Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:05 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStJudge View Post
I think there are enough nail salons, weave shops, gold teeth makers, chicken wing shops, check cash/money order places, counterfeit clothing stores, scented oil shops, stores selling Wild Irish Rose and tall boys, and white sock selling shops in the area; so we probably can do without anymore of those.
One day last summer I checked out the Mall at 82 Peachtree and there were at least two guys selling scented oil, and I think another couple of shops had them as well. Who is buying all that stuff? I actually bought some myself because I felt guilty about not buying anything, and then I didn't know what to do with it.

South downtown has such great bones. I would love to see it filled with cafes and shops other than those you mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 AM

10 posts, read 13,172 times
Hey atlmuslimah,

i looked at this myself, just throw out a couple ideas. Burgers are pretty universal, and i don't think there is a good one downthere. Think you could do a simple independent "fiveguys" type model there and make a killing for lunch.I don't think there is really much alternative as many above have expressed.

A bike shop, repairs and sales. Bike use in atlanta is growing as cars, gas, and traffic make them a logical choice. Hardest part would probably be finding a good tech. some places also do bike storage/parking(like coat room) and coffee/internet as a service to riders. You could do a subscription model with that. Parking guestimates a month for GSU is probably like 50$. Half that per person/mo might bring some business. need to look at the statistics.

I thought maybe a higher end hookah bar that had soccer games/ internation television piped in and maybe served drinks. You could also do a cracker barrel model where you have a gift shop that sells hookahs at 100% etc. Would be complementary to the drug business actually. lot of asians at GSU and people who would like the laidback atmosphere of the men's club type hookah bar found scattered about the middle east.

i'm looking for a business partner as well if your interested.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM

39 posts, read 110,755 times
Downtown Atlanta has attracted people from different backgrounds, different parts of the city, as well as different income levels. Downtown residents walk to work, while others are sitting in traffic, enjoy incredible views of the horizon and parks, while others view sprawling parking lot outside the spotlight. In June 2010, Atlanta was considered as 9th best city for young professionals and businesses which compared number of companies, graduates average income, cost of living and unemployment rates etc.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:14 AM

112 posts, read 171,457 times
Default Broad Street 1912

Polling neighbors, I got this request: " I would like to see a green grocer, a coffee shop/bookstore, a wine bar, and any variety of restaurants....no fast food though! We need businesses that will utilize the wide sidewalks, cater to daytime and evening crowds, and will proactively push for a better Broad Street."

In addition I got this nostalgic tidbit from a Broad Street neighbor: Since Broad Street was first extended from the railroad tracks to Mitchell Street (and later extended further south), it's been home to a variety of businesses (clothing, furniture, saloon, carriages, lawyers, dentists, hardware, printing, etc.) but has always had fresh produce/groceries:

Atlanta’s Produce Row | Atlanta Reconstitution

The 1912 Atlanta City Directory lists the following businesses on just this one block - Central Fruit & Produce, Barnes Fain (mentioned in the article - in the vacant lot next door to Miller's Rexall that was later a Piggly-Wiggly), Fidelity Fruit & Produce, Great A&P Tea (like A&P supermarkets), Gate City Produce, Wesley Produce, Conley & Ennis, Southern Produce, and McMillan Produce.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:08 AM

112 posts, read 171,457 times
Default Brighten Up Broad Street

We hope this event will showcase the potential that Broad Street has for business opportunities. In the last month, the City has fixed the sidewalks and street lights from MLK to Trinity. New planters have been installed and graffiti has been removed from buildings. It will be the same night as the Castleberry Art Stroll so make a night of it!
Atlanta Downtown Neighborhood Association » Brighten Up Broad Street

Old 09-12-2012, 12:10 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
That section of downtown is a hidden gem. It gets too much bad stigma, but it has all the infrastructure to be a great walkable, urban neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: