Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 07:18 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

One community that is off the radar for many is the westside neighborhood of Whittier Mill Village. It offers easy access to the city combined with a somewhat rural feel. In addition, the prices are considerably better than what you find in the eastside neighborhoods.

Whittier Mill Village Neighborhood Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 07:19 AM

461 posts, read 1,069,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
DeKalb currently doesn't allow chickens. Medlock Bridge is in DeKalb. DeKalb may change their zoning code in the next year, but make sure you buy a large enough lot. Some of the ordinances I have seen require a far amount of distance from your back property line to the chicken hutch.
Decatur City does of course though. And Intown Homes and Arjay are completely correct about chicken owners. Everyone I know that has them, does so to have fresh eggs, although the chickens do tend to become part of the family. If I didn't have 3 large dogs that would chase them relentlessly, I would have some myself.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:27 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
I agree. And of course, there are people in DeKalb (outside of Decatur) who have chickens. It can just be whether your neighbors turn you in -- if they even know they are there.

Our yard isn't large enough -- or I would be into it as well.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:26 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I can't imagine why any city or county would disallow raising chickens for domestic purposes. That's a perfect example of the government sticking its snout into matters it ought to leave alone. Of course it's appropriate to regulate them so that people aren't intruding on their neighbors. But an outright ban?

What's next, no dogs?

Old 07-02-2011, 04:15 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I've never understood the chicken affection (that's not a criticism of chicken folks) - are they pets or a food source? If pets, do you bond with them? Growing up in the country, we always had a few running around, but I never considered them as pets.
We had 42 chickens at one time (had a small 5-acre farm). Mostly I just liked having amazing fresh eggs, but they were fun to watch too - especially the mamas with their chicks. Only a few had names. I was ethically OK with eating them if needed, but could never bring myself to deal with the mess of "processing."

Old 07-02-2011, 04:23 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban5 View Post
What does it cost to raise/keep a dozen chickens or so?
Chickens are pretty cheap to keep. Assuming you have a safe place for them to live (a secure coop for nighttime, a fenced-in run for day), it's just a matter of food and water. A 40-lb bag of good chicken feed costs about $14, and would last a dozen chickens for about two weeks. They also eat trimmings from vegetables and garden stuff like weeds, and keep bugs away. A dozen mature hens will give you 8-10 eggs/day in laying season. Lots more chicken info here.

Sorry about the thread derailment, OP! Hope you can find your perfect little intown homestead.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:53 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
DeKalb currently doesn't allow chickens. Medlock Bridge is in DeKalb. DeKalb may change their zoning code in the next year, but make sure you buy a large enough lot. Some of the ordinances I have seen require a far amount of distance from your back property line to the chicken hutch.

Medlock Park is in DeKalb.

Medlock Bridge is in North Fulton/Johns Creek.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:54 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
One community that is off the radar for many is the westside neighborhood of Whittier Mill Village. It offers easy access to the city combined with a somewhat rural feel. In addition, the prices are considerably better than what you find in the eastside neighborhoods.

Whittier Mill Village Neighborhood Association

Agreed. Good suggestion.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:52 AM

115 posts, read 424,221 times
I don't know about chickens in Sandy Springs, but you can get a bigger lot ITP Sandy Springs with an older ranch on it. Many are very private. The house would be a bit bigger than you're looking for, but the rooms usually aren't huge in the older houses.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 AM

285 posts, read 876,563 times
I have a ~1000sqft 2/1 with a partially finished basement that is the same size as the house that I'm about to put on the market in City of Decatur. It already has a chicken coop that will fit 8-10 chickens and an established garden that has 5 ~3'x16' raised beds that I built myself. The lot is about 70'x350' so there are neighbors next door, but you can't see the neighbors behind the house. The back part of the back yard is really private. The backyard and garden are completely fenced in for dogs. Oh, and there are 3 Mulberry trees already on the property

I wouldn't call it a "fixer upper" but there's definitely some room for improvements (mostly cosmetic), it's probably going to be one of the cheaper houses you're going to find in CoD also, especially with a basement.

PM me if you're interested
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta