Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 6,884 times

Advertisements

We're recent transplants to Georgia after being lifelong Florida residents. We've lived in Jones County outside of Macon for the past year, but have new job near Ball Ground so we're looking at both Cherokee and North Forsyth at this time. Looking for small town rural life, but with good schools and within 1/2 hour of civilization (i.e. Starbucks!). We prefer acreage to gated neighborhoods, and have no desire to live in a snotty area--scenery is very important, considering we lived in the flatlands of Florida. Any tips or input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:22 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
The commute from Cumming to Ball Ground would be about 35-40 minutes one way. Certainly Forsyth County is a top county for schools as well as growing retail and restaurant developments. However, you have to consider that commute.

Ball Ground is quite rural by metro Atlanta standards, and the nearest "city" would be Woodstock really for major shopping and retail (20 minutes or so down I-575). Cherokee County schools, in my opinion, are not the greatest, but they're not the worst either. It's a tough call. If schools are not a major issue, then Canton or even Holly Springs would be the best bet for you.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:29 AM

247 posts, read 1,290,438 times
The schools in Cherokee county are as good if not better than Forsyth. Ball Ground is nice, but Ball Ground Elem isn't the greatest, Macedonia is better. But there isn't anything to do there. Canton is beautiful but you will get smaller lots. Cumming is also very nice, again, with smaller lots. My suggestion is to just drive around and see what area you like best. Both Canton and Cumming are huge cities, Ball Ground is relatively small.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:44 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
The schools in Cherokee county are as good if not better than Forsyth.
Well, I have to admit, it was mainly Woodstock schools that I have heard about, and the news there isn't that great. But I don't know about Canton schools.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,884 times
Thanks for the input! We visited several weeks ago and circled around the area quite a bit. Definitely 400 is the worst of the traffic, especially vs. 575. Ultimately, I have to look at schools as the biggest factor as I have two young ones. My husband will be living up there for awhile before we all head up, so I hope he will be able to get a good feel for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta