Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:05 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
So we went from overbuilding of housing projects, single family homes, to an abundance of condos, so I guess now is the time for apartments. lol Either way...i guess it's better than nothing?

Too bad Novare designs some of the most bland high rises in the city. Almost everything they make looks like a concrete parking deck with glass.
Fixed. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 12:26 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
People complain about anything.
Right, I know, hey its a start to a new building boom...I'll take it anyway..........

Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM

165 posts, read 484,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Right, I know, hey its a start to a new building boom...I'll take it anyway..........
As if the previous building boom was great for Atlanta. Besides jobs(and i'll get on this later), it only attributed to the demise of the beautiful trees surrounding Atlanta, and littered the skyline with forgettable architecture. I don't have a problem with a building boom, but I hate that developers don't ever try to be creative or add a touch of uniqueness to their projects.

And as for jobs. Man i'm sick and tired of most Americans throwing common sense and logic out the window when jobs are created.

"Hey, lets build more nuclear plants...jobs will be created!" "Let's expand the interstate, jobs will be created!!" "I think a new Live, Work, Play can be here...Jobs will be created!!!"

I've said it before on some other post, but it wouldn't surprise me if people supported torching a city block or demolishing a 10 year old subdivision as long as jobs were created.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:56 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
As if the previous building boom was great for Atlanta. Besides jobs(and i'll get on this later), it only attributed to the demise of the beautiful trees surrounding Atlanta, and littered the skyline with forgettable architecture. I don't have a problem with a building boom, but I hate that developers don't ever try to be creative or add a touch of uniqueness to their projects.

And as for jobs. Man i'm sick and tired of most Americans throwing common sense and logic out the window when jobs are created.

"Hey, lets build more nuclear plants...jobs will be created!" "Let's expand the interstate, jobs will be created!!" "I think a new Live, Work, Play can be here...Jobs will be created!!!"

I've said it before on some other post, but it wouldn't surprise me if people supported torching a city block or demolishing a 10 year old subdivision as long as jobs were created.

HMMM, okay, well Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa or Happy Holidays, you know about being politically correct, even though am against it....

Old 12-22-2011, 01:12 PM

165 posts, read 484,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
HMMM, okay, well Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa or Happy Holidays, you know about being politically correct, even though am against it....
Your statement makes no sense, so I'll explain my side.

I was simply informing yourself and others on the downsides to past and probably future building booms in this city, and hoping to communicate the importance of doing things a better way this time around, that's all.

But to feed your self-described disdain for politically correctness... May Jesus Christ our lord bless you and yours this Christmas season.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:12 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I can't believe more people aren't upset about that parking deck. It looks pretty bad.

I think people are realizing that most people don't want to buy condos in midtown if they think they might get married and have kids some day. It's a great lifestyle, but very difficult to fit more than 2 people in a condo. Back when everybody thought they'd be able to sell when they outgrew their condo, it seemed attractive, but not so much anymore.

I wonder what the residents of midtown think about this. I think rentals are fine for that area, but a lot of people think that rentals bring a neighborhood down, which is why HOAs always have such tight restrictions on how many owners can rent out.

Like a lot of you, I wish Atlanta could get more than the standard Novare fare. But at least they generally make their buildings attractive from the outside.
Most of the reason for the rental restrictions in the Midtown condos is the 25% rental cap for conventional mortgages. 50% for FHA loans. You can't get those types of loans if it's above the cap.

If a building lifted rental restrictions, it would probably increase the value of units in the building, but would screw homeowners over in the long run. Normal owner/occupants who need a mortgage wouldn't be able to get one, and the only people who would be able to buy would be investors who plan to rent the units out. Those owners would have a lot less interest in building upkeep, reserves, and amenities, and a lot more interest in lower HOA fees. The building would probably suffer over the long run.

But no, we Midtowners are not at all anxious about having renters in our neighborhood. There are already thousands upon thousands of them, and the ones who will fill these buildings will be of the top-dollar variety. I think in the context of single family houses it matters a lot more whether there are a bunch of renters on the block or not, but I don't see how a rental building being near a condo building will have much effect if any.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
It doesn't look that bad. It looks like it will fit in with the more modern building with lots of glass/windows.

However, the most important thing... This is being built over a couple of asphalt parking lots!!

Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
It doesn't look that bad. It looks like it will fit in with the more modern building with lots of glass/windows.

However, the most important thing... This is being built over a couple of asphalt parking lots!!
Yeah, it doesn't look fantastic but it's not hideous or anything. Cities like Hong Kong have plenty of unremarkable buildings in their skylines. My bigger issue is the detached garage.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:58 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Yeah, it doesn't look fantastic but it's not hideous or anything. Cities like Hong Kong have plenty of unremarkable buildings in their skylines. My bigger issue is the detached garage.
I wonder what their reasons for that are...

Old 12-22-2011, 03:31 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I wonder what their reasons for that are...
It's cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: