Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 PM

6 posts, read 61,803 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving from CA to GA can anyone tell me what you have to do to get a GA license? When I moved from PA to CA it was a real pain to get a CA license I had to take a written test and etc. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 06:16 PM

98 posts, read 471,437 times
It's easy.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:52 PM

218 posts, read 1,189,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallulah94 View Post
I am thinking of moving from CA to GA can anyone tell me what you have to do to get a GA license? When I moved from PA to CA it was a real pain to get a CA license I had to take a written test and etc. Thanks
Yes, you have to do the same thing here, but, it is relatively easy.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:04 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,954 times
I just got mine a few months ago and I think I needed a local bill with my address on it and my birth certificate. I was in and out in 15 minutes tops. It was a nice break after the 12 years of hassle to get anything done in Florida.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:41 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Just moved here and just got it done. Very simple.

For your driver's license, you need proof of residence with your address (that's the address that gets put on your license) and proof of citizenship. Then you just fill out a form, surrender your out of state license, take a picture and pay a fee. Done.

As for license plates, also simple. First get your driver's license. Then get GA car insurance. Then take your original out of state registration and title (or Lien holder name and address if financed) to the County tax office, pay a fee and all done.

Remember that in GA, licenses and plate are handled by 2 different agencies. Licenses by the State and plates by the County.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,826 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Just moved here and just got it done. Very simple.

For your driver's license, you need proof of residence with your address (that's the address that gets put on your license) and proof of citizenship. Then you just fill out a form, surrender your out of state license, take a picture and pay a fee. Done.

As for license plates, also simple. First get your driver's license. Then get GA car insurance. Then take your original out of state registration and title (or Lien holder name and address if financed) to the County tax office, pay a fee and all done.

Remember that in GA, licenses and plate are handled by 2 different agencies. Licenses by the State and plates by the County.
I have looked into this already as I am moving from Fl. As far as I know as long as you live in a recipical state you go to the DMV and change your licience(drivers) by turning in your old one and taking a vison test. Your plates you bring in your old registration and title prove residency and get new plates..Turn over your old plates to them or return them to the state you are from or throw em out..all depends on where you are from and how it is handled..here in Fl ya just throw em away or hang em on your kids wall..lol oh and you need proof of insurance(GA) for the registration...
Hope this helps...Here is a link for you to check out
Driver Information - DDS
Lisa

Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
Just make sure if you go to the Marietta DMV you pack a lunch....for some reason the are really slow there. 1 hour minimum

Old 06-01-2017, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 643 times
My boyfriend in TX wants to have his 35 yr old brother, living in GA, drive his 2nd vehicle. Vehicle is being financed and is registered in TX under boyfriends name. The brother living in GA will have insurance and my boyfriend will continue making the payments. There is $9000 left on loan and about $2000 upside down. My boyfriend recently purchased a new vehicle and will not be driving this 2nd vehicle. Any thoughts on this?

Old 06-01-2017, 11:32 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
I seem to recall when I first moved here in 1996 the DMV had a mobile bus that went around and stopped at different locations where you could take the written test and get your license.

Am I totally remembering that wrong, or was there ever such a thing?

Old 06-01-2017, 03:24 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cf0336fc View Post
My boyfriend in TX wants to have his 35 yr old brother, living in GA, drive his 2nd vehicle. Vehicle is being financed and is registered in TX under boyfriends name. The brother living in GA will have insurance and my boyfriend will continue making the payments. There is $9000 left on loan and about $2000 upside down. My boyfriend recently purchased a new vehicle and will not be driving this 2nd vehicle. Any thoughts on this?
No worries, until something happens and then you get deported?

Not sure how that works anymore so probably not worth the risk.

(j/k)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: