Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times

Advertisements

I have noticed in this forum that a lot of people will try to be derogatory towards suburbanites by saying all they do is eat at Applebees.

Applebees has become synonymous with everything that people think is wrong with the suburbes.

That's why I think this line from the Wikipedia entry on Applebees is so hilarious. I hope the irony isn't lost on anyone:

The Applebee's chain was started by Bill and T. J. Palmer who opened their first restaurant, T.J. Applebee’s Rx for Edibles & Elixirs, in Decatur, Georgia, on January 1, 1980
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 11:32 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
haha nice!

My thing has always been two fold. There is some truth to it. The most visible easy to find restaurants are on the busiests roads and are chain restaurants.

However, I've also come to the realization there are tons of small indepdent restaurants. They are just places that aren't always where we are looking or as we drive by. They might not look as cool from the outside, but they are in strip malls, old town centers that are off the main thoroughfares, or in old buildings originally made for other purposes (ie fast food building).

Old 12-20-2011, 11:32 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Wasn't the first Applebee's somewhere on Memorial Drive?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Wasn't the first Applebee's somewhere on Memorial Drive?

Yep, I was right:

The History of Applebees

Old 12-20-2011, 11:36 PM

More--

Scroll down to "Location:"

http://applebees-founder.com/history1.htm

Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 PM

Here is the exact location of the first Applebee's here:

4705 Memorial Drive, Decatur, GA - Google Maps

It is the part of Memorial Drive that people typically think is "Stone Mountain" or "Clarkston."

Not to start anything, but that location was/is prime suburbia--especially in the 1970's and 1980's. The area was very "East Cobb-esque" and "Parkview+Brookwood Area-esque" during this time.

I haven't been there in a while, but I know this Applebee's was still up and running (and doing well) as late as the end of the 1990's--maybe even early 2000's. Is it still there and operating?

Last edited by aries4118; 12-20-2011 at 11:50 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:

It is the part of Memorial Drive that people typically think is "Stone Mountain" or "Clarkston."

Not to start anything, but that location was/is prime suburbia--especially in the 1970's and 1980's. The area was very "East Cobb-esque" and "Parkview+Brookwood Area-esque" during this time.

I haven't been there in a while, but I know this Applebee's was still up and running (and doing well) as late as the end of the 1990's--maybe even early 2000's. Is it still there and operating?

More...

The reason the "Stone Mountain/Clarkston-positioned" first Applebee's has a Decatur address is because it is barely located in the Decatur zip code of 30032.

The zip code 30032 (Decatur) mainly covers the Candler-McAfee, Belvedere Park, and Midway Park areas. A sliver of this zip code crosses I-285 on and along Memorial Drive--where the first Applebee's was/is located.

See here:
Zip Code Finder and Boundary Map. {key in "30032"}

Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 PM

Remember--The broad area known as "Decatur" (outside of the City of Decatur) is very suburban--especially to the east, southeast, and south.

The "Decatur" area to the north of the City of Decatur (the area around Shamrock Middle, Laurel Ridge Elementary, Medlock/North Decatur, etc.) is fairly suburban as well--even though it is considered prime intown real estate now.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,580 times
Quote:

Not start anything, but that location was/is prime suburbia--especially in the 1970's and 1980's. The area was very "East Cobb-esque" and "Parkview+Brookwood Area-esque" during this time.

I haven't been there in a while, but I know this Applebee's was still up and running (and doing well) as late as the late 1990's--maybe even early 2000's. Is it still there and operating?
If it's the one right outside 285 then it's still open, never been inside but it looks crowded whenever I have driven past it. And I didn't know that was the first Appelbee's, it makes sense now though because the one I have seen is kind of random where it is on Memorial compared to the other businesses that are around it. Just not really the type of area where you usually see an Applebee's.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
If it's the one right outside 285 then it's still open, never been inside but it looks crowded whenever I have driven past it. And I didn't know that was the first Appelbee's, it makes sense now though because the one I have seen is kind of random where it is on Memorial compared to the other businesses that are around it. Just not really the type of area where you usually see an Applebee's.
Well, until the mid-1990's, the area was definitely the type of area where you would see an Applebee's.

The development of Memorial Drive outside of I-285 was one of the corridors that became the blueprint for suburban Atlanta development--believe it or not.

The Stone Mountain/Redan Area is really a cousin of East Cobb. Their histories (which would require another thread) went different ways after the mid 1980's.

Hidden Hills (in Stone Mountain/Redan), for example, is the sister neighborhood of Indian Hills (in East Cobb).

Drive along some of the roads off of Memorial Drive (Rockbridge, Hambrick, South Indian Creek, Redan, Rowland, etc.)--it will often feel/look like you are in East Cobb, South Lilburn, North Snellville, Roswell, even Dunwoody, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta