Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,852 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am moving to Atlanta from Cleveland to live with my girlfriend, a resident of Cherokee County. I am planning on attending grad school when I make the move and was wondering if anyone could provide any insight into the pros/cons of Kennesaw and Georgia State? I am hoping to pursue a MPA or an MBA and really would appreciate some info from the City-Data experts. I am excited to make the move and eager to join the local Browns Backers Worldwide Club and move to such a thriving city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
What are your criteria?

From Cherokee County, KSU is closer. For GSU you'd have to drive to the heart of downtown Atlanta. As an alternative, you can drive to the North Springs Marta station and take the train to GSU. As a student you can get MARTA cards at a discount. GSU does have an Alpharetta campus, but I don't know if you can take all your courses there.

For parking, you'd think KSU is best but I think they have a shortage of spaces. If you choose to drive to GSU, there is the issue of downtown parking but Turner field is an alternative (when there is not a Braves game) and there is a shuttle. Otherwise, North Springs has a parking deck.

If you like a more traditional college campus, KSU is your choice. GSU is an urban campus.

GSU's tuition costs more as it is a research university, but KSU hits you with a lot of fees and requires you to do their meal plan. But if you intend to eat at KSU anyway, the meal plan will work out for you. Of course, GSU has a lot of fees too.

As for programs, GSU's business programs are recognized and ranked by US News and are better across the board than KSU's. KSU's business school is good but hasn't achieved national stature.

And if it matters, GSU has football while KSU doesn't (not yet anyway).

Old 05-13-2011, 08:06 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
If you're going for an MBA, Georgia State is really a no brainer. I did my undergrad there from 2002-2006 and had a great time. Met a lot of people, got a great education, and my biggest problems since then have been which job to choose out of multiple offers and what part of the country I want to live in.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
I have to say this is a no brainer... Ignoring all the things like meal plans... sports... student life...ease of commuts CD people tend to focus on and focusing on the point of graduate/professional education... advanced education..

If you can get in... Georgia State all the way. It is a full research university with wider array of graduate programs and funding. It is much more established and has alot more to offer to a serious graduate student.

KSU is a great up and coming university, but it is still just a state regional university. This means it will have less financial support for graduate programs and only offers minimal programs like an MBA... masters in education... nursing... They also don't have many Ph'd programs. for a -typical- undergrad it is a an excellent place for a core education.

If you go the MBA route.... and can actually get in... I would strongly recommend looking at Georgia Tech and the MBA satellite program for UGA in Buckhead. Those will be very competitive programs.

If you can afford a private university's, Emory has an excellent business school.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:52 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Some of this will depend on where you'll be living also. I'd absolutely hate to make the drive from Cherokee County all the way to downtown 2-3 days a week. You're asking for total traffic frustration, LOL.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
KSU is a great up and coming university, but it is still just a state regional university. This means it will have less financial support for graduate programs and only offers minimal programs like an MBA... masters in education... nursing... They also don't have many Ph'd programs. for a -typical- undergrad it is a an excellent place for a core education.
KSU however has targeted its business programs for excellence much to the chagrin of KSU professors in other departments. KSU profs complain that the business school profs get the best pay. And KSU offers a DBA, a Doctorate in Business Administration. GSU's programs are more recognized but KSU isn't bad.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Some of this will depend on where you'll be living also. I'd absolutely hate to make the drive from Cherokee County all the way to downtown 2-3 days a week. You're asking for total traffic frustration, LOL.
Again, as I pointed out above, you can drive to North Springs and take the train in and avoid the traffic. The train goes straight to GSU.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 7,852 times
We've been looking in the Woodstock or Roswell areas. I've got the grades and GRE scores for either school but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. KSU also offers a dual MPA/MBA program, which makes it really intriguing. Thanks guys!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Again, as I pointed out above, you can drive to North Springs and take the train in and avoid the traffic. The train goes straight to GSU.
That's not the quickest and most pleasant drive from Cherokee County, believe me. I've taken that route via the back roads more than once during different times of the day.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTribe View Post
We've been looking in the Woodstock or Roswell areas. I've got the grades and GRE scores for either school but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. KSU also offers a dual MPA/MBA program, which makes it really intriguing. Thanks guys!
From Woodstock, it's going to be a hassle to get downtown, either driving directly there to driving to the North Springs MARTA station. Living in Roswell (which is in northern Fulton County) and driving to the MARTA station is more of a straight shot though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta