Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:29 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times

Advertisements

All that talk about things starting to inch back up? Seems to have been wrong.

Home prices hit lowest point in more than 10 years - Feb. 22, 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 04:33 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,048 times
I think that the overall U.S. economy may be better in Jan 2012, than in Jan 2011.

But certainly not home prices, especially in the hardest hit metros.

I recently realized your could do this in zillow:
Real Estate Market Reports - Zillow Local Info
You can click on a metro and look at info on each region in that metro.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:53 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Read the article today in the WSJ about the pending tax on Dividend income. Follow it thoroughly. If the President gets his way, it will get worse before it gets better....painful lesson why you don't want to fool with dividend income....least of all at this point in our already weakened economy.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 PM

Zillow's graphs are horrible because they have no legends.

I'm not sure what Y-O-Y means (I assume it's year on year), but if you look at the column, Atlanta metro has the worst decline in the entire list. And the list is long.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Zillow's graphs are horrible because they have no legends.

I'm not sure what Y-O-Y means (I assume it's year on year), but if you look at the column, Atlanta metro has the worst decline in the entire list. And the list is long.
They do have legends above the graph. Anyway I dont look at the graph too much.

Yes -- year over year. And quarter/month.

Click on the metro, and you can see the regions in that metro.

(Edit: You can also use some other options - by choosing the radiobuttons on the top left - such as sale price etc. rather than the Zillow Home Value Index.)

Last edited by FromGA; 02-22-2012 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Added some info

Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 PM

714 posts, read 814,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Read the article today in the WSJ about the pending tax on Dividend income. Follow it thoroughly. If the President gets his way, it will get worse before it gets better....painful lesson why you don't want to fool with dividend income....least of all at this point in our already weakened economy.
It's a little premature to base investing strategy now on as yet passed (and may never be) legislation,you think?

Lots of people own dividend stocks in 401ks, iras, where taxes don't matter. Regardless, getting "paid to wait" ain't such a bad thing.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Lots of people own dividend stocks in 401ks, iras, where taxes don't matter.
Just becaue they don't matter yet doesn't mean that they don't matter at all.

Some day when you retire and start drawing on your 401(k) and/or IRA, you'll see just how important tax law on investments can be.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 PM

258 posts, read 534,629 times
Quote:

yo, if u can keep it this way for 1 more year, i'll be good.......

Old 02-23-2012, 03:36 AM

714 posts, read 814,092 times
Quote:
Just becaue they don't matter yet doesn't mean that they don't matter at all.

Some day when you retire and start drawing on your 401(k) and/or IRA, you'll see just how important tax law on investments can be.
I didnt say tax law was unimportant, did I?

Money coming out of qualified or tax deferred accts comes out at regular income rates.

What I said was, it's not tax law yet, so I wouldn't make decisions based on what may or may not occur.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:

*sigh* we really want to move into a larger house instead of our modest townhome, since we have a baby on the way. Plenty of savings, good income, etc. Sad to see so many great houses in great areas that we could easily afford. I wish we had gotten out when our houses were more than double the value they are now just three-four years ago).

Yet, we (along with many, many other people) are stuck with a way underwater mortgage. We can't refinance because the value is so low. As far as I can tell, 30318 was one of the harder hit zip codes in town. Without nearly draining our savings, we couldn't get out of this one. And that would leave us with nothing to purchase the next one. By the time this one goes back up to where we can get out, the other houses will most likely be out of our reach. I'm afraid we're stuck here.

Such a crappy situation for so many out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta