Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:17 PM

29 posts, read 211,544 times

Advertisements

I am planning my move to Atlanta, and reading all the negative comments that people are writing is making me nervous. Are the summers THAT bad? I live in WI and the winter SUCKS!! I hate the snow, so I am all about the warmth. Does anyone have anything to say about the positive side of living in Atlanta??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 06:23 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,551 times
Sure they do, why don't you start here: Positive Perceptions Of Atlanta

Old 08-14-2007, 08:13 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz0012 View Post
Does anyone have anything to say about the positive side of living in Atlanta??
"It's not Detroit"

Old 08-14-2007, 09:13 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,291 times
Every place has at least some positives, Atlanta included. Its nowhere as bad as Detroit but that's not really the gripe people have. People who have been to/lived in "sophisticated" cities such as NY, SF, Montreal etc. are going to have a let-down in Atlanta. Those people and the ones from small towns who complain about the traffic and crime (which every major city has to some degree) are the ones who complain the most.

I'll say something positive - the Atlanta area is welcoming to any ethnicity, lifestyle, orientation, occupation, class, wage level, etc. How many metro areas can really offer all of these things? Not many.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:47 AM

314 posts, read 1,277,966 times
There is always some new building going up in town which is exciting. makes for good energy for the city.

you'll love the winters in Atlanta...

good economy, generally nice people, attractions are getting better (aquarium, new world of coke etc)...

Last edited by meadgrad; 08-15-2007 at 04:57 AM..

Old 08-15-2007, 06:25 AM

744 posts, read 2,482,977 times
If you happen to like beaches - in Atlanta your only about a five hour drive from Georgia beaches or Florida panhandle.
If you happen to like mountains - in Atlanta your only two to three hours drive
away to those .

Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 AM

61 posts, read 245,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
If you happen to like beaches - in Atlanta your only about a five hour drive from Georgia beaches or Florida panhandle.
If you happen to like mountains - in Atlanta your only two to three hours drive
away to those .
I agree....those things help me to tolerate it. In all honesty....my beef is that Atlanta was a nice city at one point but about 10 years ago it started to go down the tubes. I mean, can you find some areas that would be nice to live in? Yes, especially if you dont have to commute to a job very far away. In a nutshell though, Atlanta just has a lot of problems that will only get worse before they get better.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:33 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcabber View Post
I agree....those things help me to tolerate it. In all honesty....my beef is that Atlanta was a nice city at one point but about 10 years ago it started to go down the tubes. In a nutshell though, Atlanta just has a lot of problems that will only get worse before they get better.
Those would mirror my comments as well. The Olympics were supposed to highlight Atlanta as an "International City". Well, honestly, Atlanta still is not an international city - it's a LARGE city, and the Olympics put it on the map. It was already quickly growing from people in the SE region moving here, but the Olympics put it on the *world* map, so it increased the number of people from all over the world moving here after that. The thing is, just having residents from all over doesn't make a city "international" - the city's facilities, events, and leadership do.

We simply don't have that yet. Atlanta is still a "black vs white" metro area, with people from other nations and areas just scattered around for the heck of it. Lots of traffic, smog, and crime, but not a lot in the way of international festivals or events. Maybe one day, if the surrounding areas as well as the city get more forward-thinking leaders who will all work together.

Ok fine I'll list positives - I agree with the tree thing earlier. There are a lot of trees here compared to some other areas (like Dallas, Houston, etc). Winters are nice (though summers are hell), and the proximity to the North Georgia mountains is a plus, too.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:40 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,902,601 times
The heat is bearable as long as you have air conditioning. Traffic is pretty bad, so just live near to work or take Marta. Marta is a BIG plus if you live downtown or midtown and you wouldn't necessarily need a car to go shopping or go to the airport which is great.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:22 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
I've found that all the people who say bad things about Atlanta are either people who lived there their whole lives (and don't know any better), and young singles who think NYC/SF/DC/Boston are better cities for singles. Seriously, Atlanta might not be a good city to visit, but it's a great place to raise a family. I couldn't wait to move back North while I was in college, but now that I have a family of my own, I can't wait to move back to Atl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta