Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:37 PM

997 posts, read 4,646,175 times

Advertisements

It happend at the Windward Marriott in Alpharetta. My husband and I along with two of our children went down to the pool. My teenage daughter stayed up in the room so I left my purse and jewelry in the room. My husband also left his wallet in his jeans back pocket. We did this because we knew she was there.

My cell rang in the room so she answered it. Being the sweet girl that she is she came all the way down to the pool and brought it to me. Later we all came back to the room and noticed that the door was open. I actually scolded my daughter for leaving the hotel room door open. Immediately ran to my jewelry and it was still there. Thought everything was ok.

We ordered a pizza for the kids for dinner. Then my husband checked his Jeans and couldn't find his money. I thought he misplaced it. I said I have cash in my wallet and went to get it and what do you know....No money there either. Almost $300 in cash gone.

We called management and Alpharetta police. Management ran a check on the door access and it came back that someone swiped a key while we were at the pool. We were livid. The hotel was less than sympathetic. Actually it seemed that they could have cared less. They could have atleast made it seem as if they actually cared to some degree. They did nothing for us at all. This all happened on the concierge level because my husband it platinum with Marriott. So much for that.

After all that, we asked for our money back and stayed at the Embassy Suites at North Point. I feel so bad because I scolded my daughter because I thought she left the door open. It turns out in the end she shut it because a key was used to swipe the door to gain access 20 minutes after she left.

That's our rambling story. What a welcome to ATL for us. We just finished the home inspection on our new home and were so excited about everything. I knew there was alot of crime in Atl but I guess I was naive to the fact to think that it couldn't happen in Alpharetta.

Hopefully that was just one bad experience for us and we will have many happy times in ATL to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 09:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
That's not a robbery, that's a theft, actually that might be considered a burglary. It's just that the word "robbery" is going to bring images into peoples heads of you guys getting a gun pointed to your head. But one time I did stay in a hotel in Lawrenceville (keep in mind this was for a full month) and had a burglar enter my car and steal a pack of gum and change (could of been way worse if I actually had stuff in my car). Regardless, very sorry for your experience, you really have to be careful EVERYWHERE...it's such a crazy world.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:06 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
I would assume you filed a police report locally when you call the Alpharetta police.

Call the corporate offices of the hotel (national office, not the local) and ask for an upper-manager in customer relations. Explain what happened. Offer to fax/email the police report. Do not demand anything but plead the fact you are new arrivals here and if they're halfway decent they'll offer you something for the trouble. And do make sure you report the conduct of the hotel employees. It could have been an inside job since the person used a key, you know. They have cameras on each floor. I'd be surprised if the person who did it isn't on cam. If you find it was an employee, you can also file a civil suit for anything lost + trouble against that person once they're brought in.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:14 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
I would think the hotel would be responsible because a card key was clearly used. I should imagine its one of their employees.

I hope you filed a police report.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:26 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,406,323 times
Sorry to hear,

Anyway, as a long term traveler let me make a suggestion. When you travel anywhere, make sure that when leaving the room place the Do not Disturb sign on the door. Most Marriott's have the sign that slides in the key swipe area.
Turn on a light and turn your TV on CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News so it can be heard when standing at the door, plus being a full news station you will have a constant communication process. It is confusing to criminals. Is it the TV, are the folks in the room talking, and most of all if it is news then a MAN is probably in the room.

Also, to one of the previous posters, they are right. Did you report it to the Police, if it was a key swipe then you MUST report it directly to Marriott Corporate. You should also place a complaint to the BBB. That will get Marriott Corp's attention also.

You may find that it was one of the hotel staff doing the robbery. With the shortage of housekeeping folks, etc., and let's not forget the wonderful world of outsourcing contracts by companies, many hotels are getting contracted labor from firms using illegals, past criminals, and those with false ID's. Not all mind you, but many.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:53 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Our car was broken into..side window smashed..in broad daylight in a church parking lot right across from the capitol building. The criminal element in Atlanta is unbelievable.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:55 AM

605 posts, read 2,381,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Sorry to hear,

Anyway, as a long term traveler let me make a suggestion. When you travel anywhere, make sure that when leaving the room place the Do not Disturb sign on the door. Most Marriott's have the sign that slides in the key swipe area.
Turn on a light and turn your TV on CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News so it can be heard when standing at the door, plus being a full news station you will have a constant communication process. It is confusing to criminals. Is it the TV, are the folks in the room talking, and most of all if it is news then a MAN is probably in the room.

Also, to one of the previous posters, they are right. Did you report it to the Police, if it was a key swipe then you MUST report it directly to Marriott Corporate. You should also place a complaint to the BBB. That will get Marriott Corp's attention also.

You may find that it was one of the hotel staff doing the robbery. With the shortage of housekeeping folks, etc., and let's not forget the wonderful world of outsourcing contracts by companies, many hotels are getting contracted labor from firms using illegals, past criminals, and those with false ID's. Not all mind you, but many.
So you leave the TV and the lights on, each and every time, just on the off-chance there may be a burgler around who decides to target your room in particular?

This is one of the dumbest ideas I've heard in a long time! As well as the huge waste of energy resources, if it's loud enough to be heard in the corridor it's disturbing your neighbours too.

The chances of you ever being burgled in you hotel room are negligible (you're much more likely to get run over in the parking lot) - use the in-room safe if there is one or carry your valuables with you if it's that much of a worry.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:58 AM

201 posts, read 1,013,194 times
I've been robbed at hotels twice, once in Atlantic City, once in Orlando.

I have learned my lesson, you are such a target.

Your homeowners insurance will cover you, but your loss may not have been enough.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:23 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Our car was broken into..side window smashed..in broad daylight in a church parking lot right across from the capitol building. The criminal element in Atlanta is unbelievable.
Dude, the criminal element is not "unbelievable" in a place because your car window got smashed. Car burglary is probably the most common crime there is nationwide, and there is no human populated area in the US free of such easy, opportunistic crimes.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:03 AM

997 posts, read 4,646,175 times
Thanks for all your responses. Marriott wasn't too helpful because the key that was used to swipe the door was a "guest" key. They said it wasn't staff because the guest key was used. Someone had a key to enter our room. To us it doesn't matter because that just shows that there is some sort of flaw in their system which they obviously arent willing to admit to. We were all at the pool at that time it all happened so it wasn't any of our keys and we still have the 2 they gave us at check in.

We did file a report with the Alpharetta police and my husband is writing to corporate. All I can say is that we will never be staying there again nor do I recommend anyone else to stay there for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta