Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:06 AM

40 posts, read 79,708 times

Advertisements

I fell in love with the movie Gone with the wind when I was ONLY 8 years old. As a teenager I became a fanatic fan.....as a teen and then adult I am still a fan. Old dream comes true to visit Atlanta with my husband a 15 months old baby in May. We got 2 or 3 days int he city.

We'd like to stay in a nice but not too expensive Hotel where we can easily have access to the City Bus Tour and of course Gone with the Wind museum and Margaret Mitchell's home.

Visiting Stately Oaks Historic Home & Plantation Communityand we'll be doing Gone with the wind tour of he city.

1- Where would be a good location to look for a Hotel?
2- Any hotel recommendations?
3-What would be a good restaurant TO DINE AT?

Thank you Atlanta....I am coming soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 11:37 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,887,114 times
Lol. It ain't all that. Just a city. Don't come with high expectations and get disappointed.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,542 times
I Love Atlanta, it's a great city. All the hotels in the Midtown area with the Gone with the Wind Museum are pricey; Residence Inn may be reasonable though, around 150ish something. You could go more towards downtown to the FairField Inn or Courtyard which may be better.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,943,430 times
You would also enjoy the Atlanta History Center.
Atlanta History Center - Located on 33 acres of history in Buckhead, Atlanta

Old 04-02-2012, 11:12 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,896,622 times
Make sure to east at Mary Mac's Tea Room on Ponce De Leon Ave in Midtown for some southern comfort food. Best place to stay for a real feel of the city is Midtown or Downtown. Midtown is more expensive, but the Downtown hotel district has a lot of tourist destinations like Centennial Olympic Park, Hard Rock Cafe, etc. Make a visit to the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial and visit Piedmont Park for the "central park" of Atlanta.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:49 PM

74 posts, read 189,605 times
if you will have a car downtown Marietta has a Gone With the Wind museum
gwtwmarietta.com or you could take a CCT bus to Marietta and take short cab ride to the Marietta Square. Marietta is 20 miles north of Atlanta off I75.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:09 PM

8,487 posts, read 15,017,485 times

Scarlett: Atlanta!
Mammy: Savannah would be better for ya. You'd just get in trouble in Atlanta.
Scarlett: What trouble are you talking about?

Couldn't resist

With that said, I really hope you enjoy your stay in Atlanta!...and that you aren't coming for that Old South charm. That died when Sherman belted out of town (if it ever existed). Margaret Mitchell mainly wrote Gone With the Wind to put in to print the idealized version of the Old South that her parents and grandparents (and those around them) had from their experiences prior to and during the war. I recall an interview I read of hers that something to effect that at the time she was worried those stories would be lost forever. Well, today, they pretty much are.

In Atlanta, we only have a tacit connection to that era and it's mostly hard to find (this was on purpose). The old city of Atlanta today is as alien as New York City would have been to the residents of Atlanta of that era. You'll have fun for sure, but outside of Margaret Mitchell's last residence you won't find much in the way of what you are probably looking for here. Contrary to Scarlett above, for you should be shouting "Savannah!" (or Charleston or New Orleans). In those cities, the Old South history and charm literally oozes out of the sidewalk.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 PM

725 posts, read 1,280,470 times
Visit Oakland Cemetary while you are here.

It has a very gothic/ southern feel and margaret mitchell is buried there.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,778,136 times
Quote:
Contrary to Scarlett above, for you should be shouting "Savannah!" (or Charleston or New Orleans). In those cities, the Old South history and charm literally oozes out of the sidewalk.
There are beautiful tours of Plantations in the Charleston area. I agree - if you are looking for Old South charm - Savannah or Charleton should be your next destination

Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,884,567 times
like some others here, i hate to burst your bubble but if you're looking for the 'old south', it's not here. sherman burned down the *entire city* and we only have four buildings in the entire city that predate the civil war.

that's not to say atlanta isn't nice or that it doesn't have charm, it does, but it's more the charm of being a big city located in beautiful natural surroundings.

if you're looking for the 'old south', the only place you're going to find with much stuff predating the civil war in the metro area is the square in roswell georgia, and the square in marietta.

in the region, however, we have tons of cities bursting in old southern charm. check out macon and savannah, georgia, charleston and columbia, south carolina, and montgomery, alabama.

however, if you are going to be in atlanta anyway, you should definitely check out the grant park cyclorama, it's a huge life size painting/diorama that documents the civil war, it's really something to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta