Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:40 PM

74 posts, read 342,398 times

Advertisements

What potential business between Broad St and Mitchell St would others like to see open in this area of downtown Atlanta? I'm conducting business research to see what needs or niches are not being met in Atlanta's downtown business corridor. I appreciate everyone's insight. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,967,037 times
A fresh fruit stand.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:57 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Eats should open another location on Broad. Guaranteed money maker.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
A fresh fruit stand.
There is one.

Downtown Atlanta

Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM

112 posts, read 171,523 times
Default Broad Street Wish List

My wish list is long. First, start with some stores and restaurants that cater to the demographic of people that actually live and work downtown, not the addicts and dealers that take MARTA in every day to get drunk and high on Broad Street.

I think there are enough nail salons, weave shops, gold teeth makers, chicken wing shops, check cash/money order places, counterfeit clothing stores, scented oil shops, stores selling Wild Irish Rose and tall boys, and white sock selling shops in the area; so we probably can do without anymore of those.

I'd like an actual Cafe on Broad that serves food instead of a 24 hour nightclub operating on a restaurant license.

I'd like an actual Market on Broad instead of a "convenience" store that allows drug dealers and drunks hang out all day and accepts EBT cards for beer.

I'd like an actual grocery store where I could buy and save instead of the one that sold spoiled milk and rotten meat to the elderly pensioners living on the Westside.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,397 times
No businesses are going to thrive in the area until quality of life issues are addressed and while illegal behavior (prostitution, drug dealing, public drunkenness, loitering, panhandling) are allowed to flourish at all hours of the day and night.

Enforce the laws, then the businesses will come without us begging for them.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,379,725 times
A medical marijuana dispensary.

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 AM

172 posts, read 393,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownresident View Post
No businesses are going to thrive in the area until quality of life issues are addressed and while illegal behavior (prostitution, drug dealing, public drunkenness, loitering, panhandling) are allowed to flourish at all hours of the day and night.

Enforce the laws, then the businesses will come without us begging for them.
I strongly disagree. Back in 2007 where the first big wave of nightlife places on Edgewood Ave. were coming online (Corner Tavern, Cafe Circa, Noni's, The Bureau) there were drug dealers, pandhandlers, and prostitutes all over. I used to watch with amazement as cadres of small white girls would push through a corner full of saggy jeaned, white t-shirt wearing drug dealers to come to these places.

Once these businesses took hold, the problem elements in the neighborhood slowly faded away. There are still a couple, but Edgewood Ave. is a far cry from what it used to be. I feel like the same thing could happen on Broad - particularly since Broad has more adjacent parking and better infrastructure.

What would I like to see? Broad is blessed with really wide sidewalks so I would be partial to the types of businesses that could take advantage of that: Restaurants / Cafes / Pubs with sidewalk seating, Food Markets, Fashion Boutiques. I think the key is to start with multiple quality eating and drinking establishments that can do good business at night. As they prosper, the block will gain value and clean up. Once it is reliably cleared then perhaps that's where a wave of daytime businesses like sandwich shops, boutiques, and markets can start attracting the less adventurous government employees in the area.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 AM

876 posts, read 2,279,433 times
I would talk to some of the people who run businesses in that area. I think you will get a valuable earful of experience; particularly with the locally-owned restaurant owners. I think there is potential, particularly catering to the college students and daytime office workers, but what type of business, don't really know as the 2 target customers I mention are somewhat divergent. Probably a restaurant that caters to the lunch crowd. The Broad street area is much cleaner and somewhat improved than it was a decade ago, but I think opening any business there is still quite risky overall.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times
I don't think Amy from Alpharetta feels safe going to that area at night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: