Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:17 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times

Advertisements

After the 'dust settled' from the Royal Wedding--I began to think about my roots.

Manchester/The River Medlock--farming, trade center, the atom was first split there, radical politics--I would bet anything that my ancestors were outraged over the Corn Law--?1839--just the sort of thing that sets the descendants off at any rate. 'Rolling on the River'--Ike and Tina--'Proud Mary'--how I love that song.

The River Medlock
http://www.philipspark.org.uk/Sites/...iver_103MB.pdf
themeddyman-
http://themeddyman.blogspot.com/

The Hooch
Chattahoochee River
http://www.brownsguides.com/v/chattahoochee-river-dams/

Pubs--shops--any specialty item related to Manchester?
This sounds like my kind of restaurant--I don't need/want The Best. Good food, interesting ambience--hopefully seafood.
http://www.market-restaurant.com/history.html
After reading about the Northern Quarter--I know I must go. Sounds like VaHi to me.
The Market
http://www.market-restaurant.com/ima...20mar%2011.pdf

Has anyone been to Manchester? or similar places in the UK?

Feel free to share whatever you feel inclined to share--England Swings Like a Pendulum Do--long live the silver ball the 70's.
Good times were had--Elton John, Cat Stevens, Credence Clearwater Revival, Knock 3 Times on the Ceiling--and 'Indiana Wants You'--we went to Underground dressed fashionably in midi dresses and the lace up boots. Absolutely wild.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-03-2011 at 12:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 06:50 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I have heard Manchester compared to Atlanta before, as both cities experienced rapid growth and gentrification in the late 20th century.
If I had any say-so, I would love to see Covent Garden used as a template for the new Streets of Buckhead development: Vibrant, walkable and charming.
Welcome To Covent Garden

Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 AM

91 posts, read 163,415 times
Hey i am originally from Manchester, lived all over the joint, Stretford Rusholme, Old Trafford Rusholme, Longsight to name a few. Loved it, now live in London but to me there is no city in the world that I like more than Atlanta. My fiance and I will be making the move next year preferably Midtown. What steps did you take to get your stay??

Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdeezy View Post
Hey i am originally from Manchester, lived all over the joint, Stretford Rusholme, Old Trafford Rusholme, Longsight to name a few. Loved it, now live in London but to me there is no city in the world that I like more than Atlanta. My fiance and I will be making the move next year preferably Midtown. What steps did you take to get your stay??
lol--I am a native Atlantan---nice to meet you--I'd like to talk about Manchester/UK---my family started off there--lol--those that I know --my kinfolk are your stereotypical Rednecks---one won't leave the contiguous states---we are pretty crazy---stubborn as mules--is that how it is in Manchester?
--from what I've read it sounds great--I want to get over there--somehow, some day---

there are threads about what to do to get started. You need to talk to the poster 'RainyRainyDay'--came down from Canada---she knows a good bit--DM her
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ay-254227.html

You will like the ATL --just ask--we love to share our vast knowledge--lol---tell us where you want to be--and somebody will know something---Southern Hospitality---we've got it--and more lol

I'll DM you if that's OK--the Royal Wedding----always loved Elton John--'Madman Across the Water'--lots of great music from the UK-we seem to swap back and forth---thanx to the Beatles, eh?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 AM

yea no problem, England is cool but very rainy and the people can be miserable at times. However you will love the history out here. Been Atlanta few times very impressed by the lush trees and landscape. Seems like there are a loy of opportunities for a young proffesional like myself. Feel free to contact me if you wish

Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
yea no problem, England is cool but very rainy and the people can be miserable at times. However you will love the history out here. Been Atlanta few times very impressed by the lush trees and landscape. Seems like there are a loy of opportunities for a young proffesional like myself. Feel free to contact me if you wish
I will--DM you. Have you been to The Market restaurant in the North Quarter?
http://www.market-restaurant.com/ima...20mar%2011.pdf

we have VA Hi--Virginia Highland--and Inman Park with similar restaurants--shopping and dining--historic areas. First you go to Piedmont Park and then you go to The Varsity--chili dog and a Frosty orange. Then you are an ATLIEN. lol

what field interests you--lots of opportunity if you know what you want--entrepreneurs--a growing number of them--corporations--universities, hospitals, IT--artistic pursuits.

If you are very specific the posters here give good suggestions. I google--made some career changes--and will make another one--since I've been around so long--I've found ways and means.

--lol--alternative sort of person it seems--serendipity--not certain you would want to approach your job search that way.

You can always start with the DOL/Dept of Labor--I am familiar with their process--time consuming at times. Better to just do it yourself--fwiw.

we've got some great trees keeps the asphalt jungle a bit cooler--Green is the goal here---in all kinds of ways. Beltline Project--the OP/first poster is someone who has a lot of good ideas. so kewl.
WSB-TV Atlanta Beltline Prime time Special on tonight

Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 AM

VA Hi is a nice area very quirky. I currently work in Media sales at the moment as well as run a home based internet business, so I am looking for lots of contacts for networking purposes, never been to the market in the north quarter lol

Old 05-03-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
VA Hi is a nice area very quirky. I currently work in Media sales at the moment as well as run a home based internet business, so I am looking for lots of contacts for networking purposes, never been to the market in the north quarter lol
http://www.coxmediagroup.com/--one (broken link) of our most comprehensive corporations

'The Media' of Atlanta is totally Cox--terrible newspaper--750AM--the flagship of The Firm--I suppose they pay well--it would kill them to part with a penny--it you can 'stand' that sort of thing--contact them.

CNN

Coca Cola

Home Depot

thousands and thousands of options--I imagine there are opportunities you would enjoy in Alpharetta--not my 'hood--others know it well.

There are networking groups---it isn't that hard to get connected. Comb your hair, look your best and start talking. I put my foot in my mouth too much---so I have to avoid many jobs that might pay better than others.

I enjoy Hospitality and Food---worked as a caterers assistant for a while--delivered phone books--lots of temp--not that great with technology--got into trouble answering phones. lol--I know I need to be one of Meg Ryan's characters--books, writing--communication--one of those people. Best suited for SNL--the original SNL. or I don't know what--we shall see.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:28 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Any place like this in the Atlanta area?

Myers of Keswick - Home

Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Any place like this in the Atlanta area?

Myers of Keswick - Home
Yup.

Taste of Britain - Online Shopping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta