Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I actually think it is quite the opposite.

One of the problems about discussing transportation plans is people instantly get interested in the lines they see drawn on the map, but don't always know the details of the current/potential conditions of those lines. They can often be quite vast.

There is actually alot going for that line that makes it relatively easier and cheaper to set into motion and figure out how to make it work.

The details I would look into:
-The intown portion of the corridor is double-(mainline) tracked (shared between CSX and NS). The capacity is already greater than the two single tracks that split from this.
-The part further out of actually NS secondary track to Macon (not their main run). Therefore it isn't as much potential for freight interruption. (NS has two separate alignments between Atlanta and Macon. One is a higher speed, heavily traveled mainline and the other is a lower speed less traveled secondary track)
-The state plan is to get that track running to a faster/larger capacity for passenger rail (but this also creates extra capacity for freight)
-It is the first part of an Atlanta to Macon line. If the state ever has state-wide passenger rail, this is actually a critical link most people in central and south Georgia have to travel to to Atlanta (and it's airport)

Personally, I'd love to see commuter rail in Gwinnett on the NS or CSX corridor. There are more people along the route, there is more growth over longer distances and bad traffic getting to Atlanta's core.

However, They are also busy mainlines with no other secondary tracks. There is more potential for freight disruption and needing more new infrastructure built. This will also make negotiations with CSX and NS much dicier. I'm not saying it can't be done... it can, but there is more to overcome or mess up.
Great info. With limited knowledge of the situation, I saw it as a set up to fail scenario due to such a large stretch of the line has realtively low density compared to the northside. I live in the middle of nowhere in south Fayette, and this line will be fairly close to me. Between Jonesboro and Griffin, the only stops i see are Lovejoy and Hampton. But, with all the above factors, maybe it is the best option.

I just hope that the relatively low ridership of this line will not be used as fodder against further expansion of commuter rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta