Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:40 PM

227 posts, read 494,956 times

Advertisements

Atlanta Falcons New Stadium Could Be Decided by Money, Location - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110208/tr_ac/7811182_atlanta_falcons_new_stadium_could_be_decid ed_by_money_location_1 - broken link)

The other talked about locale is in the Doraville area northwest of the city. It would be easy to access from I-285 and other major roads. This area is also near a MARTA station, so that could be utilized as well. The new mayor of Atlanta, Kasim Reed, is going to do everything he possibly can to keep the Falcons in the city, but the ultimate decision rests with Blank.

The place is 19 years old and the team is already clamoring for a new venue.

That says it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 06:43 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,256,929 times
Doraville would be great. They could convert the old Ford plant which is next to the station into the new stadium. Direct access to 85, 285 and MARTA. Wow that would be so cool and a retractable ceiling would really top it off!

Old 02-19-2011, 07:27 PM

48 posts, read 113,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
Doraville would be great. They could convert the old Ford plant which is next to the station into the new stadium. Direct access to 85, 285 and MARTA. Wow that would be so cool and a retractable ceiling would really top it off!
Is it a Ford plant or GM plant? Just wondering if I'm thinking of the same place.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:29 PM

349 posts, read 781,803 times
There's a post regarding this on the falcons board. Personally I'm undecided. The Ga Dome is not even 20 yrs old so in that respect it seems sort of wasteful.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:43 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,256,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASB84 View Post
Is it a Ford plant or GM plant? Just wondering if I'm thinking of the same place.

I don't frequent the area often but I think it's Ford. Anyhow, it's the only plant right next to the Doraville MARTA station.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
What's wrong with the 19 year old Georgia Dome? The NFL Owners and the Commissioner are smoking crack if they expect teams to build a new stadium every 10 - 20 years.

I watched the GA Dome go up, took a tour before it opened, and have been to several games there over the years. It's a fine facility, and there is no reason to build another venue. If the Falcons do build a new stadium, it should be with 100% private investment. If the ticket prices rise too much, I won't go, and I've been to home games over the last two years (and am considering season tickets).

Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What's wrong with the 19 year old Georgia Dome? The NFL Owners and the Commissioner are smoking crack if they expect teams to build a new stadium every 10 - 20 years.

I watched the GA Dome go up, took a tour before it opened, and have been to several games there over the years. It's a fine facility, and there is no reason to build another venue. If the Falcons do build a new stadium, it should be with 100% private investment. If the ticket prices rise too much, I won't go, and I've been to home games over the last two years (and am considering season tickets).
I pretty much mostly agree with you. I do think it could use an aesthetic facelift and I think any large facility needs this every 10-20 years if it is to stand the test of time.

Anyways I just thought I'd add a bit of marketing/economics logic as to why this happening... and to an extent why now.

Compared to 20 years ago the data shows top 15-20% of our society is growing wealthier at a steady rate, while everyone else's wealth and salaries have actually declined (this includes pre-recession and includes lasting effects from the previous recession ("dot com bust").

From a NFL and/or sports facility stand point they have more money making potential in having more box suites, specialty seating sections, specialty restaurants/events. They need ways of getting more money from those top brackets, while realizing they can't get as much as they use to from the bottom half of the population.
This also doesn't just apply to NFL... it applies to everything... Look at the perks Turner Field has. It is much better designed for making money than Atlanta-Fulton county stadium was. There are meeting rooms with an outside patio for corporate meetings/special events, more suits, more attractions targeted at making money, restaurants, etc... The other thing to spot out with Turner Field, despite Atlanta having grown by great amounts, the new stadium actually has a slightly smaller seating capacity. The changing economic realities has them making more money in different ways and finding ways of selling higher priced tickets, instead of just attracting sheer large numbers.

The other marketing issue The Falcons are having is they really want an open air stadium and promotion of good outside tailgating activity space. The two main purposes for this is to lure more fans by fostering the same kind of atmosphere college football has and make more money in advertising and sales from pre-game event activities. Currently the Falcons, despite being in one of the largest markets in the country, is actually performing fairly weak/medicre by NFL-wide standards. These are just a few of the reasons why. Not only do they need to draw more attention, they need to attract higher paying consumers (even if some of it comes from other gameday events or only a portion of the crowd pays alot more for their tickets).

Now here is the problem.... The Georgia Dome can't simply make these changes. I'm not saying it can't get a facelift and engineers can't change it into an open air stadium and build sky suite, etc.. fairly easily. The Georgia Dome isn't a football stadium. It is an multi-event convention space built to also handle football. The Dome is used for conventions, non-football events, and sports events outside the NFL more than it is used for handling the Atlanta Falcons. For the Georgia World Congress Center Authority to cover expenses they need to keep all of these tenants, which all need/require a year-round weatherproof environment to operate in.

In other words the usage market demands of most tenants are starting to differ from the Falcons' market demands, which is the largest tenant.

Ultimately the Falcons needs to come up with negotiated changes to the Dome to make it work better for them, but the GWCC has their hands tied on certain things and absolutely can't remove the domed roof. They did consider the cost of making a new retractable roof (which would probably be higher and add sky suites, but the issue there is the cost was astronomical. For the price it is almost feasible to make a second NFL football only stadium that is slightly smaller, but is tailored to meet their marketing needs much better.

Truthfully, I am fine if it happens. However, unlike before I don't think the state and the GWCC should put down the money to build it. It is one thing for the GWCC to put down some money on moderate changes and decade to decade facelifts and changes to economic/marketing realities. (money from the hotel and tourism tax will come available soon when the Dome is completely paid off. This is one of the reasons the Falcons are pressing these matters now). If the Falcons can figure out a business plan for mostly paying for a new stadium, there might be a way local governments can help them, give incentives, or tax breaks on the site of the stadium.

Nonetheless there are two major end of the day issues I see.
1) The Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium lasted 31 years, even then the Olympics are really what nailed the lid in it's coffin (you have to admit though.. its a helluva a way to go out ) The shelf life on a large stadium should be at least 35-50 years with 2-3 overhaul/face lifts before it is completely replaced.
2) There are too many marketing differences between NFL/southern football and a multi-use convention center for the two marketing uses to completely exist together harmoniously. So if a new stadium is built, it will be in addition to the Georgia Dome (not a direct replacement) and it will likely be done at a lower cost, but specifically tailored for NFL football marketing.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:53 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
NOT THIS AGAIN! folks this is OLD news and this topic has been done before. Also, the Doraville site has already been dismissed as not plausible. There is nothing wrong the the GA Dome. I Arthur Blank wants a new stadium maybe his team should make it past the 1st round of the playoffs first. Blah blah blah ... etc etc etc ...

Falcons still moving to Doraville?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:07 AM

444 posts, read 703,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
NOT THIS AGAIN! There is nothing wrong the the GA Dome. I Arthur Blank wants a new stadium maybe his team should make it past the 1st round of the playoffs first. Blah blah blah ... etc etc etc ...
Here here

Old 02-21-2011, 08:27 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,537,133 times
Nothing wrong with the Dome, great location, still looks great and the Falcons don't deserve anything new until they bring home a championship.

I say leave them in the Dome until that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta