Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:04 PM

110 posts, read 246,077 times

Advertisements

Since the other thread about this was closed, here's an update with a potential twist on the story of the young gay dude who was assaulted in Pittsburgh. I guess the entire truth will come out eventually.

Members of Atlanta's gay community: Brandon White lied - CBS Atlanta 46

ATLANTA (CBS ATLANTA) -
Members of Change Atlanta, a gay rights organization, have Tough Questions for Brandon White.
White is the 20-year old Atlanta man who was beaten by three men outside a neighborhood store in Atlanta's Pittsburgh community on Feb. 4. While the men were beating White, they yelled gay slurs at him.

Devin Ward was among the first in the community to speak out against the beating. Ward said he supported White when he first saw the beating video on TV. He thought the three men beat White because he is gay. But Ward said now he doesn't believe that's the case.
"If indeed this is shown to be truthful in that Brandon did have prior interaction with these young men, Brandon needs to come forward and make his wrong wright," Ward said.

Terik Jackson is also with Change Atlanta.

"In the beginning we thought this was a random attack because Brandon was gay, because of his sexual orientation. The video did depict that there were some slurs that were used," Jackson said.

When White spoke publicly for the first time after the beating, he told reporters he did not know his attackers.

"I have never seen those guys before. I go to that store plenty times. I don't bother anybody I don't talk to anybody. No, I have never seen those guys before," White said.

Several days after the attack, police arrested Dorian Moragne, Christopher Cain and Dareal Williams.
Gary Nichols said he and several other members of the community searched for White's attackers before they were arrested.
NIchols said when they interviewed witnesses and those in the Pittsburgh community who know White and his alleged attackers, he found out new details about White's prior relationship with some of his attackers.

"I would tell the Atlanta community we were duped. We were all duped and it's a shame. It's a bitter shame," Nichols said.

Nichols said the attack was not a hate crime. The motivation was revenge.

"Brandon was agitating these young men about personally exposing them for being DL gay - on the down low possibly gay. The young men responded because they don't want their families to know," Nichols said.

Jackson said he spoke directly with one of the suspects, Dorian Moragne, who also confirmed that they knew White.

"He was very clear about being sure that Brandon White in fact knew the other attackers in question," Jackson said.

Jackson and Nichols said the attack was centered around a video that's supposed to be on White's phone. The video of the attack shows one of the men grab White's phone.

"It's a video of somebody performing a sexual act with one or a few of these young men," Nichols said.

"That's why the cell phone was a target. They didn't just beat him up because he was gay," Jackson said.

Atlanta Police is still investigating the beating. A spokesman said whether or not White knew his attackers will not affect their case. A crime was still committed. The FBI is investigating as to whether or not a hate crime was committed.
"It's very important that we know the truth and the community deserves to know the truth," Jackson said.
CBS Atlanta tried to contact White through his attorney, but she did not return our call.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times
so it's not a hate crime b/c it's gay on gay crime? LOL, I knew it! It's only a hate crime if White people are involved

Old 02-24-2012, 04:09 PM

538 posts, read 926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
so it's not a hate crime b/c it's gay on gay crime? LOL, I knew it! It's only a hate crime if White people are involved
Ain't that the truth.......I wonder if the FBI will get involved if I get beat up...LOL

Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 PM

110 posts, read 246,077 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Ain't that the truth.......I wonder if the FBI will get involved if I get beat up...LOL
WTF? And how do your comments even fit into this story? Poor little persecuted white men. And that's all the reaction you're getting from me.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:29 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlyoungin View Post
WTF? And how do your comments even fit into this story? Poor little persecuted white men. And that's all the reaction you're getting from me.
They dont...at all. Just their usual trolling.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlyoungin View Post
Don't you find it amusing that almost all of the "hate crime" prosecutions and hysteria revolve around "people of color" and gays. For instance....when groups of black "youts" at the Wisconsin State Fair start "wilding" and beating only white folks....while by-passing black folks, its not a "hate crime"......and now that this is a "gay on gay" case in Atlanta all the hysteria goes away. Its just amusing....that's all. By the way...are there any "love crimes"? Why don't we just prosecute all crimes in the same way.....an assualt is an assault isn't it?

Police Say Incidents at Wisc State Fair Will Not Be Prosecuted as ‘Hate Crimes’ | TheBlaze.com

Old 02-24-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
They dont...at all. Just their usual trolling.

And you, as usual, not adding anything to the discussion.......

Old 02-24-2012, 07:35 PM

183 posts, read 196,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Don't you find it amusing that almost all of the "hate crime" prosecutions and hysteria revolve around "people of color" and gays. For instance....when groups of black "youts" at the Wisconsin State Fair start "wilding" and beating only white folks....while by-passing black folks, its not a "hate crime"......and now that this is a "gay on gay" case in Atlanta all the hysteria goes away. Its just amusing....that's all. By the way...are there any "love crimes"? Why don't we just prosecute all crimes in the same way.....an assualt is an assault isn't it?

Police Say Incidents at Wisc State Fair Will Not Be Prosecuted as ‘Hate Crimes’ | TheBlaze.com
How is a gay guy attacking and using anti gay slurs to a gay guy a hate crime?

As far as young black people attacking whites, how is that a hate crime if no indication of racial targeting was used? Did they call them racial names? Did they indicate they hated white people? I know you won't answer though.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 PM

183 posts, read 196,814 times
Quote:
How is it a hate crime if a gay attacks and uses anti gay slurs to another gay?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,403,320 times
Default Sounds about right to me!

This makes far more sense than the random targeting of a 'gay' man here in Atlanta of all places. As much as people tend to complain about tolerance issues around metro Atlanta, there's an intricate cultural balancing act of sorts which takes place here, and incidents of this nature are anything but commonplace.

Brandon likely started flappin' his chops and or sharing excerpts of his coveted conquest (simply couldn't resist I'd imagine), then when things starting leaking, the scorned and embarrassed suspect initiated damage control my bashing him in front of traffic while seizing the evidence!

This also explains why the victim was so apprehensive about coming forward to report the incident to the proper authorities. The viscous attack was horrible to witness, but the unedited version makes perfect sense and sounds about right to me!

Now that's how it all went down according to Aficionado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta