Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:11 PM

20 posts, read 85,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph2 View Post
Humidity is bad here the last part of July, August and into September......

If you are interested in shopping and restaurants I would recommend Alpharetta over Buford and Cumming...
It is a very upscale community with proximity to restaurants and shopping at North Point Mall and they are building a Forum outdoor shopping area which is very high-end right off of Exit 10 in Alpharetta. Yet it is still pretty rural in some areas (horse farms and the like)...
If humidity is only an issue for 3 months out of the year, and relatively mild besides that, that seems VERY ideal to me??

Are you familiar with Mall of GA? Someone said that is in/near buford and is the largest mall in all of GA? The main reason I am hoping to find a home in Buford or cumming is because the homes seem a little less and property tax is lower. I have heard that they are developing fast, so they may have all the shopping in near future that alpharetta has now, and for a lower cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 08:22 PM

11 posts, read 84,076 times
Well, don't get me wrong it is very hot here and humidity is always a factor - but it is REALLy bad those three months. The winters are short and not terribly cold, so the spring and fall are really the best weatherwise. And when it is 75 F here in March and they are suffering through their fifth snow storm up north you are happy to take the hot summers in return. And really it isn't that big of a deal, everything is airconditioned, your home, your car, your office, your resturants,etc....Yes, pricewise Buford is definitely better than Alpharetta and the Mall of Georgia is nice enough and, yes, very large.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:41 AM

985 posts, read 5,759,052 times
I would avoid Buford. The school district in latest SAT is very sub standard, even compared to the County of Gwinnett. Cumming has better SAT score.

A couple of weeks ago, polices just bust largest meth in Georgia history in Buford.

Also, just check the forum for an earlier post. There is somebody from Buford mentioned earlier that Buford is go down the hill.

Last edited by jxu66; 08-30-2006 at 05:52 AM..

Old 08-30-2006, 06:20 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
I would avoid Buford. The school district in latest SAT is very sub standard, even compared to the County of Gwinnett. Cumming has better SAT score.

A couple of weeks ago, polices just bust largest meth in Georgia history in Buford.

Also, just check the forum for an earlier post. There is somebody from Buford mentioned earlier that Buford is go down the hill.
Buford is not going down hill.

The issues facing Buford is the Rt 20 corridor to the West of I-985 and some areas in the NW. I would compare Buford to your Duluth. Nice in some areas but slipping along the Pleasant Hill areas off I-85.

The Mall of Georgia area off Exit 115 on 85 or Exit 4 off 985 is a good area.
Actually it is a cross between the Buford zip code and the Dacula zip code.
The Gravel Springs Road area is mostly new townhomes from Rt 20 to Rt 124.
Then after turning into Auburn Road (4miles east of the MAG) you find new housing developments.

I think overall the skinny is out of control growth. When you look at Gwinnett County GA, the population has grown from 200,000 to 750,000 in the last decade. When growth is this quick your bound to bring in some issues with it.

As far as schools, Dacula and Mill Creek are ranked better than Buford.

If you have any other questions about the NE Gwinnett area feel free

Old 08-30-2006, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereohwhere View Post
If humidity is only an issue for 3 months out of the year, and relatively mild besides that, that seems VERY ideal to me??

Are you familiar with Mall of GA? Someone said that is in/near buford and is the largest mall in all of GA? The main reason I am hoping to find a home in Buford or cumming is because the homes seem a little less and property tax is lower. I have heard that they are developing fast, so they may have all the shopping in near future that alpharetta has now, and for a lower cost?

Part II

Cumming is nice, but traffic is a nightmare. Only one way in and out and that is Rt 20 to the 400. Average homes will run 300+K.
Mall of GA, would be Dacula and Hamilton Mill. Average homes are 225-1M depending on your size and development. Both are nice areas.

Property taxes depend upon you zip code. On average a home for 250K new will cost you about 2400-2600 per annum in property tax. Sales tax in Gwinnett is 6% GA is 4% county 2%.

Growth. yep and in my opinion out of control Now they are making rt 324 into a 4 lane and another exit (Future 117) to be added for another route into the Mall. This should be completed by 2009.

In the 30019 and 30011 zips you will find home appreciation averaging 8-10% currently. One of the highest in the state due to the rapid growth. The best example is Exit 126 Braselton. They are building a 55+ community known as Sun City. Last year this time they began advertising. HOMES FROM 160!!! They broke ground finally last month. HOMES FROM THE 200's and 300's!!!!
What the heck happened to 160k? This is just one example.

Last year Hamilton Mill started in the 240's current date you will average 280-300 for the same place. As with everything it is cyclical, and when the growth slows so will the appreciation.

Good Luck

Old 08-30-2006, 02:01 PM

10 posts, read 106,043 times
Default Interested in Moving to Georgia, Needs Advice.....

I currently live in Florida and very seriously looking to relocate to Georgia, and really need some good advice.

Can you give me your advice on how you like to work & live in Georgia?
And your opinion of the the best cities to live & work in Georgia?
Average Rental Apartment & Housing Prices are in these areas too?

Can anyone tell me if there's any employment demand for Professional Employment as either a Corporate Trainer, Graphic Designer/Advertising/ Promotions?

Thanks So Much

Old 08-30-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy718 View Post
I currently live in Florida and very seriously looking to relocate to Georgia, and really need some good advice.

Can you give me your advice on how you like to work & live in Georgia?
And your opinion of the the best cities to live & work in Georgia?
Average Rental Apartment & Housing Prices are in these areas too?

Can anyone tell me if there's any employment demand for Professional Employment as either a Corporate Trainer, Graphic Designer/Advertising/ Promotions?

Thanks So Much

Well, I like the Dacula / Buford / Braselton area. But JX has a point, in Buford you must make sure it is not part of the Buford School system. This would mean staying away from the 20 corridor and focusing on NE Buford in the Mill Creek section. Keep in mind the zip codes are weird out here due to the growth. Your in Dacula but have an Auburn zip code. Your zip code is Barrow County but you live in Gwinnett, your school district is Dacula but you have a Auburn address, you live in Buford but have a Braselton zip and Mill Creek/Dacula school zone etc.etc.

Now JX and I agree to disagree on much. I thinks she is a city person and I still like a little elbow room. I enjoy looking out my living room window at the woods, I enjoy going one way past the cows and going the other way to the Mall of GA. Everything is within 10 minutes of my house. Now if you like the city then Duluth, Buckhead, etc. is the way to go.

Housing will average, this is nice areas, you have to watch the south and areas. Frankly, you can get the Boy'z in the Hood or the Good Ole Boy's in the Hood's.
The Dacula area will provide nice neighborhoods, diversity, and a rather laid back family approach for an area outside of a large city. Homes will go from 240 to 1 million.
The best way to think of property taxes in Gwinnett is if your home is worth 300,000 your taxes will be 3,000 per year.

For the Atlanta area I like the Northern area and Northeast.
I am not a fan of the city of.... Nor am I a fan of DeKalb and Clayton county

What part of Florida are you in and what do you like to do in regard to your career?
That can play a big part. Job areas play another because being to far away can make you life miserable in regard to traffic.....

Good Luck

Old 08-30-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph2 View Post
Well, don't get me wrong it is very hot here and humidity is always a factor - but it is REALLy bad those three months. The winters are short and not terribly cold, so the spring and fall are really the best weatherwise. And when it is 75 F here in March and they are suffering through their fifth snow storm up north you are happy to take the hot summers in return. And really it isn't that big of a deal, everything is airconditioned, your home, your car, your office, your resturants,etc....Yes, pricewise Buford is definitely better than Alpharetta and the Mall of Georgia is nice enough and, yes, very large.
Don't forget, you want CLOTH seats in your car, not LEATHER!
They will call you Blister Hiiiney in mid July if you do

Old 08-31-2006, 07:10 PM

20 posts, read 85,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Well, I like the Dacula / Buford / Braselton area. But JX has a point, in Buford you must make sure it is not part of the Buford School system. This would mean staying away from the 20 corridor and focusing on NE Buford in the Mill Creek section. Keep in mind the zip codes are weird out here due to the growth. Your in Dacula but have an Auburn zip code. Your zip code is Barrow County but you live in Gwinnett, your school district is Dacula but you have a Auburn address, you live in Buford but have a Braselton zip and Mill Creek/Dacula school zone etc.etc.

Now JX and I agree to disagree on much. I thinks she is a city person and I still like a little elbow room. I enjoy looking out my living room window at the woods, I enjoy going one way past the cows and going the other way to the Mall of GA. Everything is within 10 minutes of my house. Now if you like the city then Duluth, Buckhead, etc. is the way to go.

Housing will average, this is nice areas, you have to watch the south and areas. Frankly, you can get the Boy'z in the Hood or the Good Ole Boy's in the Hood's.
The Dacula area will provide nice neighborhoods, diversity, and a rather laid back family approach for an area outside of a large city. Homes will go from 240 to 1 million.
The best way to think of property taxes in Gwinnett is if your home is worth 300,000 your taxes will be 3,000 per year.

For the Atlanta area I like the Northern area and Northeast.
I am not a fan of the city of.... Nor am I a fan of DeKalb and Clayton county

What part of Florida are you in and what do you like to do in regard to your career?
That can play a big part. Job areas play another because being to far away can make you life miserable in regard to traffic.....

Good Luck
Thanks for all the info, you sound like you know all the areas pretty well...
Have you looked at an newer subdivisions lately? If commute to work and schools weren't an issue, and you could spend up to 350K, what community would you buy in today?

Old 09-01-2006, 10:47 AM

Personally, I would look into Ryland, they have a very good warranty. There are also some independents.
Ivy Chase on Old Peachtree Road Dacula
Hamilton Mill Development

Both can run into the 300's

There is Saddlebrook on 324 in Dacula/Auburn which will run 170-250. Know a couple people there and no complaints.

There is a couple that I would stay far away from. Cannot mention their names, but all I will say is if you visit let your nose to the work in the basements, let your eyes to the work in the attic ares with the tresel's.

Make sure the builder has used copper piping, and most of all in Georgia, make sure the builder has a full proof warranty. Ryland will give you a good example, they do have one of the best warranties around.

Case in point, until this year the State of GA did not require that builders be certified, licensed, and insured. So you had many run a muks slapping things together with mostly illegal labor.

Take your time and look closely. If you have bought and sold before it's like riding a bike. It will come to you quickly.

PS: Appalachee has some good homes to but there are mixed builders there.

Good Luck

If you find this helpful please click below
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta