Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 10:23 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I'm not going to argue over technicalities. I already clarified that I wasn't referring to Gangsta Rap as a sub-genre. I refered to it as gangsta to avoid using "ghetto," with all the B.S. that entails.
Lil Scrappy's style is more accurately categorized as "crunk" which is more about club/party hits. That's where Atlanta's rap scene gained prominence in the first decade of this century (and to a certain extent still is) with artists like Lil Jon & the Eastside Boyz, Ying Yang Twins, and Soulja Boy.

Quote:
But I would argue that Gangsta Rap is actually more positive than ghetto hip hop. At least Dr. Dre had an underlying purpose (rebel against authority); Scrappy is just some dumba** bragging about how ghetto he is. Dr. Dre and the like glorify weed; Scrappy seems to be more interested in crack.
Interesting perspective. I was never, ever a fan of gangsta rap and the crunk stuff is only good for partying. No one really takes the lyrics seriously. It's not like we're talking about artists more known for their lyrics (like OutKast) when it comes to that subgenre.

Quote:
And he is talking about Atlanta as a whole, not the neighborhood where he's from (unless you consider Decatur, Bankhead, and South DeKalb to be the same neighborhood).
Point taken.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:43 AM

864 posts, read 1,123,854 times
Anyone thinking Atlanta doesn't have real gangsta rap needs to read up on those dudes/hip hop collective walking around with duck shirts on. Look and sounds like gangsta rap to me.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:03 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I would disagree. I'm referring to a lyrical style, not a genre. Atlanta was continuously rapped about in songs that had a definite criminal element in the lyrics. Take "F.I.L.A. (Forever I love Atlanta)" by Lil' Scrappy:

Quote:
I'm a Grady Baby ATL,
and all my life duh avis so crunk as hell
you dont' wanna step to close or go to far
cuz where i'm from shawdy nigg*s beat you down wit they cars.
Fila brought up from my head to my feet,
nigg*s on the block wit the rock they don't sleep.
Man, South dekalb mall be the crunkiest ****,
uh you can roll through bankhead and go to fall on a *****
i'm a giant ass playa i'll stomp on a hater
i'ma pop the **** off in zone 3, the decatur
we can go back down to where my grandma stay,
depending on the area you better watch what you say
and i 'on care if you over there lookin all crazy
when i get locked up man them broads wanna save me
this the home ass whoopin biscuit in and the j's on the street charge mo' than a penny A!
Knowing this crowd, I bet someone will chime in and say that this is a positive portrayal of Atlanta.
Failed............. Know why because lil scrappy's genre of music is call Crunk music. It's the rap version of heavy metal or punk music. Crunk music is known for satire anger.... the angry lyrics is to incite energy, pump up and bring out at marsh pit. Rappers in this genre will rap about how much tougher they are and technically how they say is more important then what they actually say notice how repetitive it is. Crunk music is consider a club type of rap music. Dude said "i'm a giant ass playa i'll stomp on a hater" and "cuz where i'm from shawdy nigg*s beat you down wit they cars." but your talking this seriously.

This is what happen when someone post something they don't know about. Everyone here's the song.

And to make so bad this was not even a popular song outside of Atlanta.

Lil Scrappy feat. Lil Jon - F.I.L.A. (Forever I Love Atlanta) - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Anyone thinking Atlanta doesn't have real gangsta rap needs to read up on those dudes/hip hop collective walking around with duck shirts on. Look and sounds like gangsta rap to me.
So dudes walking around is music now.

Also that because anything that has swearing in is gangsta rap to you and BBC.

Sad yall need to learn what's playing the dozens and Signifyin is.

Signifyin' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Dozens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-29-2011, 11:51 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
WOW...Really?....It really IS NOT a color thing but as someone who has been places/lived places, I can and will say this: The person whom made the comment you are referring to was correct. Snobby is snobby no matter the color/creed. And if you wanna call out "Wealthy Black Atlantians" for not knowing how to act then you can SURELY do the same for the others of different racial/ethnic backgrounds bothe here and abroad. Extreme shallowness has no prejudice cheif....
Being cultured enough to know what wines are appropriate for what activity doesn't make me shallow. People who would drink a wine just because a rapper told them to are the shallow ones.

This thread isn't about whites. As a black man, I was more directly in touch with what "we" were doing, while I was living in Atlanta. I am simply pointing out my disdain for the pretensiousness and lack of substance and true worldliness in Atlanta's younger affluent black community.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:08 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Being cultured enough to know what wines are appropriate for what activity doesn't make me shallow. People who would drink a wine just because a rapper told them to are the shallow ones.
A lot of wine aficionados would say the whole notion of what wine is "appropriate" for a given occasion is pretty artificial. As one who has been in the business and consumed many barrels of wine over the decades, I can tell you that the only "rules" for understanding good wine are:

(a) Ignore the price. It's a fallacy to believe that you need to spend a bunch of money to get a great wine. Real connoisseurs are always in search of bargains, and finding them is the mark of true expertise. Fortunately, there are thousands of fantastic wines at very reasonable prices.

(b) Don't worry about what's "right" -- the only test is what you like.

(c) Drink a lot of wine and make some notes so that you'll know what you like.

(d) Enjoy!

Old 11-29-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A lot of wine aficionados would say the whole notion of what wine is "appropriate" for a given occasion is pretty artificial. As one who has been in the business and consumed many barrels of wine over the decades, I can tell you that the only "rules" for understanding good wine are:

(a) Ignore the price. It's a fallacy to believe that you need to spend a bunch of money to get a great wine. Real connoisseurs are always in search of bargains, and finding them is the mark of true expertise. Fortunately, there are thousands of fantastic wines at very reasonable prices.

(b) Don't worry about what's "right" -- the only test is what you like.

(c) Drink a lot of wine and make some notes so that you'll know what you like.

(d) Enjoy!

The taste of moscato fits with desserts, but it's suddenly become popular to consume it with foods like lobster and steak; foods that it clashes with. I'll never understand how it became a party drink either.

If you're someone who simply has a genuine enjoyment for the taste of a certain wine, then by all means, drink away. I just have a problem with people who drink it and think they're doing something hip and classy.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times
Oh, is THAT why I've been seeing moscato everywhere? Should've known there was some rapper involved.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
I can't believe a bunch of black guys are on here arguing about the appropriatenss of what wines to drink, and Mad Dog 20/20 is nowhere in the conversation! LOL. Look how far we've come!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
There are some excellent muscats out there but many are poorly made and as sweet as soda pop. To me muscat is an acquired taste.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There are some excellent muscats out there but many are poorly made and as sweet as soda pop. To me muscat is an acquired taste.
They're mostly so low in alcohol that they hardly count as an alcoholic drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta