Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:43 PM

444 posts, read 703,777 times

Advertisements

I've heard from a source over at the SkyscraperPage forum that an Apple store, similar to the one at Lenox Mall, is going in the GTech Barnes & Noble. I'm not sure how accurate this is. Hopefully someone here can confirm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 05:37 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
I've heard from a source over at the SkyscraperPage forum that an Apple store, similar to the one at Lenox Mall, is going in the GTech Barnes & Noble. I'm not sure how accurate this is. Hopefully someone here can confirm.

That would be awesome, but I liked the original plan of putting one in the Midtown Mile project???? Atlanta needs another one, all of the other store's are maddening all the time. Especially Lenox.

Last edited by brent6969; 05-24-2011 at 06:23 AM..

Old 05-24-2011, 06:21 AM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
I have my doubts. At least not *in* the Barnes & Noble. There is already an Apple area in that store and they do a lot of the GT student business. I can't see them giving that up.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:48 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
If you start plopping down Apple stores everywhere you dilute their value and uniqueness. I'm not sure how often folks need to go to an Apple retail store anyway. We've got several Apple products -- desktop, a MacBook Pro, Airport Extreme, iPhones, etc. -- but didn't buy any of them at a company store.

I'm not really against it but it just seems like Atlanta is way over-retailed already. Why not simply take the train a stop or two?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
As far as I know, I don't think it is an Apple Store or at least not a full one. And it might be only for the Georgia Tech community, or at least the discounts will only apply to them.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 AM

562 posts, read 1,790,954 times
Doesnt seem to make sense, that barnes and nobles gets tons of business from GT students. If it closes then there is no bookstore for GT students in the area. Personally it would make more sense to put it at Atlantic Station. AS would get a big boost, esp for the clientele they are trying to attract. And apple stores do well no matter where they are, and they could probably get cheaper rent there than GT square.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If you start plopping down Apple stores everywhere you dilute their value and uniqueness. I'm not sure how often folks need to go to an Apple retail store anyway. We've got several Apple products -- desktop, a MacBook Pro, Airport Extreme, iPhones, etc. -- but didn't buy any of them at a company store.

I'm not really against it but it just seems like Atlanta is way over-retailed already. Why not simply take the train a stop or two?
Ffffppppppphhhhhh!!!(sprays milk out of nose)

Old 05-24-2011, 01:34 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times
Lots of people go to the Apple stores after they purchase their products for repair, classes, updates. Some Apple stores such as the New York Soho store have a big auditorium like space with lots of classes. More stores could allow more services. And people always seem to like to hang out and play with the newest of toys.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Lots of people go to the Apple stores after they purchase their products for repair, classes, updates. Some Apple stores such as the New York Soho store have a big auditorium like space with lots of classes. More stores could allow more services. And people always seem to like to hang out and play with the newest of toys.
I guess you are right. The few times I've been in an Apple store the people acted like they were too busy (or too cool) to help me. So we usually just go to Fry's or snag what we need online.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:34 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,535,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Apple has surpassed Tiffany's as the retailer that makes the most money per sq foot.

http://www.9to5mac.com/67978/feature...-off-big-time/

It would be cool if that area by Tech became a "tech" district but I'm a dreamer
Apple Stores: Fun factoids
• Apple Retail employs 30,000 hip people
• average per-square-foot revenue was $4,300 in late 2009 versus $872 for Best Buy
• they spend about $315,000 per store on wood furniture
• flagship stores cost anywhere between $20 and $40 million versus about $1 for a small mall store
• the Boston store is the largest in North America
• the world’s largest Apple Store is located in London’s Regent Street, measuring 25,000 square feet
• the smallest outlet is the 540 square feet store Santa Rosa Plaza, California
• the Bondi store in Australia has a living tree inside
• flagship stores are found at landmark spots in Boston, New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, Tokyo, Osaka, London, Sydney, Perth, Montreal, Munich, Zurich, Paris, Beijing, Glasgow, Honolulu and Shanghai
• perhaps the most famous Apple Store is the flagship 32-foot glass cube New York City store on Fifth Avenue, open 24 hours a day
• 10,000 people applied for a job at Manhattan’s Upper West Side store in 2009, but only 200 were accepted
• more than half of the Macs sold in Apple’s retail stores are purchased by switchers
• Gary Allen’s ifoAppleStore, which passionately follows Apple Stores, has nearly 2,000 pages of information on all aspects of Apple’s retail store operation (and they have more amusing factoids)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta