote:

~Markesha
Ok people at the Club told you they are moving to Atlanta? You want to escape from a Hispanic population? You want to live in a safe place that offers daycare at 800 bucks month and you have no skill set to offer in a struggling economy?? If it walks like trolling it is trolling.

I am not going to take too much of my time with this one but read attentively what all the other posters said. I would take heed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta