Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahwehsDaughter View Post
WOW! That is TRULY a scary thought, (unemployment in DC is LESS than $400/week!) To be honest, that was my plan, but we'll see.

THANK YOU!
I believe the max in Georgia is $330/week before taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 02:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I believe the max in Georgia is $330/week before taxes.
I didn't mean to go off-topic earlier when I mentioned that unemployment benefit is based on the state where you worked. I just know this because of my past experience when relocating to another state.

If it makes anyone here feel better, Georgia is far from the lowest benefit. Mississippi pays an average weekly benefit of $190, max is $235. The max benefit in FL is $275. Even the length you can collect varies from state to state.

[URL="https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemployment/"]City-Data has a forum[/URL] dedicated to discussing employment issues, but here's a current chart by state.

[url=http://fileunemployment.org/unemployment-benefits-comparison-by-state]Unemployment Benefits Comparison by State[/url]

Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I didn't mean to go off-topic earlier when I mentioned that unemployment benefit is based on the state where you worked. I just know this because of my past experience when relocating to another state.

If it makes anyone here feel better, Georgia is far from the lowest benefit. Mississippi pays an average weekly benefit of $190, max is $235. The max benefit in FL is $275. Even the length you can collect varies from state to state.

City-Data has a forum dedicated to discussing employment issues, but here's a current chart by state.

Unemployment Benefits Comparison by State
That chart isn't correct. They say MN has a max of $372/week. According to Minnesota's web site, the max state benefit is $597/week, and I know from past firsthand experience that it was over $500/week back in 2003/2004.

Information Handbook

Who knows what else might be incorrect?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 PM

6 posts, read 7,955 times
Quote:

City-Data has a forum dedicated to discussing employment issues, but here's a current chart by state.

Unemployment Benefits Comparison by State
justNancy: it's ok. It's helping me to get a full grasp of where I'm moving to. I know that the cost of living is less expensive, but the totality of that hasn't really hit me yet - and I doubt it really will until I get there. I'm looking at various apartment complexes and the prices are flooring me! Some of the complexes are just beautiful, (and I know to take that with a grain of salt until I actually SEE it first-hand), and not places that I would imagine affording here in DC, as they would be upwards of $1700/month, (not including utilities)

Old 07-22-2012, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That chart isn't correct. They say MN has a max of $372/week. According to Minnesota's web site, the max state benefit is $597/week, and I know from past firsthand experience that it was over $500/week back in 2003/2004.

[url=http://www.uimn.org/uimn/applicants/help-support/info-handbook/after-you-apply.jsp]Information Handbook[/url]

Who knows what else might be incorrect?
I don't want to debate this with you, but the chart in the link I posted is pretty accurate. I'm not perfect, but I'm very careful when I post information. I made sure most of the information was correct before I posted the link.

Edit: I just clicked on the link in my earlier post again and the chart clearly shows Minnesota's maximum benefit is $597, not that it's relative to this thread. It shows Georgia's is $330. I don't want to hijack this thread and I apologize to the OP, but I have no idea what you're reading. In post #10 I said that information should always be checked by state, since I know it can change. I've done a lot of my own research regarding relocation, so I was only trying to help.

Last edited by justNancy; 07-22-2012 at 01:59 AM..

Old 07-22-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
justNancy: it's ok. It's helping me to get a full grasp of where I'm moving to. I know that the cost of living is less expensive, but the totality of that hasn't really hit me yet - and I doubt it really will until I get there. I'm looking at various apartment complexes and the prices are flooring me! Some of the complexes are just beautiful, (and I know to take that with a grain of salt until I actually SEE it first-hand), and not places that I would imagine affording here in DC, as they would be upwards of $1700/month, (not including utilities)
I know what you mean. I lived in the Northeast most of my life before I moved to Florida. You can't even find a small 1 bedroom apartment in a nice section of Boston for under $1,500 a month. In the area I live now, there are annual rentals for less than $700. However, the salaries and job opportunities are very different. My income was cut in half when I moved here, but I don't live in Atlanta, so I can't provide any information about jobs. I'm in a different situation than you are and have been researching places to retire (if that's possible!) and have been considering Roswell for a long time. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2012, 04:33 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
Quote:
As my current position is coming to an end (company going out of business), I am considering a relocation to Atlanta. Although ATL used to be "the place" for me during my college years, outside of a recent weekend visit in Feb (to visit w/ parents who live in Conyers), I don't know that much about the Atlanta area anymore, and so...I'm clueless.

I'm a Single 41 year-old, black female, and I'd like suggestions on where to live. Some information to help everyone help me, (I pray that this is enough information):

1. Budget: looking to pay no more than $1,000 per month, although $700-$850 is desired.

2. House/Condo/Townhome?: no particular preference, but I am planning on renting before i decide to buy. Although a townhome is more attractive to me, I'm open to apartments, condos, etc.

3. Employment Status (commute/work from home): commute.

3a. Work location: that's up in the air, as where I apply depends on where I end up deciding to live.

4. Children (public school vs. private): N/A

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: A mix, with a lean more to the "urban" would be ideal.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?: Although I have a car, I'd prefer to commute via public transportation, so being relatively close or having access is ideal.

*SIDE NOTE* I'm currently living in the DC Metro area and commute into DC for work. It's 'easier' (on my mental &physical well being, as the gridlock here is a NIGHTMARE - not to mention the gas/maintenance savings), to use public transportation, so that's what I'm used to. Is the MARTA system 'reliable', (which is relative, seeing as how DC's Metro has had some serious issues over the past few months)?

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: a mix of singles and families would be good.

8. Airport access, important or not?: it's desirable, but not overly important, (I can always do the Airport Shuttles as I do now, if I need to get there.) Does the MARTA system go out to the airport?

If I haven't provided enough information, please ask away. Thanks - in advance - for any and all information/suggestions/recommendations.
just curious from the username, are you an african jew? if so we have a community of african jews here in west end.

as for marta access, and looking for rent, sub $1000? i guess since you're renting for one and not for a family that's reasonable, but anyway with that rent cap, you have two options, first would be living pretty far out and far away from anything including public transit, and living in town in a neighbourhood that's on the edge of revitalization rather than a fully restored neighbourhood. there are some pretty good options, really, i'm not talking about 'the hood' or anything. in fact after doing a search it looks like you have a lot better options than i thought you would, some spots in midtown and even va-hi!

check out this link for some apartments/townhomes that are for rent right now:

Atlanta Real Estate & Atlanta GA Homes for Sale - Zillow

Old 07-22-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I don't want to debate this with you, but the chart in the link I posted is pretty accurate. I'm not perfect, but I'm very careful when I post information. I made sure most of the information was correct before I posted the link.

Edit: I just clicked on the link in my earlier post again and the chart clearly shows Minnesota's maximum benefit is $597, not that it's relative to this thread. It shows Georgia's is $330. I don't want to hijack this thread and I apologize to the OP, but I have no idea what you're reading. In post #10 I said that information should always be checked by state, since I know it can change. I've done a lot of my own research regarding relocation, so I was only trying to help.
Sorry, I was looking at the the table on the page link you provided, and it was wrong for MN. I tossed them an email with a link to the actual information ... it appears that they have changed it to reflect reality.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 7,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
just curious from the username, are you an african jew? if so we have a community of african jews here in west end.

as for marta access, and looking for rent, sub $1000? i guess since you're renting for one and not for a family that's reasonable, but anyway with that rent cap, you have two options, first would be living pretty far out and far away from anything including public transit, and living in town in a neighbourhood that's on the edge of revitalization rather than a fully restored neighbourhood. there are some pretty good options, really, i'm not talking about 'the hood' or anything. in fact after doing a search it looks like you have a lot better options than i thought you would, some spots in midtown and even va-hi!

check out this link for some apartments/townhomes that are for rent right now:

Atlanta Real Estate & Atlanta GA Homes for Sale - Zillow
bryantm: Greetings...no, not an African Jew...just a 'regular' African-American Christian female. I've gotten that question several times, (my email address is similar).

As for the rental that I'm looking for - yes, it will just be "ME", "MYSELF" and "I". My children are 'grown' and it's now time for Mommy to do her own thing!

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look and see what they have to offer.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 976 times
Hi OP, I've lived in Georgia pretty much my entire life (I'm 22). My parents have a house in Conyers, Ga and an apartment in Atlanta, Ga. I'm actually considering relocating to Washington, DC with my sister because it seems like they have more jobs in my field there.

I know a few people have suggested Dunwoody, but be aware that Dunwoody tends to be a high crime area. It's not nearly as rough as Gwinnett County (please, don't ever move there, especially if you have children), but it is the center of three major colleges (one that I attended). As a result, the area is prone to break-ins and theft. I think, Kennesaw, GA is also very affordable and safer than Dunwoody. It's home to Kennesaw university, but the university itself has a low crime rate. I have a friend that lives in Kennesaw and she enjoys it, considering she is a Northerner. Because you are looking for someplace MARTA accessible, that narrows your scope, as Conyers is a great family - oriented, well-priced area, but it lacks true public transportation, although it's only about 25 minutes from Atlanta. I went to college in Dunwoody and commuted from Conyers for 3 years, so it's not that bad of a trip.

Dunwoody also has terrible traffic. Pretty much the worse in the Atlanta area in my opinion. The traffic downtown does not even compare to the traffic Dunwoody has near Perimeter mall especially. But if you are looking into Dunwoody, the Amelie Apartments are very nice... I have a friend that lives there.

Honestly, if you are looking for culture and upbeat weekend life, I would just suggest finding a place in the inner city. Maybe Atlantic Station or a place on Edgewood. Edgewood is an up and coming area with great eating spots and 10 mins from Midtown. However, it's a bit more expensive. The quality of schools vary throughout Atlanta, so there's not really one spot with excellent schools. Dunwoody is known for its private institutions, especially the Marist School. But the better schools are in the suburbs, so if you want quality, you would have to forgo public trans.

I hope you find your dream spot. But where ever you go, don't settled down in GWINNETT COUNTRY, RIVERDALE, OR STONE MOUNTAIN. Gwinnett is on the news almost every night; some seriously messed up things are going on there.

Wishing you the best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta