Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 PM

5 posts, read 11,520 times

Advertisements

My husband and i moved to Duluth back in December 2010. He is working in Tucker, GA and the commute on 85 in the morning is horrible! Plus Duluth, is not at town we enjoy living in. Our lease runs out in December this year (2011), and we need help on where would be a good idea to move?

We have recently been looking into the dunwoody area, Alpharetta (30022), and Johns Creek. (he would be taking peachtree industrial to get to work from alpharetta and johns creek).

What is commute like to Tucker, from these areas?
What is crime like in the areas? (We'd pay more money to be safe)

We do not have any children. But the thought of living in a good school district makes me think that the areas are better.

Would you recommend any other towns that we should look into?

Any advice would be great! We have 2 months to figure this out.

It can become quite a headache.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 01:35 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
If you live in Duluth, you should already know a lot about Johns Creek and Alpharetta since they are neighboring communities. I don't really think commuting down PIB is going to do your husband any favors since it may be SLIGHTLY better than I-85, but then he's going to have to deal with way more congested surfact streets to get over to Tucker, or he'll have to deal more with I-285. My general rule for Atlanta is the less you have to deal with 285, the better off you are!

Quick question, where in Duluth do you live? It sounds to me like you may live in the unincorporated part of Gwinnett county that simply has a Duluth mailing address. If you live in the city of Duluth proper, it's a much better experience than the area of Gwinnett sometimes referred to simply as Duluth. The city itself is quite small, but the area referred to as Duluth is very large. So it my be just a move to another part of Duluth that is in order.

I would also consider Suwanee. If I were your husband, I'd rather move a few exits up I-85 than move over and have to take 285.

I think Dunwoody would probably fit the bill just fine, so long as you can afford the prices there. I don't know too much about it, but my preference would be to stay on the Fulton side and not get into Dekalb.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 14,243 times
You DO NOT want to commute on PIB (reverse commute is OK). It is jam packed and has lots of traffic lights. I would opt for Dunwoody...pretty easy shot over to Tucker.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
The people in Dunwoody are too fake, smile in your face and talk about you when you leave. I leased an apartment there for over a year and the only thing I enjoyed was being close enough to walk to MARTA and work.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:27 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times
We live in Dunwoody and my husband works in Chamblee. The commute time is excellent as he only has to go down one exit on 285. Sometimes just to break the monotony he'll take Buford Highway, but he usually does 285 and unless there's a real problem he's home in 15 minutes flat.

From Dunwoody Tucker is only a couple of extra exits, and I do it quite often as my son plays soccer over there. Sometimes we have 5 pm practices and at other times it's at 6 pm. It's no walk in the park (and I'm a lousy driver), but it rarely takes me more than 25 minutes. I've never driven it during morning rush hour, but in the evening it's not too bad.

I've never rented an apartment around here and I can't really comment on that process. I know there are lots of developments with easy 285 access, but I've never tried the commute from there.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:59 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,839 times
Personally, without kids, I would rent in Dunwoody or near by with a commute like that to Tucker.

The surface streets to Tucker aren't that great either during rush hour unless you come in from inside 285 to Tucker.

I like Tucker OK, but you may not since you didn't suggest it as an option. I do think most of the apartments in Tucker are older, so that could a drawback for you. Some of Norcross is a bit more upscale than Tucker (Peachtree Corners area). You could try renting a condo somewhere if you prefer.

You could try City of Decatur or Avondale Estates for a reverse commute, but 285 in that area can get backed up as well. You could use surface streets and maybe have a reasonable commute.

What is the maximum commute time he wants to deal with one way?

Old 12-01-2011, 06:49 PM

13 posts, read 24,214 times
Peachtree Corners area is definitely the place to live!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,723 times
Several good places already listed in here - I'm in agreement with Tucker and Peachtree Corners. A little closer in can make a world of difference in a commute!

No areas of Tucker are appealing? Or towards the Lilburn area? Or even possibly parts of Decatur?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Might consider Decatur? They have the best school district and the town square is really nice. Low crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta