Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times

Advertisements

The pride is just in graduating. But GT doesn't try to kick you out anymore. When I was in EE, there were two classes you had to pass and could only flunk one of them once. If you flunked again, you were kicked out of the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Remain in the 35 range of what? You're citing numbers that aren't even part if this discussion. And you imply Tech grads are "proud" it takes them 6 years to graduate. Really?
Have you even read the entire thread? It was pointed out that GT was the #7 public university and #36 national university according to the 2nd post in the thread. How is being the 36th national university not relevant to this discussion?

Graduating (or "gettting out" as those associated with GT refer to it as) means something. It used to be that only 60% of those entering the school would graduate. Only the cream of the crop would survive and the diploma meant more because of it. Surviving that attrition is something to be proud of. Many very smart people never made it through GT. That is a gauntlet that many schools don't put their students through.

The running joke out there is "What is the hardest part about Duke (or insert other school here)?"
Getting in.

Most schools don't actively seek to thin out the student population like GT used to do.

Quote:
You're still completely overlooking the point that GT IS THE 7Th BEST PUBLIC UNIVERSITY IN THE NATUON according to US NEWS .... and UGA TIED FOR 23rd! Those are rankings worth celebrating. Why are you confusing the issue?
I think I'm perhaps the biggest cheerleader for GT and what it does for the state on this board. Who isn't celebrating GT and it's academic excellence? Confusing the issue? Is discussing two sets of related numbers too complicated for you? Sorry to confuse you.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
But I can't think of a single great accomplishment, discovery, or innovation, that Georgia Tech has produced.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
^^^ if you were paying attention you'd notice that I STARTED this thread ... If you want to discuss Tech's rankings among ALL universities, fine. But the OP was about PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES! And the fact Georgia's two flagships are both on the TOP 25, which again just isn't enough and you've chosen to ignore. Typical of Techies to only see the glass half full I guess?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
^^^ if you were paying attention you'd notice that I STARTED this thread ... If you want to discuss Tech's rankings among ALL universities, fine. But the OP was about PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES! And the fact Georgia's two flagships are both on the TOP 25, which again just isn't enough and you've chosen to ignore. Typical of Techies to only see the glass half full I guess?
This would be a pretty boring conversation if you couldn't expand on the original post. What would we discuss on here? Congratulations on Ownership of the Thread?

Personally, I think it is great that there are 2 good public universities instate. The state should be very proud of that and give them the support they need to educate the state. Heck, if I were GT, I would be lobbying to get new schools and majors added to capitalize on the school's great reputation and urban location to better meet the state's needs.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Personally, I think it is great that there are 2 good public universities instate. The state should be very proud of that and give them the support they need to educate the state.
Thank you for finally acknowledging my point.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Thank you for finally acknowledging my point.
Your welcome boy.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:28 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Heck, if I were GT, I would be lobbying to get new schools and majors added to capitalize on the school's great reputation and urban location to better meet the state's needs.
Yes!

GT '98

Old 02-14-2012, 11:35 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But GT doesn't try to kick you out anymore.
I'm curious when they stopped this.

I had my hardest classes in 04-06 (graduated in 08) and there were definitely some classes I had that were widely regarded as weed out classes, these were classes where substantial percentages of the students failed.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I'm curious when they stopped this.

I had my hardest classes in 04-06 (graduated in 08) and there were definitely some classes I had that were widely regarded as weed out classes, these were classes where substantial percentages of the students failed.
Well they don't tie your hands together and throw you in a pool anymore. (Yes, that was a mandatory "drownproofing" class).

I got out in 2005 and things were still plenty difficult. Attrition rates have been steadily falling for the past 10 years. Is the school easier or are the students smarter? I think arguments can be made for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta