Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 7,890 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our 2 kids (ages 8 & 12) are relocating from Connecticut to Atlanta in June. My husband will be working in Norcross and I will be working mostly at home but will have to make a trip a day or 2 to my company's office downtown (peachtree). Coming from one of the best public school systems in the country, naturally I am quite concerned where to live that would afford the children a quality education. I need advice as to where we should live taking into consideration the following:

-Work locations - Norcross (husband) and downtown atlanta (me)
-Excellent school system
-Reasonable commute (45 mins - 1 hr including allowances for traffic)
-Affordability (no more than $500, 000 - 4 bedrooms minimum, under 20 yrs old and with a minimum of 3300 sq. ft)
-Away from bad /crime neighborhoods
I have been researching a lot and discovered that there are quite a few desirable areas: Alpharetta, Suwanne, Rosewell, Johns Creek. However, I want to be located in an area that is convenient for my husband and I to get to work. Also, if we ever loose our jobs, we want to be in an area that is centrally located to where all the jobs/companies are located.

Fel free to comment on those areas and/or provide suggestions of other areas that we should consider. I know I have mentioned a lot but I want to give as clear as possible the picture. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 02:44 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
With $500,000 to spend, I really don't see why you would consider anything other than Johns Creek.

It's an easy hop onto 141 to get down to Norcross. Downtown, a bit more of a challenge, but if you want the best schools, that's where you go. The main reason people don't go there is because they can't afford it, but you don't have that problem.

Conversely, you could check out Buckhead, Brookhaven, and Sandy Springs. You'll get less house, but $500k should still get you plenty. Your husband will have a bit more of a commute (still not bad, though), but it would be a good compromise as your commute would be much less.

The only issue is most people in these areas send their kids to private school, at least for high school. If your kids are young, look in Buckhead in the Sarah Smith Elementary school district. Send them to private or move before they get to Sutton Middle, though.

Certain parts of Alpharetta and Roswell may suit you as well. They are both fine, but if you want the absolute best school system, you should concentrate on Johns Creek. Perhaps East Cobb is comparable, but your husband will hate you for making him commute from there to Norcross.

With your budget and only needing proximity to Norcross, you are going to have plenty of excellent choices.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:15 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
I second that: Johns Creek sounds like a good choice for you and your family. For the price range you mention, you have many options. I think renting is always a good idea before buying in a new area as you learn more about Atlanta after being here. Good luck on your move.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM

207 posts, read 322,060 times
Check out Peachtree Corners as well (30092 zip code).

Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
What part of Connecticut are you moving from?

Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 PM

126 posts, read 231,860 times
If you want to live in the Brookhaven/Chamblee Area, Chamblee is an excellent public school choice if you wish to live in Dekalb County.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Milton shares a lot of the beauty of CT. The schools in John's Creek are not measurably better than those in Milton, East Cobb, or Alpharetta. They do attract more Asian students, which may account for a slight blip.

Parts of John's Creek are a real bear to get out of, as the city seems to be constantly under construction.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:17 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayateWind View Post
If you want to live in the Brookhaven/Chamblee Area, Chamblee is an excellent public school choice if you wish to live in Dekalb County.
Only if child is in magnet program, which has some requirements but is by lottery admission. I wouldn't buy a home in DeKalb right now. School system is shaky and no sign of rapid improvement.

I know that many Northeastern school districts are very small and relatively homogeneous, especially from an income level perspective.

GA has very large school systems, mostly county based, and GA spends less per pupil than top Northeastern school districts and I think it shows.
I suspect the schools in the N. Fulton (Milton, Johns Creek, Alpharetta etc) area would best match what you are use too and afford you a decent commute. (East Cobb would be good as well, but makes no sense since your husband works in Norcross.)

Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Yes, Milton would be fine as well....I left that one out, becuase I still regard it as part of Alpharetta.

It's true, Johns Creek has the best high school in Georgia (according to one metric, but you could argue the list), but Alpharetta and Milton are home to schools at the top of the list as well. Whether your children go to the best public school in Georgia or the fourth best or the seventh best is probably negligible. Just figure out which suits you best and which schools suit them best.

Johns Creek, however, is going to be the most convenient area to Norcross for you. If you're in Alpharetta, you have to go through Johns Creek to get there. Though Alpharetta has a better artery to downtown.

If you're not happy with the houses or neighborhoods in North Fulton, you can also check out the Suwanee community in Gwinnett. Peachtree Ridge and North Gwinnettt are both highly rated public schools. You will likely get more for your money in this area, but also fewer amenities that appeal to the higher end (nothing wrong with this community, it does have affluence, just not as much as North Fulton).

Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 AM

4 posts, read 7,890 times
Thanks to all for your advice. Johns Creek seems to be the best option. I will certainly look more closely into that area in addition to the other suggestions (including Milton). I am planning to make a trip next month. Never looked at Milton but a Connecticut feel would be nice. We had initially chosen Wilton, Connecticut where we presently live because of the England countryside feel so I'll definitely look into it. The advice given here is really appreciated. I think I have to get a map of the ATL area so I can see where some of the areas mentioned as suggestions are located. One other question - Why are people sending their kids to private school when they live in a good school district? I looked into private school and was shocked at the annual fee of 17K. Quite frankly, I am saving for the kids college and my retirement and don't quite understand why people are sending their kids to private school if the quality of education is that good. I guess I'd have to do some more research to evaluate the education compared to Connecticut. Something seems wrong unless these people are wealthy and money is not an obect. Help me understand please. This raises a concern for me. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta