Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 AM

39 posts, read 69,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
If you were a white college student or the parent of a white college student (considering that many would receive extra funding due to their "minority" status at an HBCU), what would convince you to attending an educational institution such as Morehouse, Clark Atlanta University, or Spelman?

To put it another way, what would keep you from attending these institutions?
Nope. First, the colleges are in a seedy part of town. Second, why put more hurdles in the path of success than are naturally there? Sure, you can get an education there, but education isn't what college is really about. And everyone will question why as a white folk, you went to a black school. Will not reflect well, right or wrong. Just keepin' it real.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl4lyfe View Post
Nope. First, the colleges are in a seedy part of town. Second, why put more hurdles in the path of success than are naturally there? Sure, you can get an education there, but education isn't what college is really about. And everyone will question why as a white folk, you went to a black school. Will not reflect well, right or wrong. Just keepin' it real.
What? That just makes no sense whatsoever. First you are basically saying that attending an HBCU is a hurdle toward success. Second, you state education isn't what college is about; then what exactly is the point of higher education? To look good, party just something to get you out of the house? Third, no one is going to question why a white person went to an HBCU. Actually the average HBCU is more diverse than traditional white colleges and universities so how does it reflect poorly on that white student? There wasn't anything real about those statements.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 AM

567 posts, read 890,046 times
Quote:
Aside from being a minority, what would make the environment difficult to put up with? After all, in many instances, black people are the minority all the time... and they seem to manage.
If you don't have a problem donning minority status and you have the funds to pay for it...nothing. Black college kids are the same as white college kids. Class is Class. If you don't make the grade you fail. If you do make it you pass. End of story.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:54 AM

257 posts, read 470,284 times
I would not go to an HBCU. I don't see any point in going when there are better schools in state that are cheaper.

Further, I don't understand the role of the HBCU in today's society anyway.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 AM

257 posts, read 470,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
What? That just makes no sense whatsoever. First you are basically saying that attending an HBCU is a hurdle toward success. Second, you state education isn't what college is about; then what exactly is the point of higher education? To look good, party just something to get you out of the house? Third, no one is going to question why a white person went to an HBCU. Actually the average HBCU is more diverse than traditional white colleges and universities so how does it reflect poorly on that white student? There wasn't anything real about those statements.
Agree that going to an HBCU is not a hurdle to success. Something like 95% of Morehouse grads have Fortune 500 offers at graduation I think. However, this won't benefit the white guy who attends the HBCU, because the companies come to hire in order to promote diversity.

Have to disagree on the diversity statement. HBCUs are far less diverse than typical universities. Mostly black /=/ diversity.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:01 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl4lyfe View Post
Nope. First, the colleges are in a seedy part of town.
Y'know, I kinda thought about that. I wonder if it would make a difference if the AUC really made a strong effort to invest in improving the surrounding community aesthetically, financially, and socially and made it more desirable to the general public. (Possibly using talent from the students).

After all, the colleges are bordered by Vine City, West End, Westview, Castleberry Hill, and the GA Dome. All these areas are prime for development... and who better to figurehead and anchor it than a hub of historical institutions of higher education?

After all, Grant Park was pretty seedy too until somebody did something about it... But then again, before Atlantic Station, the area around GA Tech wasn't necessarily the safest place in the city either... (Did that hurt enrollment? Plus, I'm sure many blacks gladly attended GA Tech then knowing they would be the clear minority...)

Last edited by equinox63; 07-14-2011 at 09:24 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
Quote:
Aside from being a minority, what would make the environment difficult to put up with? After all, in many instances, black people are the minority all the time... and they seem to manage.

For me, the most enfuriating thing about being associated with the HBCU I am assocaited with is the lack of character of so many of the students. Cheating is so rampant and accepted as the norm that it is part of the culture. In my experience, the administration I've dealt with is dominated by poor decision makers and non-leaders. The students are treated very poorly by the administrators. It is very difficult to get anything accomplished unless you have a relationship with the person who handles that one particulr job function. No one does their job becuase it is their job, they are doing their job out of a favor to you. The environment is also one where the HBCU is always looking to milk a little more money out of the students. There are always big budget issues and it never focuses on how they can cut costs and be more efficient, but what fee they can raise. (That might not be that different from state schools right now, but I am talking about a $35,000+ a year school). I used to hear great things of this school as it is regarded as one of the top HBCUs in the country and held vrey highly. After being associated with it, I can't hold back laughter when I here these comments. I am also tired of every guest speaker coming in and telling them about how the white man is trying to hold them back. Why invite these speakers?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
Agree that going to an HBCU is not a hurdle to success. Something like 95% of Morehouse grads have Fortune 500 offers at graduation I think. However, this won't benefit the white guy who attends the HBCU, because the companies come to hire in order to promote diversity.

Have to disagree on the diversity statement. HBCUs are far less diverse than typical universities. Mostly black /=/ diversity.
You do realize there are HBCU's almost 50-50 and a few that are majority white right? An HBCU like say Kentucky State is 60% black, 30% white.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
I would not go to an HBCU. I don't see any point in going when there are better schools in state that are cheaper.

Further, I don't understand the role of the HBCU in today's society anyway.
I think some white people read too much into this. All the title HBCU is doing is acknowledging the school's history as an institution established by black people often immediately after slavery and throughout America's history of racial segregation.

For example, if you walk the halls of of GA Tech or UGA, you'd see plaques and memorials dedicated to those who were known to be vehemently racist. Regardless, many students and alumni are very proud of their school's heritage and legacy even though throughout much of its history, there was not a black person in sight (unless they were janitors, etc). However, nobody sweats it anymore because black people can and do attend both schools. If that were not the case, people would probably more readily acknowledge their status as PWCUs (Predominately White Colleges or Universities).

White people are more than welcome to attend HBCUs, but it is because they generally don't that the HBCU title sticks. If CAU was 40% non-black, then (although it would still be an HBCU) it would probably not be a common term in describing the school...

Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
As an alum of Morehouse, I'd encourage any white brother to attend. The mission of Morehouse is to train young men for leadership positions. It is one of the top feeder schools for top tier graduate schools (ie. Wharton, Harvard Law, etc) and the curriculum is challenging on purpose. Just look at the school's alumni and the benefits will be clear.

Unfortunately, there is this notion that persists in society that someone who is white would be at a disadvantage attending a HBCU even if it is one as prestigious as Spelman or Morehouse. That is nothing more than a bunch of hooey. None of my brothers from the 'House who are white have had trouble in their professional life and they, like myself, have only benefited from being associated with such a fine institution. Recruiters know that it is a quality school and it builds quality men so it's worth a shot if one can hack it.

One more myth I would like to dispel is that a white student would feel out of place at Morehouse. There were several white students and they, at least as far as I can see, never felt the cold hand of discrimination or made to feel like they did not belong there. At the 'House, our creed is that we are all brothers. White, black, latino, asian it doesn't matter. Our mission is/was to carry on the legacy of great men like Benjamin Mays and Martin Luther King and to never accept mediocrity.

Oh, and, well just look at Josh Packwood who was valedictorian of the class of '08:

‪White valedictorian:A first for historically black Morehouse‬‏ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta