Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:25 PM

11 posts, read 15,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkinlyon View Post
Hey.... you've never been there. It's totally unfair to apply some anecdote from some other part of the city/state/world to the situation in Peoplestown. There are safety concerns everywhere in Atlanta. Everywhere is a "potentially unsafe part of town." Peoplestown is better than some and worse than some. Of course it might not be a good idea for a single woman (or anyone) to live in a house set in between to vacants. The problem with your advice is that it is no more applicable to Peoplestown than the advice of my good-ol-boy coworkers who think it is insane to live anywhere within 30 miles of downtown.
Dunkinlyon, that may be true...SAFETY is my main concern. It may be easier for you to live there alone, but not for me. I suffer from anxiety and a panic attack might just turn into a heart attack!! I don't want to take that chance. BTW, are you on Fern Ave? We could have been neighbors and looked out for each other, but I don't want to take the chance. I don't want to hurt anybody and I don't want anybody to hurt me!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
1) Peep hole.

2) Reinforcements on all door frames and locks / impact film on glass on back windows.

3) Security alarm system with cellular backup (in case phone wires are cut).

4) Camera on front and back with recording capability - you might be shocked just how much traffic is coming to your door/property when you aren't specifically watching for it or they don't literally knock on the front door.

5) Proper outdoor lighting at night (that you actually remember to leave "on").

I have to agree with the other comment that buying in transitional neighborhoods seems like a much better idea/investment than in reality it really is today in many cases. It works for some, and once your work is done and you're living there full time (and people realize it), and you take the needed safety precautions, you can still make a decent home of it... so long as you weren't planning on "flipping" the house for a nice profit anytime soon. I will disagree with one point, though - while large barking dogs might deter amateur kids, pros will either just kill the dog, turn it loose, or kidnap it. Alarms/cameras don't require vet bills or food.

The way you handled the particular situation you talked about seemed reasonable to scare someone away (this time it worked). I too, seriously doubt it was a kid just needing to use the phone. I just wouldn't stand right in FRONT of the door when you challenge them with a gun, though. If they have one too and your door isn't made of solid steel... well...
Ok! I really like the house on Martin St., but the door isn't made of STEEL!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:20 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Great to hear!

And here's something you can do, just for fun.

Five years from now, go and drive by the house you almost bought. I'll bet you $100 right now that the area is not significantly better. You would have lived in the 'hood for five years.

Everybody thinks "their neighborhood" is the next big thing. A few of them are right. Most are wrong. I'm betting agains this area.

Good Points, especially when you put it in perspective like that. But I wouldn't bet against Summerhill/Peoplestown, it may not be there now, but I really don't see it getting worse. It basically has turn the corner already because despite its problems, it is light years away from what it was back in the day. It's a dense neighborhood as far as Atlanta standards go, and when it was really bad there were always people outside everywhere. It looked like one of those ghetto areas up north with people posted everywhere, on the corners, sitting on the cars parked on the street, and on the stoops of the houses. That area isn't like that anymore. It has it's problems, but the days of when Georgia Ave looked like a scene out The Wire are long gone.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:54 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
How is Summerhill?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Good Points, especially when you put it in perspective like that. But I wouldn't bet against Summerhill/Peoplestown, it may not be there now, but I really don't see it getting worse. It basically has turn the corner already because despite its problems, it is light years away from what it was back in the day. It's a dense neighborhood as far as Atlanta standards go, and when it was really bad there were always people outside everywhere. It looked like one of those ghetto areas up north with people posted everywhere, on the corners, sitting on the cars parked on the street, and on the stoops of the houses. That area isn't like that anymore. It has it's problems, but the days of when Georgia Ave looked like a scene out The Wire are long gone.
OldschoolChevy....I did see people walking on Martin St. in fact one guy spoke to me. When I was in the house looking around, another guy was behind the father & son store peeping around the corner looking in my direction. So, I worry about that, because the house has been empty for 2 years! Grant Park division cuts off at Hill St....I googled the whole area and there are nice houses and raggely houses. The sattelite gps works fine and I can get a better view of the area, even if I'm not there. I just wonder what happened to the tent that lived in the house prior to now. We all are entitled to our own opinions, but let us not fret! I asked for insights of the area, because I was a potiental buyer of a house in the community. People are still hanging around, not during school hours, but afterwards. How do I know, because I went back into the neighorhood later that day. Moreoever, when I drove on Farrington Ave. it was sketchy with 3 guys hanging out by the store and 1 of them made comment as I approached....I'm driving a car with California license plates!! And when I made a right turn on Haygood Ave., it was the same all the way up to Hank Aaron Dr. People are still hanging out, mostly youngsters on the street and that bothers me. One young dude walked up to my car (i guesss he couldn't wait until I turned the corner) and I swear to God if he would have touched it, his azz would have gotten hit! California isn't kicking me out of the state, I'm moving by choice. I'm not going to spend my hard earned money moving to a state in an area that doesn't have regard to decent living only to leave my home and come back to it empty or find myself in battled with some thug.

Thanks for the insight guys!!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
I would say first and foremost, if you already have anxiety/nervousness type of issues, I dont mean that in a bad way at all just saying, then the last thing you should be doing is putting yourself into a type of area where there is already a lot to be nervous about for even the most brave fearless person. Considering almost any of the so-called 'urban pioneer' type of areas, there is going to be at least some 'nervousness', and amongst the areas in Atlanta like this, Peoplestown is definately one that is still one of the more hardcore areas to try to be an 'urban pioneer'.

We are by no means urban pioneers, nor do we want to be. It might be fun if we didn't have kids and schools to worry about, but we are fairly timid in the boundaries we are able to push. I would say at our current comfort level the 'nice' areas of Grant Park and Kirkwood are probably about as 'urban' as we are willing to push, and that is ONLY based on knowing that we can 1000% be guaranteed to get our kids into the charter school options there and NOT putting them into the public schools.

So that being said, take what I say however you want. My only experience with Peoplestown was about a week ago. We were looking at places in the south Ormewood/EAV area and on our way home we cut through the heart of Peoplestown. We took Boulevard SE-->Englewood Ave-->Hill St-->Farrington Ave-->Martin St-->Haygood St-->Hank Aaron...This was in the middle of the daytime. First there were about 1/2 dozen black teenagers in the middle of the street a couple on bikes, they didnt move until we were literally right up on them (bear in mind we were in a loud truck so I dont think it was because they didnt hear us), then they finally moved then one kid started riding next to us and out of nowhere turned his bike right in front of us and I had to literally hit the brakes and wait a minute for him to move. Then the next block up there was another small crowd in the road, they moved a little faster but then stopped in their tracks and glared at us the entire time. Then we finally got to the light to turn onto either Haygood or Hank Aaron and a bum came running up to the window.

I'm not saying we felt 'in danger', or its a sign that you will get carjacked and raped and murdered by the 'hoodlums' if you live/visit the neighborhood...I mean really if you think about it, a beater car full of black people driving through a wealthy hood in Alpharetta would probably get the same funny/disgusting looks from the lily rich white kids...But regardless it is what it is. That is just exactly the experience we had the one time going through there. Make what you will of it...But if you are already apprehensive, probably not a wise 'adventure' to undertake.

The reality is, a lot of suburban areas around Atlanta, you can get just as cheap or close to it, and be in what are relatively 'safe' areas and schools. Now my personal opinion, and a lot of people are saying this, the trend is reversing, the suburbs are becoming much more 'ghettotized' and going downhill much faster than 'inner-city' areas. But as of right now, you could easily find something very cheap minus the level of 'worry' and 'uncertaintity' in many burbs around ATL.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:37 AM

188 posts, read 297,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Now my personal opinion, and a lot of people are saying this, the trend is reversing, the suburbs are becoming much more 'ghettotized' and going downhill much faster than 'inner-city' areas. But as of right now, you could easily find something very cheap minus the level of 'worry' and 'uncertaintity' in many burbs around ATL.
Just curious, what suburbs do you think are going downhill?

Old 12-30-2011, 05:24 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
Just curious, what suburbs do you think are going downhill?
Not that i've done any real research or have any kind of a qualified opinion, but I would say some parts of Alpharetta, Roswell, Duluth, Lawrenceville, Marietta, starting to see signs of it in Cumming, Dawsonville...Although I guess you could argue some of those areas already had some small problems.

But I guess I would say more, you are seeing foreclosures, homes becoming much cheaper and more available, more people having tough times, which of course eventually leads to rise in crime, drug use, etc.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:01 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Not that i've done any real research or have any kind of a qualified opinion, but I would say some parts of Alpharetta, Roswell, Duluth, Lawrenceville, Marietta, starting to see signs of it in Cumming, Dawsonville...Although I guess you could argue some of those areas already had some small problems.

But I guess I would say more, you are seeing foreclosures, homes becoming much cheaper and more available, more people having tough times, which of course eventually leads to rise in crime, drug use, etc.
Interesting. I would say that the issues I've seen ... at least in our area of SE Cobb ... are mostly in the past. The folks who were vulnerable to being foreclosed on are already foreclosed on, construction of halted subdivisions is picking up, and we're even seeing some new commercial development. Foreclosures are so scattered around the area that you won't see pockets of cheaper housing. One or two houses here and there, but not enough to create an eyesore (or crime center) that wasn't already present.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:35 PM

6 posts, read 6,759 times
OP - curious if you are still living in Peoplestown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta