Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 01:37 PM

10 posts, read 21,217 times

Advertisements

We would like to put in a pool in the next year or so. We are former Chicagoans used to the big blue rectangular pools smack in the middle of the big flat yard used maybe three months out of the year. Here in Milton we see the undulating pools with rock walls, waterfalls, etc. that people don't drain or even cover. We have a backyard that goes somewhat uphill, so that may pose a bit of a challenge.

We have looked at neighbor's pools built by Dolphin and Atlas Pools. Also stopped by the Dejoyeax (sp?) that just opened a showroom in Roswell.

Anyone's advice with the good, the bad, and the ugly or pool ownership would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janna877 View Post
We would like to put in a pool in the next year or so. We are former Chicagoans used to the big blue rectangular pools smack in the middle of the big flat yard used maybe three months out of the year. Here in Milton we see the undulating pools with rock walls, waterfalls, etc. that people don't drain or even cover. We have a backyard that goes somewhat uphill, so that may pose a bit of a challenge.

We have looked at neighbor's pools built by Dolphin and Atlas Pools. Also stopped by the Dejoyeax (sp?) that just opened a showroom in Roswell.

Anyone's advice with the good, the bad, and the ugly or pool ownership would be appreciated.

Thanks
All I can tell you is that we filled ours in. The kids much preferred the community pool and I really tired of cleaning ours. They can be awfully pretty, though, and man folks certainly enjoy them. I've heard good things about Dolphin. I advise you to check with the better business bureau and select a contractor who has been in business for years. I've heard bad things about some of the fly-by-night contractors.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:35 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post

I advise you to check with the better business bureau and select a contractor who has been in business for years.

I think ABC's 20/20, or some other comparable network show, profiled the Better Business Bureau (BBB) within the past three or four years.

Up until this show aired, I had a very favorable impression of the BBB. I thought it was a reputable organization.

After watching the show, portraying the BBB in a very negative light, I now have a totally different impression of this organization.

Since this show aired, I don't know if the BBB has taken measures to address the many troubling problems and flaws. If they haven't addressed these problems and flaws, I would think their days are numbered.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:00 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,330 times
Quote:

Thanks

The topic of in-ground pools was recently discussed here in the Atlanta forum. I think it was early this year. I think?

The main focus of the thread seemed to center around the pluses and minuses of selling an Atlanta area home with a pool.

I think you will gain a lot of insight by referring to this past thread.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:19 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,819 times
Quote:

Thanks
Here goes...

The good:

They sure are pretty! Shows your neighbors that you can extend in good times AND bad....just like them. It's one of those things you can look out on an admire but, seldom use. Kind of like having your own little lake/cement pond out back complete with nice cool-deck walkway and furniture you can constantly clean.....does wonders to your hair, too.

The bad:

Liability. Whoa! Here's a problem. Come home one day and find your neighbors 3 year old Billy floating face down way longer than a kid should and your next words coming out of that hole in your face after the necessary expletives should be: "c'mon honey, hurry up and pack, we gotta get the heck out of here".....no matter how hard you try, no matter how much fence you put up, no matter how many lit and unlit signs you post, find a "floater" in your pool/cement pond and you are in for a world of hurt my friend. There's a lawyer on every corner, just like Chicago and they specialize in finding that 1/8 of an inch "inferior" font type on your signs that basically allows them to clean your house out faster than you ever cleaned that pool. Makes you wonder what happened to the floater named Billy?

No, in retrospect, better to get Bobby the BobCat operator over for a quick burial for the pool AND Billy than to mess with all that red tape only insurance companies and lawyers could love. Just plow it and Billy over and hope NO one in the neighborhood has dogs that like to dig too much.....don't forget to get a few bags of lime.....

No matter, what with the constant worry about leaks and winterizing and summerizing will make you want to backfill this bad boy in 3 years after opening day or, the day you find the Billy the floater, whichever comes first. The liability is just too high.....it's what lawyers like to call, "an attractive nuissance".....and you call ME cynical?

The Ugly:

Once Billy shows up, and they always do, the shame and disgrace will be unbearable. Not so much because it was "their kid" but, because so many of the suburb housewives have too much time on their hands. Sure, gas is up so they tend to fill their M-60 Patton tanks/Suburbans up more often but, it doesn't get them out of the house long enough to properly "dispose" of such problems. They just have too much time on their hands.

Besides, the neighbors are more adamant about finding "Billy, the floater" than a lost ****zu or maltese that sooner or later, they are gonna come around looking with Barney Fife in tow. Sure, you might pass it off as you "never liked that thing anyway" but, something about fresh turned earth and constant re-runs of CSI tends to keep people around asking questions. Nah. Just skip it. Use the community pool. If Billy ends up floating in that one you can join all the folks in the cul-de-sac with a candle later. Sure, there will be some questions but, you can act as dumb and innocent as the next so, no worries mate....you're covered.

That big obnoxious blue thing in Chicago might have been okay as it was only around for 3 months. No big deal. However, putting one of these pseudo Roman God-like monsters with water pissing out of some lion head SEEMS like a good idea now but, think of the consequences later. Stick to the clubhouse. Let Lenny and Squiggy take care of the darn thing and just make sure they keep enough chlorine around for the young kid's "accidents". You've seen Caddyshack, you know what I mean.....

Good luck and welcome to Atlanta!

Old 07-31-2011, 04:11 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,324,022 times
That's a ridiculous suggestion to NOT have a pool due to liability reasons...

Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,647 times
We have one and love it - if you get a saline pool and a polaris cleaner, maintenance is a breeze. I don't spend more than an hour a month working on the pool. Started using it early May and usually manage to go all the way to November.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:40 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Inground pools are not rare in Milton, even in neighborhoods that have a pool for residents. The lack of level yards is an issue when it comes to price though. A couple of my neighbors have spent between $65-100,000. to get the designs they wanted. A lot of terracing was required, as well as tree removal. Nonetheless, the pools are great (salt water seems to be the most popular), and they graciously share with the rest of us!

Old 07-31-2011, 06:11 PM

63 posts, read 250,907 times
Definitely recommend the salt water (automatic chlorine generator) option. The easy-to-use, slow dissolving chlorine tablets you buy at the store for pools has a stabilizer that builds up in the pool rather quickly, which prevents the chlorine from working. The only way to get rid of the stabilizer is to replace water, which is expensive. The alternative is to add a jug of bleach every day or two.

The pool has been driving me crazy with maintenance for three years. You can't trust pool stores as they exist to sell you chemicals.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:27 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,324,022 times
I am on the fence in regards to the salt water thing. One one hand, it's easier on your eyes when you open them underwater. On the other hand, I dont like the salty taste. It's not like the ocean, but you can taste it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta