Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:37 AM

444 posts, read 704,537 times

Advertisements

How come I'm just reading the February issue of Atlanta Intown magazine...? Downtown Atlanta's rising popularity has been discussed here for sometime. I would like to see what you guys think about this.

Quote:
Downtown… where all the lights are bright! Yes, this month we update all the projects happening in the heart of the city, including the streetcar project, new transportation center, the future of the Civic Center, a new playground for Woodruff park and more.
February 2012, Atlanta INtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 08:51 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,082,242 times
Don't want to veer off topic, but since we are discussing downtown, last night I noticed that condos in the Healy building are DIRT CHEAP. I know about Healy, Metropolitan, Museum Tower, and Twelve Centennial Park. Can anyone provide a list of the other condo buildings in the downtown area?

Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,963,936 times
I remember looking at several units in the Healey building as well as the Rhodes-Haverty building back when they converted to apartments in the late 90s I think? Maybe not? Anyway, yeah those conversions of older (even historic) downtown office buildings into residential uses struck me as amazingly cheap back then, relatively speaking, especially compared to Midtown and Buckhead. Problem was -- NO PARKING! Or if there was it was couple hundred dollars more a month in an aging garage 4 blocks away! Doubt that has changed ....

Old 02-18-2012, 10:21 AM

112 posts, read 171,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Don't want to veer off topic, but since we are discussing downtown, last night I noticed that condos in the Healy building are DIRT CHEAP. I know about Healy, Metropolitan, Museum Tower, and Twelve Centennial Park. Can anyone provide a list of the other condo buildings in the downtown area?
Gordan Lofts, Kessler CityLofts, SoMar Lofts, Centennnial Park West, W Downtown, Peachtree Tower, Landmark Tower, Centennial Place, 90 Fairlie, 123 Luckie, and Renaissance Walk. Then there is Muses lofts which are rental. I have not listed the lofts and condos in Castleberry Hill or on the Marietta Street corridor.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:04 PM

166 posts, read 326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
How come I'm just reading the February issue of Atlanta Intown magazine...? Downtown Atlanta's rising popularity has been discussed here for sometime. I would like to see what you guys think about this.

February 2012, Atlanta INtown
It's a cool issue -- I especially like my fellow-downtowner Kyle Kessler's article on great things about living here:
Keep It INtown: Downtown Atlanta | Atlanta INtown Paper

In reference to the other post on the Healey Building condos being cheap: the low prices are because the few on the market now are all bank-owned (from what I can tell anyway -- if anyone knows different correct me, please).

It's a sad situation for the original purchasers. In 2001, when the Healey condo conversion happened, it was the middle of the Atlanta intown housing bubble and the units were terribly overpriced. The current foreclosure prices are much more along the lines of the true market value of the condos, in my opinion anyway. So it's a bum deal for the original buyers but a good opportunity for new ones who don't mind going through the whole foreclosure-purchase process.

It seems like a similar situation is happening with a couple of other downtown buildings that had overpriced units in the bubble. I'm no real estate expert but my guess is that it's a good opportunity to buy a condo downtown now.

Last edited by ATL Urbanist; 02-18-2012 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 05:51 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,419,153 times
A playground in Woodruff Park??? Do the homeless folks need someplace to exercise or something???

Old 02-18-2012, 06:27 PM

747 posts, read 1,546,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
A playground in Woodruff Park??? Do the homeless folks need someplace to exercise or something???
Actually there is legit exercise equipment in the southern end of Woodruff. I can't find a good pic of it, though. The only people I've seen use it are those who I assume are homeless, but hey there's worse things they could be doing.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,082,242 times
I've got to agree that downtown is still a bit grimey, which is I assume what you were alluding to with the homeless in Woodruff Park.

I always just fantasize about a pied-Ă -terre and I work downtown.

If I ever decided to do it, I'd probably scrape up the extra cash and go for midtown. But I'm always on the lookout for an extra hot deal.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 PM

166 posts, read 326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
It's not a regular playground. It's a piece of playable art, the development of which was part of a design competition. It's a pretty cool project. You can see a picture of the winning design here:
A Unique “Playable Piece Of Art” To Be Built In Atlanta’s Woodruff Park

It's not a big draw for families, but kids can be found running around in Woodruff Park on the weekend regularly (in good weather, anyway). Mine is one of them.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:28 PM

725 posts, read 1,281,006 times
I think downtown near woodruff parks has the most character in the city. The "griminess" college students, businessmen, residents and historic buildings all come together around the area. Midtown is nice but lacks the new York style urban character. But that's what makes midtown midtown and downtown downtown. Both have character I just prefer downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta