Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 PM

454 posts, read 821,050 times

Advertisements

Funny reading this as we are looking to move to NJ from Atlanta in the next year. Specifically for better schools, prettier towns and better job opportunites. When you compare the better parts of Atlanta (Buckhead, Vinings, Brookhaven etc) then a nice town in NJ such as Summitt or similar isn't any more expensive but wages are 30% higher and schools in a different league.

Guess we will all keep the realtors busy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 PM

249 posts, read 649,991 times
NJ is out of control with home prices and property taxes... there are nice towns in Jersey, but it will cost you a hefty price tag to live there. I guess it's all relative to what you can afford. We certainly can not afford a 600k home but in GA we can get something very nice in the mid 200's and taxes are a fraction of the cost. We will do private school, another thing we couldn't afford here in NJ.
Best of luck in your search and move and best of luck in NJ :-)

Old 07-28-2011, 09:01 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
Or people who have lived in cities that actually invest in their road infrastructure. Traffic was the biggest reason I left Atlanta. I really miss Alpharetta and Roswell but I sure as heck don't miss sitting in rush hour traffic on GA400 (or crawling down Hwy 9). I live in Ft Worth now and the difference in traffic is amazing. They have a ton of controlled-access highways that move North-South and East-West. I'm personally enjoying the extra half hour per day of my life I'm not spending in traffic (while living the same distance from my office).
Not necessarily. D.C. for instance invest a lot in infrastructure including both roads and public transit. But, and most people from D.C. will tell you this, they have worse traffic than Atlanta with very heavy traffic almost around the clock.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:06 PM

4 posts, read 5,853 times
I live in Dunwoody, its nice here as well.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:40 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
My drive is only 20 mins to work and ft worth isn't in the same league as Atlanta
Of course it is. Fort Worth is tied into Dallas, like Minneapolis-St Paul

Old 08-19-2011, 01:57 PM

49 posts, read 111,828 times
Wow, I could have written some of these posts myself. I am a native NYer, born and bred, and I love my hometown but it's just so darned expensive! Our income looks great on paper, but all it gets us is a tiny 2-bedroom apartment (rental) in a safe and pleasant area but with crappy public schools. And private school in NY costs more than college. So now that we have 2 kids (well, 1 1/2 -- no. 2 is on the way!), we're starting to think about where we can have a better quality of life -- and it's looking like Atlanta for us! (We're more interested in the Candler Park/Decatur area, but it will all depend on where we get jobs . . .)

Old 08-19-2011, 06:58 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilachu View Post
Wow, I could have written some of these posts myself. I am a native NYer, born and bred, and I love my hometown but it's just so darned expensive! Our income looks great on paper, but all it gets us is a tiny 2-bedroom apartment (rental) in a safe and pleasant area but with crappy public schools. And private school in NY costs more than college. So now that we have 2 kids (well, 1 1/2 -- no. 2 is on the way!), we're starting to think about where we can have a better quality of life -- and it's looking like Atlanta for us! (We're more interested in the Candler Park/Decatur area, but it will all depend on where we get jobs . . .)
We don't live in Decatur, but when we were looking for houses I was thinking this would be a great place for investment as with its own schools and police force and downtown area it would seem to be destined for taking off.

But when looking at how home values had done in the city of Decatur, it actually did worse than average from 2002 on. Not really sure why. But if you are going to be in a place for a while you just have to make sure it won't crash and don't worry about it taking off.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:10 AM

876 posts, read 2,277,703 times
Glad to hear you like it here, vkvidal. Good luck in finding a home!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:27 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,164 times
Glad you like it there, vkvidal! I felt the same way as you when I moved there in '01. Loved every minute of it. Lived there 6 yrs, and due to personal reasons, had to temporarily move back to the Midwest. I still miss it like crazy (I watch and listen to all the ATL news and music stations online pretty much daily!) We're making plans to prayerfully move back (for good) by 2013.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta