Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:33 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,282,592 times

Advertisements

Is economic importance everything? It is one necessary condition to evaluate importance, but it isn't sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 07:37 PM

16,720 posts, read 29,581,418 times
To all--

Regional/national prowess and dominance.

New York City: Northeast
Los Angeles: West
Chicago: Midwest
Washington: National
Atlanta: South

6. Miami: Florida (not North Florida)+Caribbean
7. Dallas/Houston: Texas+Southwest

8./9./10. San Francisco/Boston/Dallas or Houston

Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,144,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
To all--

Regional/national prowess and dominance.

New York City: Northeast
Los Angeles: West
Chicago: Midwest
Washington: National
Atlanta: South
This list seems reasonable. Atlanta sort of dominates by default. Atlanta is not of those cities' stature but Atlanta is a de facto capital of the South.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:58 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,323,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Is economic importance everything? It is one necessary condition to evaluate importance, but it isn't sufficient.
Sooner or later it comes down to economic criteria.

Unfortunately, money is the only impartial way to show your respect for something. Otherwise, a barter system would have taken hold during the US economic slowdown (I think there were articles saying that this was getting in vogue), but it did not. Same with home swaps etc. which I dont think took hold.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:14 PM

16,720 posts, read 29,581,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
This list seems reasonable. Atlanta sort of dominates by default. Atlanta is not of those cities' stature but Atlanta is a de facto capital of the South.

Atlanta will eventually rise to the other cities' stature.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 PM

635 posts, read 1,512,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta will eventually rise to the other cities' stature.
It's not far in population from D.C., but a long way in influence obviously. We do pretty much dominate the Southeast, W/O inclusion of Miami which I don't include for obvious reasons as well. We are also catching up to Miami metro in population as well so take that for what is worth. I'be always though of Atlanta as the new Rome (all roads lead to roam, whether you go to heaven or hello you still connect through Hartsfield-Jackson).

Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Atlanta is not of those cities' stature but Atlanta is a de facto capital of the South.
...and that's what it is to the south, but it can't use that role to just shove other cities out of the way to say we're #5 in the nation.. Other cities have arguments and performances that are just as good as Atlanta's.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,726,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Citied that grow rapidly - newer cities also need to mature in amenities. Just because the population is there, doesn't mean that a city is = to a city of another similar population.

Atlanta culturally, has a ways to go, and it's god awful city planning (or lack of it) truly denies one an urban experience. Yes Midtown is getting denser, but there's a lot that needs to happen.

Also, when talking about cities, city population means nothing in reality. Houston is not the 4th largest city. That said, it's large and while it (and Atlanta) are larger than other cities like Denver, it doesn't mean that they offer much more.
I think this is a good post. Population comparisons have to be taken with a grain of salt....like one would take the unemployment rate. The unemployment rate may be lower because somee people are not counted because they have become so discouraged they have stopped looking and fall out of the "official count". Metropolitan areas are kind of the same. Unless people in outlaying counties or areas commute to the core county or city at a certain percentage, they are not included as part of the metro count. In other instances a close by metro may choose to be independent and seperate and hence are not added in.

For example, the Boston area, if it had the same geographic footprint of Atlanta or Houstan or Dallas.......would have at least a million more people than these areas. There was a topic in the City-vs-City forum that ranked population by 100 mile radius and one that ranked them by 50 mile radius.

For example:

25 mile radius from the center. In millions

1 - NYC 13.6
2 - LA 9.5
3 - Chicago 5.9
4 - Philadelphia 4.5
5 - DC 4.1
6 - Houston 3.7
7 - Detroit 3.6
8 - DFW 3.6
9 - Boston 3.4
10 - Miami 3.3
11 - Atlanta 3.1
12 - SF 2.5

And again at 50 miles: In Millions

1 - NYC 18.2
2 - LA 13.9
3 - Chicago 8.9
4 - Philadelphia 7.4
5 - DC 7.0
6 - Boston 6.5
7 - SF 6.2
8 - DFW 5.1
9 - Detroit 4.9
10 - Houston 4.6
11 - Miami 4.3
12 - Atlanta 4.3

And 100 miles:
  1. New York, NY: 28.2 Million
  2. Los Angeles, CA: 17.7 Million
  3. Chicago, IL: 12.74 Million
  4. Washington D.C.: 11.39 Million
  5. San Francisco, CA: 10.26 Million
  6. Boston, MA: 10 Million
  7. Detroit, MI: 9.5 Million
  8. Atlanta, GA: 6.7 Million
  9. Orlando, FL: 6.63 Million
  10. Dallas, TX: 6.38 Million
  11. Tampa, FL: 6.07 Million
  12. Houston, TX: 5.6 Million
  13. Miami, FL: 5.58 Million
  14. Louisville, KY: 4.99 Million
  15. Lexington, KY: 4.86 Million
  16. Huntsville, AL: 4.28 Million
  17. Minneapolis, MN: 4.25 Million
  18. Seattle, WA: 4.24 Million
  19. Phoenix, AZ: 3.68 Million
  20. Birmingham, AL: 3.3 Million
Note that Metropolitan Atlanta is listed at being over 5 million people, while Metro Detroit is listed as just above 4 million. However, at a 50 mile radius Detroit has more people than Altanta which means Metro Altanta's foot print is born from more than a 50 mile radius while Detroits metro foot print, due to counting methodologies, is obviously less than a 50 mile radius given that Metro Atlanta is listed as having a million more people than Metro Detroit. In truth, Atlanta, using a 25, 50, or 100 mile radius is less populated than Detroit but Altanta is ranked as having more people by MSA standards....due to commuting patterns and other things. There is almost 3 million more people in the Detroit area, at a 100 mile radius, than in the same size area centered at Atlanta, and that does not even include the City of Windsor, Ontario Canada, that is the city on the other side of the Detroit river. Adding the Canada side of the Detroit area increases the areas population by about 500,000.

I think Altanta is a fast riser....or should I say it used to be a fast riser, but the truth is that Atlanta is really not a top 10 population center.....yet. Note that some cities, like Philadelphia, are not listed in the 100 mile radius count because they get merged together with a larger areas 100 mile count. In othe words, philadelphia and NY City are within 100 miles of each other, as is true for Milwaukee and Chicago.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-04-2012 at 09:43 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 09:33 AM

4,845 posts, read 6,115,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
...and that's what it is to the south, but it can't use that role to just shove other cities out of the way to say we're #5 in the nation.. Other cities have arguments and performances that are just as good as Atlanta's.
But that not the argument Atlanta tier is Philly, Boston, SF, Houston, Dallas and Miami. Overall I don't see Atlanta down with Pheonix, Denver and Seattle, and that has nothing to do with the region Atlanta in. So I would have to disagree with you, the poster your responding too, and the poster he or she was responding too as well.

Atlanta is some where in the top 12 maybe top 10.
All the "Most Important Cities" Rankings Combined

On the other hand if were taking about culture that's very subjective topic. And different cities generally offer different things. I would say Atlanta offer more as in being the bigger metro than Pheonix, Denver and Seattle. but each them also offer their own culture and identity which would make offer different things anyways.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
But that not the argument Atlanta tier is Philly, Boston, SF, Houston, Dallas and Miami. Overall I don't see Atlanta down with Pheonix, Denver and Seattle, and that has nothing to do with the region Atlanta in. So I would have to disagree with you, the poster your responding too, and the poster he or she was responding too as well.

Atlanta is some where in the top 12 maybe top 10.
All the "Most Important Cities" Rankings Combined

On the other hand if were taking about culture that's very subjective topic. And different cities generally offer different things. I would say Atlanta offer more as in being the bigger metro than Pheonix, Denver and Seattle. but each them also offer their own culture and identity which would make offer different things anyways.
What I was contesting is that Atlanta is the fifth most important city in America. I only quoted that poster for that one statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta