Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,172 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

My best friend and I are looking to relocate to atlanta from Maryland. I was just wondering what is the best area? what are some nice apartment communities? what industry is hiring the most? Does anyone know of any apartments with all utilities included? I'm currently doing classes online working towards a computer science degree, I have 2 years of government (clerical) experience and I currently work for the government but they cannot transfer my job and he has retail experience and security experience. I'll fill this out too. Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Budget $1100/month (hopefully an apartment under 800/month and utlities can make up the rest)
2. House/Condo/Townhome? apartment 2 bedrooms
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) commute, I have a car
4. Children(public school vs. private) No Kids, Not Planning or Trying for any.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two. We're not picky
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Easy access is preferred but not necessary
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. We're not picky.

Thanks once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 02:49 PM

538 posts, read 926,180 times
I would suggest an apartment in Midtown near Piedmont Park where they have a special event called "Screen on the Green" every Thursday night in the summer months. We are no longer allowed to talk about Screen on the Green on this forum but do your research....LOL.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 AM

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll take a look at that area now.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:27 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,880 times
I would not recommend moving unless/until you have a job here already. The job situation is still pretty sketchy from the economy.

You may have trouble finding an apt for under $800 in the Piedmont Park area. Other intown places to consider include East Atlanta, Old Fourth Ward, Cabbagetown and Grant Park. If you don't mind a near suburb, take a look at Norcross/Peachtree Corners, Chamblee/Tucker, Doraville, Marietta, Sandy Springs.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:24 AM

I agree. I have been recieving calls from the jobs i've applied to. Thank goodness. I'm attempting to get my current job transferred. I'll take a look at those locations too.
Thank you.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:45 PM

318 posts, read 506,280 times
Im Thinking of moving to atl, following behind my sister in the fall as well! I have only lived in boston and DC so im scared as hell of the idea of not living in a walking city, but i still think it may be a good move! Keep us updated!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 PM

75 posts, read 118,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSyddy View Post
Im Thinking of moving to atl, following behind my sister in the fall as well! I have only lived in boston and DC so im scared as hell of the idea of not living in a walking city, but i still think it may be a good move! Keep us updated!
My boys and I God willing will be moving down to Atlanta in the Castelberry area. We live in Prince Georges in Maryland near DC. DC is growing to fast with rich people and Hispanish people who cannot speak English. Rent goes up up up. I have to share in a one bedroom because of the high rent.

There are some people on this website (they have asked to remain unknown for now) who will help you move here. NOt sure if you were aware but the Census in Atlanta was jacked by people not wanting to see Atlanta grow. The Mayor is fighting the Census numbers and by moving to Atlanta we can help with the challenge. Atlanta is the Black mecca now. Chocolate City DC is no longer for me I'm afraid but I have faith in the Lord that Atlanta will be my ticket to the future.

~Markesha

Old 07-09-2011, 12:14 PM

75 posts, read 118,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTiff804 View Post
I agree. I have been recieving calls from the jobs i've applied to. Thank goodness. I'm attempting to get my current job transferred. I'll take a look at those locations too.
Thank you.
Look at Castleberry. Having trouble finding apartments with daycare for my boys like I have up here in PG.

~Markesha

Old 07-15-2011, 10:14 AM

439 posts, read 852,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSyddy View Post
Highly suggest come visit first and have a feel for it yourself.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 AM

439 posts, read 852,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkeshaThnx4Lyfe View Post
My boys and I God willing will be moving down to Atlanta in the Castelberry area. We live in Prince Georges in Maryland near DC. DC is growing to fast with rich people and Hispanish people who cannot speak English. Rent goes up up up. I have to share in a one bedroom because of the high rent.

There are some people on this website (they have asked to remain unknown for now) who will help you move here. NOt sure if you were aware but the Census in Atlanta was jacked by people not wanting to see Atlanta grow. The Mayor is fighting the Census numbers and by moving to Atlanta we can help with the challenge. Atlanta is the Black mecca now. Chocolate City DC is no longer for me I'm afraid but I have faith in the Lord that Atlanta will be my ticket to the future.

~Markesha
Your remarks are so unintelligent and just degrade the ability of a serious potential mover to actually move to Atlanta.

FYI:

The city of Atlanta is seeing a unique and drastic demographic increase in its white population, and at a pace that outstrips the rest of the nation. The proportion of whites in the city's population, according to Brookings Institution, grew faster between 2000 and 2006 than that of any other U.S. city. By 2010, Atlanta's white population had increased by 22,763 people. The white percentage increased from 31% in 2000, to 35% in 2006, to 38% in 2010, more than double the increase between 1990 and 2000. During the same time, the city's black poulation decreased by 28,795 people, shrinking from 61.4% of the city's population in 2000 to 54.0% in 2010. The demographic changes are due to an influx of whites into gentrifying intown neighborhoods, such as East Atlanta and the Old Fourth Ward, coupled with a movement of blacks into adjacent suburbs, such as Clayton County.

FYI Castleberry: If you do not like progress, character, class = GENTRIFICATION, Castleberry may not be for you.

Young professionals lead surge of intown living
An energy has taken hold in the city of Atlanta, driven by young, college-educated professionals who want — and can afford — a lifestyle rich in variety, diversity and excitement, all close to home. They are moving in by the thousands, transforming abandoned warehouses into lofts, vacant lots into dog parks and communities long in decline into neighborhoods of choice.
More here – http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/young-professionals-lead-surge-907440.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta