Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times

Advertisements

And I like how this is going on with another thread saying Georgia is the for 4th best state for businesses.

Last edited by chiatldal; 06-28-2011 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
And I like how this is going on with another thread saying Georgia is the for 4th best state for businesses.
Do note that ranking was for 2010...factors were maybe good for businesses in 2010 but not many were started although I admit I have no numbers...Texas was #1 on that list...again. Sure it no it ain't paradise, no place is. I am hoping that my employment opportunities are better in Texas then Georgia. Atlanta is GA, that's pretty much it. At least in Texas, one has potential opportunities in Houston, Austin, and San Antonio which are and should continue to be growing cities. And they are really not all that far away from each other. I haven't heard talk of it, but I think a bullet train connecting these cities would be awesome. Texaplex.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:51 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab1024 View Post
Do note that ranking was for 2010...factors were maybe good for businesses in 2010 but not many were started although I admit I have no numbers...Texas was #1 on that list...again. Sure it no it ain't paradise, no place is. I am hoping that my employment opportunities are better in Texas then Georgia. Atlanta is GA, that's pretty much it. At least in Texas, one has potential opportunities in Houston, Austin, and San Antonio which are and should continue to be growing cities. And they are really not all that far away from each other. I haven't heard talk of it, but I think a bullet train connecting these cities would be awesome. Texaplex.
it's 2011
americas-top-states-business-cnbc-2011: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/113031/americas-top-states-business-cnbc-2011 - broken link)

yeah Texas is a large state but anyways. Atlanta is apart of the Piedmont region. There are a lot more cities, higher density, and generally more people on the Piedmont corridor, then the Texaplex, the Texas triangle or what ever you want to call it. And connection the Piedmont would be a lot simpler.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Yea , but budget cutting won't affect private developers....
I will impact everyone's quality of life within the region. Your entire region is still bleeding population to this part of the country. There is a reason for that.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I will impact everyone's quality of life within the region. Your entire region is still bleeding population to this part of the country. There is a reason for that.
Its not bleeding , its just not growing at a fast pace.... And the South will run into issues within a few decades while the Northeast will never have those issues...

Old 06-29-2011, 08:28 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its not bleeding , its just not growing at a fast pace.... And the South will run into issues within a few decades while the Northeast will never have those issues...
Don't bet on it. What you don't know about the South could fill VOLUMES, as you have proven multiple times, in multiple posts.

If you don't think people from NY, NJ, CT and the rest of your region are not moving here in droves, you haven't been paying attention. I personally wish it would slow down some.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:41 AM

396 posts, read 601,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleops View Post
Heh, yeah Dallas may not have as many poor people as Atlanta. Not sure but, that could explain the numbers.

In any case, it sounds like you are mentally attached to a city-but facts are facts. Atlanta is projected to recover well behind other areas of the country, including Texas.
not quite - they're actually about the same when it comes to poverty. The Top 30 Poorest Cities in The United States......

houston and dallas went through their own periods of stagnation in the 80s and 90s, during much less daunting economic times before returning to growth - and even with their natural resource base of oil. it was almost inevitable that atlanta would eventually come upon one of our own major bouts of growing pains, in this case right in the middle of major economic recession.

petroleum forms the base of houston's and to an extent (with natural gas) dallas' economies. we've never had that sort of resource, and in the long run i think it will help us out - oil is drying up after all.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Great... just what the suburbs need, more apartments.

In my opinion, suburban apartments need to go the way of the dodo. Unlike the 70s-90s era, young people don't want to live in suburban apartments. They want to live intown. And if there is no demand among the young professionals, then who exactly is going to be living in these apartments? Who wants an apartment in Johns Creek?
My guess is that there are likely young professionals working in the tech and other businesses that are growing in that area, and who do not yet have the income to purchase a home. Just my hunch.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:09 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
not quite - they're actually about the same when it comes to poverty. The Top 30 Poorest Cities in The United States......

houston and dallas went through their own periods of stagnation in the 80s and 90s, during much less daunting economic times before returning to growth - and even with their natural resource base of oil. it was almost inevitable that atlanta would eventually come upon one of our own major bouts of growing pains, in this case right in the middle of major economic recession.

petroleum forms the base of houston's and to an extent (with natural gas) dallas' economies. we've never had that sort of resource, and in the long run i think it will help us out - oil is drying up after all.
That's exactly it. There is no magic secret to why Texas as a whole and Dallas and Houston in particular are doing so well during this recession: Oil and Natural Gas prices have skyrocketed during the Recession and is the only two things that haven't fallen flat in the last 3 years.

So yeah, big surprise they are doing things right now we can't in terms of development but they too are feeling the pinch of bank financing not being available for projects.

Also, I fear that Texas may not learn the lesson of this recession properly. While Atlanta has weathered the recession pretty bad, we haven't fallen down and are continuing to grow. It is a reflection of our diverse economy that we haven't had to deal with the full brunt of the economic problems. Most of the economy in Texas revolves around natural resources and finite ones at that.

In the short term they are good (like next half century or so) but after that they may not be. Dallas has started expanding it's economy to other sectors that aren't tied to a finite resource such as IT and has been for a while now one of the country's big logistical hubs (like Atlanta) so they should be good in the long term. But Houston...they need to figure out another basket to place their eggs.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Don't bet on it. What you don't know about the South could fill VOLUMES, as you have proven multiple times, in multiple posts.

If you don't think people from NY, NJ, CT and the rest of your region are not moving here in droves, you haven't been paying attention. I personally wish it would slow down some.
The regional isn't bleeding , its growing slowly.... As proven in the last census , the only state bleeding is Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta