Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 06:07 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Hard-pressed?

Not really.
I am starting to think that you are only on here to cause conflict because most of your statements are asinine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 07:07 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
I am starting to think that you are only on here to cause conflict because most of your statements are asinine.
I'm not here to cause conflict. I'm here to provide a dose of reality.

I am an Atlanta-Area native. I have lived here for my entire 35 years. Most of my friends are Atlanta-area natives. According to research, there are over 2.5 million Atlanta area adults who are native to the area. That's nearly half the population. To act like we're a rare sight is vastly incorrect. How can nearly half the population be rare?

I will give you that there are some areas where Atlanta area natives aren't in high numbers, particularly newer developed areas of North Fulton County, such as John's Creek. That said, there are a lot of areas where you will find high percentages of Atlanta area natives. It depends on the area. Perhaps you live in an area with few transplants.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I'm not here to cause conflict. I'm here to provide a dose of reality.

I am an Atlanta-Area native. I have lived here for my entire 35 years. Most of my friends are Atlanta-area natives. According to research, there are over 2.5 million Atlanta area adults who are native to the area. That's nearly half the population. To act like we're a rare sight is vastly incorrect. How can nearly half the population be rare?

I will give you that there are some areas where Atlanta area natives aren't in high numbers, particularly newer developed areas of North Fulton County, such as John's Creek. That said, there are a lot of areas where you will find high percentages of Atlanta area natives. It depends on the area. Perhaps you live in an area with few transplants.
Could you provide a link or source to your research?

Old 12-11-2011, 10:14 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Could you provide a link or source to your research?
I rarely agree with SSF,but you dont need a source to know what he says makes sense.Im Georgia born and raised in the Atlanta area.I can tell you it was much rarer 10 years ago than today.If you meet a lot of 20 year old kids like I do on a regular basis,its not even close to "rare".You have to remember transients have been coming in mass here for over 30 years now.The kids of those transients are staying put.Kinda explains why no jobs here now.People moving in and people staying put makes for a strain on the job market.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:51 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
All posters have great points here. For a smoother transition for you and your kids, I'd say give Miami a try first. Being Cuban, Miami is a better bet for you and your family culturally. Less culture shock for you.

Once you get adjusted to life in Miami, and had enough of it, consider other cities such as Atlanta, Orlando etc. People leave South Florida for a reason. They want better for their families and themselves.

I have a few Cuban friends that gave Atlanta a try, but returned to where they call home. Mee-Ya-Mee. Miami is home to them. Buckhead didn't do it for them. It had to be Brickell or Coconut Grove. Atlanta doesn't seem to have that appeal to the Miami-loving crowd.

Good Luck!

By the way, where are you living now?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:38 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
I've lived in both metros. IMO the only city (arguably) that has seen a more diminished quality of life than Miami in the US over the last 50 years is Detroit. Miami Beach, Aventura, Coconut Grove and Coral Gables are nice. I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for the rest of it.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I rarely agree with SSF,but you dont need a source to know what he says makes sense.Im Georgia born and raised in the Atlanta area.I can tell you it was much rarer 10 years ago than today.If you meet a lot of 20 year old kids like I do on a regular basis,its not even close to "rare".You have to remember transients have been coming in mass here for over 30 years now.The kids of those transients are staying put.Kinda explains why no jobs here now.People moving in and people staying put makes for a strain on the job market.
Understood; however, he said he researched this so I want proof. I am not one that just takes someone's word. Prove me wrong and then I will back down.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 AM

177 posts, read 405,602 times
Quote:
Miami is beautiful; however, Miami cannot compare to the living standards of Atlanta. The cost of living in Atlanta is much less than Miami. Homes here cost less as well but are generally larger than Miami.

Atlanta has a diverse economy with many major companies headquartered here (Coca Cola, UPS, Home Depot, Delta Airlines, NCR, Newell Rubbermaid and many more). In addition, Atlanta has great universities and colleges (Emory, GA State, GA Tech, Kennesaw State, Perimeter College, etc).

Atlanta is a diverse area as well, but not as diverse as Miami, IMO. You will be hard pressed to find a native Atlantan in Atlanta. Most citizens of this great city are from New York City, New Jersey, Ohio, Chicago, Miami, Detroit, Los Angeles, New Orleans, South Korea, India, China, Africa, Brazil, Europe, Caribbean Islands and many more places around the globe.

We have a ton of great restaurants in the area. Also, there is a lot to do (Tour CNN center, GA Aquarium (The World's Largest), Coca Cola Museum, hiking and whitewater rafting in the mountains (GA, TN, NC), beaches are 4 hours away in Savannah, GA, parks, Stone Mountain, Six Flags (Amusement Park), White Waters (Water Park) and so much more.

We have better public transportation than Miami as well (trains and buses). In addition, the city just passed a $6 Billion tranportation bill that has to be approved by the citizens to improve traffic, public transportation, etc in the area.

80 percent of the country is within a 2 hour flight from the world's busiest airport (Hartsfield-Jackson Airport). The time it take you to drive from Miami to Atlanta, you could drive from Atlanta to Washington D.C.
Sorry to say transportation is far better in Lauderdale/Miami than Atlanta.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:17 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciDiva View Post
Sorry to say transportation is far better in Lauderdale/Miami than Atlanta.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:46 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,533,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

HAHAHAHA Yaaa right... Atlanta's goes north south east and west, and connectes with the airport, also atlanta's covers all of the inercity metro, Ummm miami just goes north and south.....and doesn't connect with the airport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta