Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 09:54 PM

5 posts, read 16,396 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Atlanta withing the next several months and need advice on apartment locations. I am a 50 something single, retired female with 2 children who are college graduates and will be visiting because we are a close knit family.

Although I am retired and in that age bracket, I am not who has the retirement frame of mind. I love to browse and get out and make myself do things. I am fun loving with a a great sense of humor so I am not interested in a basic retirement area. Basically, I would like to live in an apartment that is Gated (where the gates actually do work) and in a basically safe area which would allow me to walk if need be. If there is a nearby train or bus, that would be a plus. I am willing to consider paying a little more if safety is on a higher level.

I have lived in a large city(DC and the surrrounding Suburbs) and now live in a small city in the middle of nowhere. I am not one who loves to go all of the time, but I do miss having the option of various activities.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 11:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
You didn't mention any kind of budget.

Kennesaw is a suburb NW of Atlanta and it's a pretty busy area of town. There is a community called Ridenour that has varied mixed areas of apartments, 55 and over apartments, condos, etc. It's a long Barrett Parkway. Technically it's within walking distance to a lot of stuff. It's not exactly a Mayberry kinda walk as that road is BUSY, so you'll be on a sidewalk looking at thousands of cars as you walk. Still, it's convenient to a lot of stuff. That particular area is overall low on crime as well (for Atlanta).

Transit isn't a big option here. Atlantans rely on their cars more than breathing. Cobb County (where Kennesaw is) does have a limited bus service that runs around the area and into Atlanta (eventually if you stay on a bus for days), but it's not a transit system as an alternative to a car - it's more of a very basic system just for people who don't own cars at all. Atlanta's rail system unfortunately does not come out that way.

Their link: Livingchoices.com: Real Estate - New Homes, Homes for Sale, Apartment Rentals (http://www.livingchoices.com/apartment/apartmentdetail.aspx?mid=0520&aptid=203455 - broken link) - generic referral and review site info.

Their main page with other communities they have: Walton Communities - Luxury Apartment Homes

Old 09-16-2007, 07:32 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
My mother has a friend in your age bracket who has just moved to one of the new complexes near Perimeter Mall and is loving the life style.

What is your budget? Then we can be more helpful...

Old 09-16-2007, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. I am thinking of spending between $800-1,000. I would like a two bedroom but can make do with a one bedroom for a nicer and safer complex.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 PM

65 posts, read 215,976 times
For the price they are talking about in rent you could rent a home, or do a lease option to purchase later. There is a lot of inventory on the market and you could find something that is better than an apartment, unless you just want that enviroment. Apartments are OK. But why rent when you could be owning or setting yourself up to own....Bill

Last edited by BillWagner; 09-16-2007 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-17-2007, 09:50 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWagner View Post
For the price they are talking about in rent you could rent a home, or do a lease option to purchase later. There is a lot of inventory on the market and you could find something that is better than an apartment, unless you just want that enviroment. Apartments are OK. But why rent when you could be owning or setting yourself up to own....Bill
Ahhhh spoken like a true realtor.

But.. ahem... if someone is relocating to a completely new area, then most people (ok, most people who aren't realtors) suggest that RENTING is BETTER at first. That way, you can "test out" a particular area or neighborhood to make sure it's a side of town you want to live in. Now, later, if you decide you like that area, then you can move forward and look for a place to buy at that point. Just think of how many people haphazardly move into a new area and just buy something quick as they can, only later to regret their decision? Renting first, buying later, is a safer alternative to avoid that.

Plus, there is a certain percentage of people that actually prefer renting all the time, though. I'm not one of them, but I know people who are. You can move when you like once your lease is up without having to worry about selling, no lawn to mow, and if anything at all breaks down to a faucet, they'll come in and fix it for you at no additional charge beyond your rent. For some, that's more desirable than owning.

Here are some interesting articles that weigh the advantages (or not) of renting vs. buying:

http://www.salary.com/personal/layou...35&part=par241
-----
For some, renting is better than buying - Real Estate - MSNBC.com
-----
Is It Better to Buy or Rent? - New York Times
-----
» Rent Forever, Don’t Buy A Home*on*Blueprint for Financial Prosperity

Old 09-18-2007, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the replies thus far. Are you familiar with a complex that might meet my criteria in either the Midtown or Buckhead area or, do you not think those areas are suited for me. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: